It is currently April 28th, 2024, 6:29 pm

Another useless method of capturing the title of a vlc video file - excluding path to file

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
CodeCode

Another useless method of capturing the title of a vlc video file - excluding path to file

Post by CodeCode »

So I was poking around a bit and found a few options that actually did not apply directly of my desired outcome : video now playing title in a text meter -excluding the path to file.

I will continue, but asking for help makes me want to get the solution - so it works two ways in helping me find that desired result.
Last edited by CodeCode on December 7th, 2023, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
CodeCode

Re: Another useless method of capturing the title of a vlc video file - excluding path to file

Post by CodeCode »

I have remembered some thins, so I have gotten this far:

Code: Select all

[MeasureTitle]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=FileView
Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"
ShowDotDot=0
ShowFolder=0
Count=1
Extensions="mkv;mp4"
I seem to remember a way a specific path could be narrowed down to just the target file with video extensions. I'm still working on that. Weird feeling I have walked these woods before.
CodeCode

Re: Another useless method of capturing the title of a vlc video file - excluding path to file

Post by CodeCode »

Hello - updated progress.

I have referenced skins I've made that share data types and similarity if intended outcome matches. I have to grind all of the unneeded code from those other skins.
This is where I am up to so far:
DynamicMovieName_x.x.rmskin
I think thats progress, but if I am drifting away from the basic parts of this, using the bulk of my modified code from the FileView plugin.
If this is in need of a helping hand, please jump right in. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CodeCode wrote: December 7th, 2023, 12:04 pm I have remembered some thins, so I have gotten this far:

Code: Select all

[MeasureTitle]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=FileView
Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"
ShowDotDot=0
ShowFolder=0
Count=1
Extensions="mkv;mp4"
I seem to remember a way a specific path could be narrowed down to just the target file with video extensions. I'm still working on that. Weird feeling I have walked these woods before.
The Path option of a parent FileView plugin measure has to indicate a folder, not a file:
In a parent measure, defines the path of the folder to read.
This is why the Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" option can't be used. It seems that unlike in many other cases, if you give the path of a file, the plugin stops working, instead of using the default path, instead of the wrong one. In any case, there is no error message in the log, even if you use the path of a file.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

balala wrote: December 7th, 2023, 3:58 pm The Path option of a parent FileView plugin measure has to indicate a folder, not a file:

This is why the Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" option can't be used. It seems that unlike in many other cases, if you give the path of a file, the plugin stops working, instead of using the default path, instead of the wrong one. In any case, there is no error message in the log, even if you use the path of a file.
Yes, I do remember now. Even as much the program will run anyway (without the extension).

I should have pointed out that the current file in use will be during a vlc movie that is running. Sorry about that.

Is there a RubCommand to find the current file of videolan usage, this way or any other?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: December 7th, 2023, 4:14 pm Yes, I do remember now. Even as much the program will run anyway (without the extension).

I should have pointed out that the current file in use will be during a vlc movie that is running. Sorry about that.

Is there a RubCommand to find the current file of videolan usage, this way or any other?
I don't use VLC so I can't tell for sure, but if you're looking to get the path / name of the currently played video file in VLC, it looks like NowPlaying was able to do that for older VLC versions (according to some Rainmeter topics in the past), but it might not be able to do it for newer ones. As for getting that info in other ways, see:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65408172/vlc-get-played-file-path
The above is for Linux, but many things in that approach should be similar for Windows. Other than that, you could try WebNowPlaying to see if it can do it, PowerShell maybe, or look into compiling some AutoHotKey/ AutoIt scripts and see what you get:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=70639

Since I don't use VLC, I don't know if the video file name / path is included in the VLC window's title (similar to how the Rainmeter skins' window titles or Notepad++ ones include the path or name of the file being used). If it is, getting that title and extract the needed data from it is not that hard in AutoHotKey / AutoIt - I know this since I'm working on a window message plugin helper skin that grabs the standard info about all existing windows in the system and lets my Rainmeter skin handle them as needed (like an enhanced window spy tool, if you like).

Of course, some of these choices might be overkill for your needs, but since you asked... :confused:

P.S. I don't know much about possible VLC command lines that might be used via RunCommand, so maybe the VLC documentation or forums are a better way to find out about that.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CodeCode wrote: December 7th, 2023, 4:14 pm Is there a RubCommand to find the current file of videolan usage, this way or any other?
Same way as Yincognito, I don't use VLC either, so unfortunately can't say. Some guys on the forum who are using it, might tell much more precise than me. Sorry...
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Now I have remembered that I had indeed achieved this same goal for: ConfigActive.dll. Found {url=https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=28720&hilit=configactive] here [/url]

Mission accomplished.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

CodeCode wrote: December 7th, 2023, 7:49 pm Mission accomplished.
:thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: December 7th, 2023, 7:49 pm Now I have remembered that I had indeed achieved this same goal for: ConfigActive.dll. Found {url=https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=28720&hilit=configactive] here [/url]

Mission accomplished.
Not sure what ConfigActive has to do with getting the video file played by VLC, but if you say so, who am I to argue about it (balala always tells me not to, so)... :confused:

At least it was not Mission Impossible, so I guess it's all good. I get allergies on impossible things. :lol:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth