It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:50 pm

DesktopWorkArea with dual monitor setup

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Neocube

DesktopWorkArea with dual monitor setup

Post by Neocube »

Hey everyone. Been a while. Just recently started using Rainmeter again (been about a year or so), and I have been playing around with a second, vertical bar skin that I have placed on the left side of my screen. I came across the DesktopWorkArea and DesktopWorkAreaType settings in the Rainmeter.ini config but having an issue setting this on both monitors. So, that first section in my Rainmeter.ini file I have as follows:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
SkinPath=C:\Users\pauln\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
Logging=0
DesktopWorkAreaType=1
DesktopWorkArea@2=45,0,0,47
Now, this is doing exactly what I want on my external monitor (hence the '@2'). However... when I add the same information for my main monitor, as I want the same thing to be duplicated on both monitors, it not only doesn't show this change on monitor 1, but it also stops correctly displaying on monitor 2 as well. The config I tried is as follows:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
SkinPath=C:\Users\pauln\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
Logging=0
DesktopWorkAreaType=1
DesktopWorkArea=45,0,0,47
DesktopWorkArea@2=45,0,0,47
I have also tried swapping the two DesktopWorkArea lines (just to see if that had any bearing on it) with the same results. I also tried appending '@1' and '@0' to the first DesktopWorkArea with the same results. Thinking I am just missing something obvious, but honestly just at a loss. Can someone please shed some light on this as to why I am getting this result? Two days on this perplexing situation and I really have no idea where I am going wrong. Below I have supplied some limited information that "may" be needed to help assess the situation.

System Information
Operating System
Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.80GHz: 73 °C
Tiger Lake-U 10nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0VY7G1 (Socket 0)

Graphics
Inspiron 540X (1920x1080@60Hz) [Internal]
LG FULL HD (1920x1080@60Hz) [External]
Intel Iris Xe Graphics (Dell)

Rainmeter Version
4.5.18.3727 (64-bit)

If you need other information please let me know! Many thanks in advance friends.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: DesktopWorkArea with dual monitor setup

Post by Yincognito »

I've been using these options as well in the past, and would have used them ever since if only they were made to persist after resolution changes (at least one of the free alternatives to Rainmeter - can't remember which one ATM - already do that, so it would be possible to implement it), as well as having some bangs to control them on demand while running - but unfortunately for some reason the developers didn't think it was worth looking into the feature at the time. Unlike you though, I don't have a multi monitor setup to test this on my laptop, since my ancient monitor is deposited under a table and is heavy to maneuver for these rare instances when I'd need it.

Anyway, until the developers or someone using a multi monitor setup might answer or confirm this, have you tried replicating the above using the alternative DesktopWorkAreaType=0 approach and see if that makes a difference? Also, are you sure you specifically and correctly chosen the Display Monitor your two skins are displayed on from the Skin Settings? And that there is no swapping of the monitors in Windows that could affect those options from Rainmeter.ini?
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/
Lastly, I don't know how monitor coordinates are calculated, so maybe trying to alter them in various ways might offer some clues (starting Rainmeter with logging / debug enabled and examining the log could do that as well, by the way).
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth