It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:07 pm

Rainmeter on multiple PC's

General topics related to Rainmeter.
astro3305mm

Re: Rainmeter on multiple PC's

Post by astro3305mm »

SilverAzide wrote: September 25th, 2023, 11:45 am
Yes, absolutely. That's the way I have to use Rainmeter on my company PC; OneDrive is forced on and can't be altered, so moving the skins folder to another location is the simplest solution and works perfectly.
Absolutely brilliant !!
Thanks so much.
Have helped me heaps.

I have moved my Skins to other drive folders and yes, works like a gem. :17good
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

astro3305mm wrote: September 24th, 2023, 11:20 pm The Skins were sitting in "My Documents" under Rainmeter folder.
Only problem is My Documents is sitting in my MS One Drive cloud.
OneDrive is definitely not a good place to store the skins. As Yincognito pointed above, there were lot of troubles with this approach. You should have to move them to the Documents folder, wherever it is. I can't find a much more detailed discussion about this either, but know there were. A short idea is described here, however.
astro3305mm wrote: September 24th, 2023, 11:20 pm After I moved the skins to "C:/Program Files/Rainmeter/Skins" I am unable to edit any skin from the desktop as it now wants Admin privileges using Notepad. If I change something in the .ini file it refuses to save even though I have administrator privileges on my computer.
Windows is not happy at all to continuously write to the C: drive. As said above, recommend to move the skins to the local Documents folder.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:12 am Not a fan of having my skins in the My Documents folder or on C: either (let alone the stupid cloud or whatever),
My Documents folder is on D: drive (d:\Documents\). I think this is a much better place to store this folder. Recommend everyone...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

astro3305mm wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:43 am If I didn't need to have both my PC and laptop sync'd (I use excel and word on both), so I need to have both computers sync'd so I can update documents when away from my PC and using my laptop.

I pay good money for Office 360 and it comes with 1Tb cloud storage so not complaining about that.
BUT... given the choice I would get rid of MicroSoft in a heartbeat if the circumstances were different.
Ah, that explains it. Hopefully SilverAzide pointed you in the right direction for a feasible solution. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: September 25th, 2023, 4:08 pm My Documents folder is on D: drive (d:\Documents\). I think this is a much better place to store this folder. Recommend everyone...
Yep, I know. Me, I was too lazy to change the Rainmeter's "live" skins folder to a different partition / drive. I already backup various other settings and saves from other software by copying them to a specific location on my F: partition (C: and D: are on my SSD, E: and F: on my HDD), so it felt natural to add whatever stuff I want to keep from Rainmeter to that place, without moving the skins folder itself.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: September 25th, 2023, 4:32 pm Yep, I know. Me, I was too lazy to change the Rainmeter's "live" skins folder to a different partition / drive. I already backup various other settings and saves from other software by copying them to a specific location on my F: partition (C: and D: are on my SSD, E: and F: on my HDD), so it felt natural to add whatever stuff I want to keep from Rainmeter to that place, without moving the skins folder itself.
I didn't move the Skins folder. First step when installed Windows was to set the location for the Documents folder, to D: drive (I always did this in past). For me it's much logical not to have the Documents on the default location, on C: drive. When installed Rainmeter (this happened after set the place for Documents to D:), the skins went directly to the new location. I'm using it this way since the first time I used Rainmeter (much more than a decade ago). I'd not move back the Skins folder to the default location (C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins), for anything in the world.
astro3305mm

Post by astro3305mm »

Yincognito wrote: September 25th, 2023, 4:32 pm Yep, I know. Me, I was too lazy to change the Rainmeter's "live" skins folder to a different partition / drive. I already backup various other settings and saves from other software by copying them to a specific location on my F: partition (C: and D: are on my SSD, E: and F: on my HDD), so it felt natural to add whatever stuff I want to keep from Rainmeter to that place, without moving the skins folder itself.
I'm wondering if it's feasable for the RM devs to add the option for the user to select the Skins location during the RM installation ?
It makes sence with all the issues related to it sittiing in "Documents" folder.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: September 25th, 2023, 6:38 pm I didn't move the Skins folder. First step when installed Windows was to set the location for the Documents folder, to D: drive (I always did this in past). For me it's much logical not to have the Documents on the default location, on C: drive. When installed Rainmeter (this happened after set the place for Documents to D:), the skins went directly to the new location. I'm using it this way since the first time I used Rainmeter (much more than a decade ago). I'd not move back the Skins folder to the default location (C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins), for anything in the world.
Oh, I see. Yes, that is a good way to approach things too. I used to do the same in the past (not with Rainmeter though, as I didn't have it back then). Additionally, I used to slipstream the Windows installation and customize all these things and many more even before installing, but as time went by, I ended up concluding that it was too much to bother with, especially in an ever-changing OS environment, so I came up with a relatively simpler alternative like described above. I already have to spend lots of time configuring things the way I want after the OS installation, so this way I avoid further effort and time lost.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

astro3305mm wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:52 pm I'm wondering if it's feasable for the RM devs to add the option for the user to select the Skins location during the RM installation ?
It makes sence with all the issues related to it sittiing in "Documents" folder.
Hmm, I don't know - they'll probably say what SilverAzide said as well, that you can easily do it after installing anyway. But you can try suggesting that in the Bugs & Feature Suggestions section of the forum, and see if they think it's a good idea. I wouldn't set my hopes too high with it, but you don't lose anything if you try. ;-)

By the way, there are not many issues with the Documents location, most of them are related to the OneDrive redirection.