It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:46 am

New creator and user looking for general help

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
nkonnuru

New creator and user looking for general help

Post by nkonnuru »

Hi everyone, I'm a new user for rainmeter, and I downloaded it mostly to make small side projects for myself related to personal QoL on my computer. I was going to try and make things such as my own todo list and the such. I looked through the basic manual and all, but I thought it would be good to ask here for general tips on how to start making your own skin with custom things and what sort of things make a good/seamless skin.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: New creator and user looking for general help

Post by Yincognito »

nkonnuru wrote: January 25th, 2024, 6:20 am Hi everyone, I'm a new user for rainmeter, and I downloaded it mostly to make small side projects for myself related to personal QoL on my computer. I was going to try and make things such as my own todo list and the such. I looked through the basic manual and all, but I thought it would be good to ask here for general tips on how to start making your own skin with custom things and what sort of things make a good/seamless skin.
Mostly, it's about:
- keep things ordered (order matters in the code)
- keep things grouped (measures first, meters second)
- start things simple (helps in the beginner phase)
- take the next step only after the previous step is complete and fully understood
- know what you want and be specific, have a logical plan
- use the manual to experiment and learn, ask for help when you stumble
- test with other skins to get the idea, but start fresh to know it yourself
- most things are possible, so be creative to find out how to do it
None of these are mandatory, but they help in making stuff clearer and more efficient.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
nkonnuru

Post by nkonnuru »

Yincognito wrote: January 25th, 2024, 12:23 pm Mostly, it's about:
- keep things ordered (order matters in the code)
- keep things grouped (measures first, meters second)
- start things simple (helps in the beginner phase)
- take the next step only after the previous step is complete and fully understood
- know what you want and be specific, have a logical plan
- use the manual to experiment and learn, ask for help when you stumble
- test with other skins to get the idea, but start fresh to know it yourself
- most things are possible, so be creative to find out how to do it
None of these are mandatory, but they help in making stuff clearer and more efficient.
Alright, thanks! Do you know any resources that you think would be most helpful?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

nkonnuru wrote: January 25th, 2024, 7:20 pm Alright, thanks! Do you know any resources that you think would be most helpful?
Generally speaking, the most helpful is the manual. Being specific requires you to be specific as well, like describing in what way or in what area would you like that resource to be helpful.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

nkonnuru wrote: January 25th, 2024, 7:20 pm Do you know any resources that you think would be most helpful?
In addition to the link of the manual, posted byYincognito, here are two other, I think useful, links, to get understood skins related things:
  • Getting started - basic things anyone should know when start working with Rainmeter skins.
  • Anatomy of a skin - How can you write a skin, how a .ini file of a skin has to be structured.