It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:29 am

Getting actual download/upload speeds via Keenetic modem

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
tass_co

Getting actual download/upload speeds via Keenetic modem

Post by tass_co »

Hello everyone :welcome:

I am using Keenetic Hero DSL modem.
While browsing github, I saw a Rainmeter plugin for my modem.
But I didnt it work. I think there is a problem with the plugin.

Can I get actual download/upload speeds from my modem?

PS:The interface of the modem is javascript.
Last edited by tass_co on September 15th, 2023, 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't know where i going from here, but i promise it won't be boring... :great:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Getting actual download/upload speeds via modem

Post by Yincognito »

tass_co wrote: September 14th, 2023, 3:31 pm Hello everyone :welcome:

I am using Keenetic Hero DSL modem.
While browsing github, I saw a Rainmeter plugin for my modem.
But I didnt it work. I think there is a problem with the plugin.

Can I get actual download/upload speeds from my modem?

PS:The interface of the modem is javascript.
Does the Javascript interface display those speeds? I suppose not, since typically speeds are presented by network interface controller (aka NIC), and not necessarily by physical device. You know, the things you can choose in Net measures in Rainmeter via the Interface option.

There might be software that provide the data you want (say, the SysInternal tools, the NirCmd ones, Wireshark, etc.), but passing that data to Rainmeter might be tricky.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

Yincognito wrote: September 14th, 2023, 4:20 pm Does the Javascript interface display those speeds? I suppose not, since typically speeds are presented by network interface controller (aka NIC), and not necessarily by physical device. You know, the things you can choose in Net measures in Rainmeter via the Interface option.

There might be software that provide the data you want (say, the SysInternal tools, the NirCmd ones, Wireshark, etc.), but passing that data to Rainmeter might be tricky.
Yes, it shows.
I want to show individual speeds on my skin.
14.09.2023 - 19.36.46-Keenetic Hero DSL – İnternet Trafiği Görüntüleme — Mozilla Firefox.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't know where i going from here, but i promise it won't be boring... :great:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

tass_co wrote: September 14th, 2023, 4:37 pm Yes, it shows.
I want to show individual speeds on my skin.
14.09.2023 - 19.36.46-Keenetic Hero DSL – İnternet Trafiği Görüntüleme — Mozilla Firefox.png
IF (and that's a big if) the modem interface page / javascript is local and can be accessed, you could try making a backup of the file(s) and add you own javascript bit of code that passes those values to something that can be read by Rainmeter, like a log file (though it might be impossible to write to such a file due to security limitations).

If that is a webpage that can be navigated to and there is no access password (unlikely, but anyway), maybe you can use WebParser with its address.

Another thing that you can try is to look for some option in that interface of your modem to pass the desired values to some file that can be then read by Rainmeter.

Yet another possibility, if your screenshot is a webpage, would be to use the WebView plugin by khanhas to display it directly in your skin. That would be a bit limiting in various ways, but at least you'd have the same stuff from the image in your skin.
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

Yincognito wrote: September 14th, 2023, 5:40 pm IF (and that's a big if) the modem interface page / javascript is local and can be accessed, you could try making a backup of the file(s) and add you own javascript bit of code that passes those values to something that can be read by Rainmeter, like a log file (though it might be impossible to write to such a file due to security limitations).

If that is a webpage that can be navigated to and there is no access password (unlikely, but anyway), maybe you can use WebParser with its address.

Another thing that you can try is to look for some option in that interface of your modem to pass the desired values to some file that can be then read by Rainmeter.

Yet another possibility, if your screenshot is a webpage, would be to use the WebView plugin by khanhas to display it directly in your skin. That would be a bit limiting in various ways, but at least you'd have the same stuff from the image in your skin.
The modem I use has a feature such as packet capture.
The documentation says you can do this with the Wireshark app.
I don't want to do this using additional applications.
As a result, I give up... :-(
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

tass_co wrote: September 14th, 2023, 7:38 pm The modem I use has a feature such as packet capture.
The documentation says you can do this with the Wireshark app.
I don't want to do this using additional applications.
As a result, I give up... :-(
I understand, I have the same principle of not using multiple applications for more or less the same job.
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

Yincognito wrote: September 14th, 2023, 8:33 pm I understand, I have the same principle of not using multiple applications for more or less the same job.
I talked to the person who wrote the Keenetic plugin. He said I skipped a part.
When I made changes to the Rainmeter.data file, the skin started working
Real ISS Download/Upload data
GIF 15.09.2023 16-34-33.gif

Now, if I extract this data from the LAN file exchange on the network, it can find the file download/upload speeds on the LAN.
Thus, I found an answer to my other question :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

tass_co wrote: September 15th, 2023, 1:39 pm I talked to the person who wrote the Keenetic plugin. He said I skipped a part.
When I made changes to the Rainmeter.data file, the skin started working
Real ISS Download/Upload data

GIF 15.09.2023 16-34-33.gif

Now, if I extract this data from the LAN file exchange on the network, it can find the file download/upload speeds on the LAN.
Thus, I found an answer to my other question :thumbup:
Great news! You didn't completely give up, and thus achieved your objective. :great:
tass_co

Post by tass_co »

Yincognito wrote: September 15th, 2023, 2:25 pm Great news! You didn't completely give up, and thus achieved your objective. :great:
:D Thank you
JonPeyton

Re: Getting actual download/upload speeds via Keenetic modem

Post by JonPeyton »

tass_co: Your avatar is my avatar back in my University days :D
EVGA Z790 Classified
INTEL i9 13900KS
RTX 4090 24GB (Gigabyte)
64GB Corsair Dominator RAM @ 6000MHz
2 Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (System/Gaming)
2 10TB Seagate 7500 RPM (Stuff)