It is currently April 28th, 2024, 8:57 am

Date picker possible?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
andyroe351

Date picker possible?

Post by andyroe351 »

Hi guys,

I have been working on a little project for a while now and have come stuck on one last thing. I am trying to add a date picker(calendar) much like you would see on a website, I would like to store this date for later use. I am confident in using a stored value but not sure if I am looking for something that is not possible

Having searched throughout the forum and internet in general I feel this is not possible. Could anyone confirm if this sort of thing is possible?

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Date picker possible?

Post by balala »

Not sure I understood your need, so let's clarify few things for first. You said you'd like to have a date picker. What do you mean by this? What the "date picker" does mean here? How would you like to store the date and where would you like to use it?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

andyroe351 wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 1:44 pm Hi guys,

I have been working on a little project for a while now and have come stuck on one last thing. I am trying to add a date picker(calendar) much like you would see on a website, I would like to store this date for later use. I am confident in using a stored value but not sure if I am looking for something that is not possible

Having searched throughout the forum and internet in general I feel this is not possible. Could anyone confirm if this sort of thing is possible?

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter
It is definitely possible. But it is wildly impractical unless you need to make extensive use of such a thing. You'd effectively need to create a full-blown Rainmeter calendar skin (like LuaCalendar) and be able to invoke it on demand set at some predetermined date. Capturing the date the user clicks on isn't a big deal, but you'd need to add that too. It's up to you to decide if this is worth the return on your time investment, when you could simply use a boring old unglamorous textbox with minimal effort.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
andyroe351

Post by andyroe351 »

OK, so the idea was for a friend who likes to DJ and wanted an easy way to select a date and display the top track from the charts that week. It's easy enough to search the website but he wanted something that could just sit on his desktop with a link to open the track in his media player of choice.

I was thinking of having a calendar where you would select the date, add this date to the end of a predefined web address, and using regexp to pull the data from the page. I did take a look LuaCalendar but it did seem rather complicated to create what I was picturing in my head. I guess I was hoping I had overcomplicated things but it seems not.

I appreciate your inputs and I think I will stick with the good old fashioned textbox after all I'm not being paid for my time :)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

andyroe351 wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 3:01 pm OK, so the idea was for a friend who likes to DJ and wanted an easy way to select a date and display the top track from the charts that week. It's easy enough to search the website but he wanted something that could just sit on his desktop with a link to open the track in his media player of choice.

I was thinking of having a calendar where you would select the date, add this date to the end of a predefined web address, and using regexp to pull the data from the page. I did take a look LuaCalendar but it did seem rather complicated to create what I was picturing in my head. I guess I was hoping I had overcomplicated things but it seems not.

I appreciate your inputs and I think I will stick with the good old fashioned textbox after all I'm not being paid for my time :)
Well, if it's just about some 4 or 6 lines of numerical text meters displaying the current (scrollable / changeable) month in a grid-like fashion, each with a click action that looks for or displays the top tracks from the said website allowing for opening them in a supported media player, it's a moderate amount of work and is definitely possible without bothering with Lua.

That being said, there are some conditions for it to work, like the site being querable (i.e. no Javascript hiding stuff from scraping), or the titles found on the website having an either exact or near exact correspondence with his local files or other links he might use to play them, that kind of stuff.

Other than that, most media players come up with playlist abilities, and if such a list can be ordered or tracks renamed by or using the date they were retrieved (or even automatically named when downloading like that), then one wouldn't need a skin for it in the first place, as they would be under the DJ's nose and in a suitable order for picking as desired.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth