It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:30 pm

Porting

General topics related to Rainmeter.
canuckken

Porting

Post by canuckken »

Hey everyone, just throwing this out there, if it receives no attention that's fine. My deviantart site is https://www.deviantart.com/canuckken, I have a bunch of xWidgets there that if anyone wants to convert to rainmeter, I am giving you permission to do so, I don't need any credit or links given to the originals.
I have created some rainmeter skins in the past, I know a bit about doing so but I am far from competent with skinning rainmeter. I used to skin sysmetrix (remember that? I am an old timer) and I got into skinning xwidget because it's not difficult to wrap my brain around but I believe the developer (Tony) has abandoned it, at least there has not been any updates for a long time so it is probably going by the wayside just like sysmetrix did, that leaves Rainmeter as the main tool for designing stuff for our screens.
The reason I am throwing this out there is because it does not hurt to have as much to offer for the community as possible and if you see something in my gallery that catches your eye, you will at least have some graphics to work, maybe not the best but it's something to begin with, in return I will be able to use the rainmeter version, a bit selfish on my part perhaps but it could be a win win situation.
Take care everyone, be kind to one another and all the best to you and your family in 2024.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Porting

Post by Yincognito »

A fair trade off, now all it takes is a lot of patience to wait for someone interested to replicate some of the widgets there. They seem to be mostly weather ones, and you might find similarly looking skins already created for Rainmeter. Plus, if the images used there are available, recreating them as skins shouldn't be too hard, even for you. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your objective. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
canuckken

Post by canuckken »

Yincognito wrote: January 14th, 2024, 10:59 am A fair trade off, now all it takes is a lot of patience to wait for someone interested to replicate some of the widgets there. They seem to be mostly weather ones, and you might find similarly looking skins already created for Rainmeter. Plus, if the images used there are available, recreating them as skins shouldn't be too hard, even for you. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your objective. ;-)
Actually, most are time widgets and multi purpose widgets that have weather, clock and calendar info. Check out the xwIdget section of my gallery, I did not point to it directly in my previous comment... https://www.deviantart.com/canuckken/gallery/75071836/xwidgets
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

canuckken wrote: January 14th, 2024, 1:34 pm Actually, most are time widgets and multi purpose widgets that have weather, clock and calendar info. Check out the xwIdget section of my gallery, I did not point to it directly in my previous comment... https://www.deviantart.com/canuckken/gallery/75071836/xwidgets
Indeed. I think it would probably help if you mention which widget you were using or would like to find a skin resemblance for (if you didn't already, of course), so that folks here might direct you to one or more similar skins that look close to what you need. Your links present many previews and I doubt someone would try to replicate them all (or any), considering that you'd probably be able to find already existing skins that might look similarly... :???:
canuckken

Post by canuckken »

Perhaps I was not clear in my first post, trying to communicate with a keyboard is not my forte.
I am not looking for anyone to convert any one particular xWidget to rainmeter, I was just giving the ok to any rainmeter skinners to use any or all of what I created for xWidget, simply put, use my graphics if you want to create a rainmeter version of your liking, if no one wants to do that, no biggie.
I understand that people can make their own graphics and do so better than I can, however, there are some people with coding skills that are not as strong on the graphic side of things.
Anyway, I will mention it again, use what you want of mine, I am not looking for anything in return, not even credit for the originals.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

canuckken wrote: January 14th, 2024, 7:38 pm I was just giving the ok to any rainmeter skinners to use any or all of what I created for xWidget, simply put, use my graphics if you want to create a rainmeter version of your liking, if no one wants to do that, no biggie.
Thank you. For sure some of us will be liking to use your resources. In any case it's nice from you to mention this. Makes us feel good. Thank you in name of all Rainmeter skinner. I hope I can say this in name of all...
canuckken wrote: January 14th, 2024, 7:38 pm I understand that people can make their own graphics and do so better than I can, however, there are some people with coding skills that are not as strong on the graphic side of things.
You are perfectly right on this. I am such an example, I think. Even if this might look a self-praise. Don't intend it to be...
canuckken wrote: January 14th, 2024, 7:38 pm I am not looking for anything in return, not even credit for the originals.
A credit would be nice in any case. It's a minimum what a user using your resources can do easily and with no cost. So, let them mention you at least. My opinion...
canuckken

Post by canuckken »

Thank you for the input Yincognito and balala 👊😎
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

canuckken wrote: January 14th, 2024, 7:38 pm Perhaps I was not clear in my first post, trying to communicate with a keyboard is not my forte.
No, it was my mistake. I understood the idea the first time, it's just that by my second reply that understanding was inexplicably lost. It doesn't happen often to me since I'm usually careful with every detail, but sometimes it does and then my mouth talks while my brain is taking a nap. Sorry about the unintentional / partial misunderstanding. :oops:

I agree with balala though, credit should be given regardless, it's common sense and the least one could do in such circumstances. :thumbup:
canuckken

Post by canuckken »

Yincognito wrote: January 14th, 2024, 9:12 pm No, it was my mistake. I understood the idea the first time, it's just that by my second reply that understanding was inexplicably lost. It doesn't happen often to me since I'm usually careful with every detail, but sometimes it does and then my mouth talks while my brain is taking a nap. Sorry about the unintentional / partial misunderstanding. :oops:

I agree with balala though, credit should be given regardless, it's common sense and the least one could do in such circumstances. :thumbup:
It's all good Yincognito, I am just happy that my post has received some attention and not taken the wrong way, cheers mate.
canuckken

Post by canuckken »

This would be a nice watch to have made for rainmeter. Feel free to use the graphics, my only request would be an option to resize without having to open up the ini file and edit it, a simple pop up window with a size setting would be great and if you want to take it even further, a color setting would be nice but not necessary. https://www.deviantart.com/canuckken/art/Cosmodiver-1023302691
Just download the xWidget file and extract the contents to get the graphics.