It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:16 pm

Hats Off

General topics related to Rainmeter.
JonPeyton

Hats Off

Post by JonPeyton »

Hi Everyone!
I wanted to take the time to say that after all the years I've been using Rainmeter (mostly bastardizing your nice skins to fit my needs/styles), after all this time I still have to say I have no urge to create skins of my own and submit them for your using on your machines!
I know how cowardly and ungrateful that sounds (Im 52..) but the fact is I still have to tinker around with every skin so much I would get no sleep worrying if I'd caused irreparable harm to someone's super expensive rig.Or I suppose that Id be embarrased for everyone to see that after at least a decade using this software Im a long way from what one would call "proficient " at it...
So with that Id like to tip my hat and say thank so much to not only Mr. Coyote but Balala and all the other Seriously intelligent folks that have contributed and helped me along my way!

Please continue! :D
Jonathan
EVGA Z790 Classified
INTEL i9 13900KS
RTX 4090 24GB (Gigabyte)
64GB Corsair Dominator RAM @ 6000MHz
2 Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (System/Gaming)
2 10TB Seagate 7500 RPM (Stuff)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Hats Off

Post by Yincognito »

Well, if their rigs are so expensive, then there is no point worrying about any unlikely hypothetical harm done to those, as they'll be easily replaced by their owners since they would afford it, right? :D

Joking aside, you don't necessarily have to be a "professional" skin creator for others, you can very well make what you need for personal use - many do the same, including me. Whether you then release your work is up to you and how confident you are that the "product" is well done, complete, and potentially useful or attractive to others (spoiler, I only actually released just two that I deemed worthy of that "honor", for pretty much the same reason as you, i.e. commitment).

So relax, it's all good, this is not a top of the class contest, it's first about what YOU want to have on your machine, and second about what YOU want to share with others for whatever reasons. You don't offer a warranty, you're not bound by a contract, there is no boss abusing you for what he doesn't know how to do himself, you are the one dictating you own rhythm and direction for what you like to do. Just take your time, do what you know how to do, and enjoy the ride, that's all. If you make other people happy with it, that's a nice bonus to have, not a requirement.

I believe I can speak for others here by thanking you for the appreciation you have for them. We all like Rainmeter and the nice environment here on this forum, and it's one of the main reasons we do what we do, when we can do it. It's probably why you use it too, so we're motivated by the same things as any other user. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Hats Off

Post by balala »

Completely agree with Yincognito.
JonPeyton wrote: August 26th, 2023, 9:15 pm (mostly bastardizing your nice skins to fit my needs/styles)
Don't worry, we all are altering existing skins in order to get them working as we expect. This hardly can be called "bastardizing".
JonPeyton wrote: August 26th, 2023, 9:15 pm after all this time I still have to say I have no urge to create skins of my own and submit them for your using on your machines!
I know how cowardly and ungrateful that sounds (Im 52..)
There is no "urge" at all. You can publish what have you created if you want, or can keep it only for you, never publishing it. There is nothing wrong with this. And doesn't sound neither "cowardly", nor "ungrateful" at all.
JonPeyton wrote: August 26th, 2023, 9:15 pm but the fact is I still have to tinker around with every skin so much I would get no sleep worrying if I'd caused irreparable harm to someone's super expensive rig.
You hardly could cause any harm, damage or whatever with Rainmeter skins. Saying once again: don't worry.
JonPeyton wrote: August 26th, 2023, 9:15 pm Or I suppose that Id be embarrased for everyone to see that after at least a decade using this software Im a long way from what one would call "proficient " at it...
Don't be. There is no such thing as proficient skin writer. What is best for one, might be much weaker for the other user, so it's extremely hard for anyone to be "super" proficient, all the time.
JonPeyton wrote: August 26th, 2023, 9:15 pm So with that Id like to tip my hat and say thank so much to not only Mr. Coyote but Balala and all the other Seriously intelligent folks that have contributed and helped me along my way!
I'm extremely glad if I did help. Good to know.
JonPeyton

Q

Post by JonPeyton »

Yincognito & Balala thank you both for your understanding and encouragement! :)
EVGA Z790 Classified
INTEL i9 13900KS
RTX 4090 24GB (Gigabyte)
64GB Corsair Dominator RAM @ 6000MHz
2 Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (System/Gaming)
2 10TB Seagate 7500 RPM (Stuff)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Q

Post by balala »

JonPeyton wrote: August 27th, 2023, 6:30 pm Yincognito & Balala thank you both for your understanding and encouragement! :)
Recommend to keep working if you like Rainmeter. Can offer lot of satisfaction. Feel free to come back asking for help anytime, when needed.