It is currently April 28th, 2024, 6:35 am

Lousy idea for marquee.

General topics related to Rainmeter.
ZXCVBOT

Lousy idea for marquee.

Post by ZXCVBOT »

Was just wondering, if I could use counter to do marquee? Just referring the X of some meter as counter/ measure that uses counter?

(It's not like I have not achieved marquee-ing after this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=31790)

This idea just occured to me, and I can not test it (not on PC) so I asked here.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Lousy idea for marquee.

Post by Yincognito »

ZXCVBOT wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:13 am Was just wondering, if I could use counter to do marquee? Just referring the X of some meter as counter/ measure that uses counter?

(It's not like I have not achieved marquee-ing after this: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=31790)

This idea just occured to me, and I can not test it (not on PC) so I asked here.
Sure, but you'll probably have to use % aka modulo in the formula to "convert" the counter function value to some 0 to another numerical boundary value. An effect of using the counter function though would be that refreshing the skin after loading it will not reset positions since the counter function value is itself resetting to 0 or 1 only to unloading and then reloading the said skin, as per the manual.
Last edited by Yincognito on November 5th, 2023, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
ZXCVBOT

Post by ZXCVBOT »

*counter
I'll use the ones you provided for the volume pop-ups. Thanks for telling. I'll test this theory later.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ZXCVBOT wrote: November 5th, 2023, 9:53 am *counter
The shortcommings of writing this on my phone - thanks for the correction... :uhuh:
ZXCVBOT

Post by ZXCVBOT »

No problem! :welcome:
ZXCVBOT

Post by ZXCVBOT »

Code: Select all

[<Measure>]
Formula=Counter%<Number of characters in a string>
[<Meter>]
;For Left-Right
X=([<Measure>])
;For Right-Left
X=(-[<Measure>])
Yep! This works. Now onto the quest - How to get the no. of characters in a string.

Edit: Added Sub-heading Meter.
ZXCVBOT

Post by ZXCVBOT »

To change the speed:

Slow:
Formula=(Counter/<A Number>)%<Number of Characters in a string>
Fast:
Formula=(Counter*<A Number>)%<Number of Characters in a string>

I get it that it produces a hammering-effect, but the idea was initially stated lousy :yawn: .

Edit: Removed Previous Edit; Just saw I posted a new reply, instead of editing the previous one :lol: .
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ZXCVBOT wrote: November 6th, 2023, 11:41 amNow onto the quest - How to get the no. of characters in a string.
This can be fairly easily done via some simple regex substitutions of characters with "+1" in a String measure, then using that measure's string value in the Formula option of a subsequent Calc measure, but are you sure you really need it?
ZXCVBOT

Post by ZXCVBOT »

Who knows? Maybe if it works, you can post it as the 3rd marquee way for the beginners.
As for me, nahh I don't need this code.. I had an idea, and yeah it works fine.. But as for the implementation - I like the Ping-Pong (Like the sound of that) variant for marquee-ing much better.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

ZXCVBOT wrote: November 7th, 2023, 9:34 am Who knows? Maybe if it works, you can post it as the 3rd marquee way for the beginners.
This is more about string manipulation than marquees, and I already posted such methods in a few places on the forum. I was just asking cause there was another instance in the past where you were interested in this but it wasn't really needed to achieve what you wanted to achieve then.