It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:19 pm

Expandable tiles Controller - desktop shortcuts

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
cpt.failcraft

Expandable tiles Controller - desktop shortcuts

Post by cpt.failcraft »

I have a personal idea for a Rainmeter skin, and I need assistance with the coding.
The concept involves placing a small controller icon, such as "ControllerIcon.png" or "MainIcon," in the top-left corner of the desktop screen. Behind this icon is an initially invisible square tile. When the mouse hovers over it, the tile should become visible, and 12 additional tiles should expand out from it, aligning in a grid style. These expanded tiles should only become visible when associated with a shortcut. The script should automatically fetch desktop shortcuts, including icons and names, for these tiles. When left-clicking on the shortcuts, the associated applications should open. If the mouse leaves the "area of effect" of the expanded tiles, they should collapse back into the controller icon.
I've attempted coding this myself via FileView plugin and .ini, .inc, & .lua code but encountered issues even when there were no apparent errors. I also tried referencing the Expandable Folder and RainExplorer Rainmeter skins, but some of the code proved too advanced for me. I'm seeking help with coding this project or guidance on the necessary plugins and advanced coding concepts I need to learn.
cpt.failcraft

Re: Expandable tiles Controller - desktop shortcuts

Post by cpt.failcraft »

While a suggested video or website for mastering advanced .lua and .ini coding would be highly appreciated, I would be forever thankful if someone could bring my idea to life.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Expandable tiles Controller - desktop shortcuts

Post by SilverAzide »

cpt.failcraft wrote: December 24th, 2023, 5:00 am While a suggested video or website for mastering advanced .lua and .ini coding would be highly appreciated, I would be forever thankful if someone could bring my idea to life.
No offense intended, but no one is going to bring your idea to life but you. Read this sticky post here: Skin Requests.

That said, we'll be happy to help you create your own skin. Your idea is not new, and I've seen other skins that act similar to your idea. Your best bet is to search for launcher skins on DeviantArt, and on the forums here. Once you find one that is close to what you want, then try modifying it to suit your exact wishes. You ought to read (or at least skim) through the manual as well, so you know what is possible and what isn't. If/when you run into problems, package up your project as an .rmskin file and post it and your questions on the help forum.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...