It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:10 am

"Invalid .bmp file" Error When Selecting a Header Image in the .rmskin Packager

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: "Invalid .bmp file" Error When Selecting a Header Image in the .rmskin Packager

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 6:41 pmThis makes extremely easy to identify if a file is valid for this purpose:
Not so easy, as this thread proves - let me clarify: it's not just about the extension, being a bitmap or having the proper resolution, it also has to be the right kind of bitmap, e.g. the right color depth, bitmap version, DPI, compression, etc. that are accepted by the skin packager (those are the properties I referrred to above, since the OP already followed the first three requirements). Both ACDSee and XnView MP (most likely, GIMP too), as well as other image viewers / editors out there, show such differences between the bitmap you posted (which works) and the bitmap the OP posted (which doesn't). Didn't bother to investigate exactly which of those differences in properties were the culprit here, but one (or more) of them were. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: "Invalid .bmp file" Error When Selecting a Header Image in the .rmskin Packager

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 8:12 pm Not so easy, as this thread proves - let me clarify:
Well, I think if the bitmap has the right size (as said previously 72,054 bytes, or 70.3 KB), the image can be used, otherwise I assume it can't be. Still simple in my opinion...
Jonah Ling

Post by Jonah Ling »

balala wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 6:41 pm Alright. Please let me know if you succeeded.
Just tried it now and can confirm that the .bmp file that you posted balala does indeed work for me, and it displays correctly when installing the .rmskin file! Hopefully I can figure out how to get images into the right format in the future with the last few posts you both have sent, thanks again for all your help!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 8:26 pm Well, I think if the bitmap has the right size (as said previously 72,054 bytes, or 70.3 KB), the image can be used, otherwise I assume it can't be. Still simple in my opinion...
If you say so... :confused:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Jonah Ling wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:37 am Hopefully I can figure out how to get images into the right format in the future with the last few posts you both have sent,
Open the image in the old Paint app and make a Save as..., saving the file as a .bmp file. It definitely will work...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Jonah Ling wrote: October 24th, 2023, 10:37 am Just tried it now and can confirm that the .bmp file that you posted balala does indeed work for me, and it displays correctly when installing the .rmskin file! Hopefully I can figure out how to get images into the right format in the future with the last few posts you both have sent, thanks again for all your help!
The issue was most likely the bit depth of the bitmap image. Headers should be set to a bit depth of 24-bit; higher settings (if set to 32-bit) will be invalid for use as headers in skins.

In paint.net program the option is available in the BMP save dialog:
headerBMPditdepth24.jpg
As mentioned, other graphic editors offer similar options when saving bitmap images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote: February 25th, 2024, 1:31 am The issue was most likely the bit depth of the bitmap image. Headers should be set to a bit depth of 24-bit; higher settings (if set to 32-bit) will be invalid for use as headers in skins.
So it's not as extremely simple as having the right resolution and size, after all? Hmm, balala must disagree, but he once advised me not to argue... :D
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Yincognito wrote: February 25th, 2024, 2:52 am So it's not as extremely simple as having the right resolution and size, after all? Hmm, balala must disagree, but he once advised me not to argue... :D
Well, if I hadn't had this happen to me recently (a bitmap set to 32-bit depth) rejected as "invalid", I probably wouldn't have thought about this at all. :Whistle

There may be other reasons for "invalid" bitmaps, so feel free to argue the point ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: February 25th, 2024, 2:52 am Hmm, balala must disagree,
Why would I?
Yincognito wrote: February 25th, 2024, 2:52 am but he once advised me not to argue... :D
Did I?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

eclectic-tech wrote: February 25th, 2024, 4:46 am Well, if I hadn't had this happen to me recently (a bitmap set to 32-bit depth) rejected as "invalid", I probably wouldn't have thought about this at all. :Whistle

There may be other reasons for "invalid" bitmaps, so feel free to argue the point ;-)
Yep, indeed. I already argued for more or less what you said above, but gave up so as to not "escalate" the "dispute". Eventually, it looks like you experienced what I was saying all along, so the "proof" finally exists. :thumbup: