It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:48 pm

is WeatherComJSON url down?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
TGonZo

is WeatherComJSON url down?

Post by TGonZo »

Not sure if this is the appropriate section for this question. Please move it if not.

I was updating a weather skin that is using the WeatherComJSON measures from JSMorley, when all of a sudden, no more weather data.
Is the api.weather.com site just down for maintenance, or did we break it.
Is anyone else having data issues? Refresh your weather skins.

When I put the url in a browser, I can see the first few meta data lines, but no weather info.
I'm using the WeatherComJSONMeasures3Day.inc file.

Here is the error from Rainmeter.

(Fetch error) The operation timed out (ErrorCode=12002) (SimpleWeather\Weather1\weather.ini - [@EntireSiteSuperParent])
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: is WeatherComJSON url down?

Post by Yincognito »

TGonZo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 4:03 pmI was updating a weather skin that is using the WeatherComJSON measures from JSMorley, when all of a sudden, no more weather data.

When I put the url in a browser, I can see the first few meta data lines, but no weather info.
I'm using the WeatherComJSONMeasures3Day.inc file.

Here is the error from Rainmeter.

(Fetch error) The operation timed out (ErrorCode=12002) (SimpleWeather\Weather1\weather.ini - [@EntireSiteSuperParent])
I'm not using jsmorley's .inc files, but here both my weather skin (top area) and jsmorley's (bottom area) work just fine:
Weather.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
TGonZo

Post by TGonZo »

I assume you just started jsmorley's weather skin, so it just refreshed. I started it up as well.
weather-nodata.jpg
(Fetch error) The operation timed out (ErrorCode=12002) (Weather.com\Weather.com.ini - [@EntireSiteSuperParent])

I can get to the weather.com web site in a browser and that works just fine.

Anyone else seeing a problem, or is this just me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

TGonZo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 4:03 pm I was updating a weather skin that is using the WeatherComJSON measures from JSMorley, when all of a sudden, no more weather data.
Works fine here as well .
Maybe did you repeatedly refresh the skin, in a short period? If you did this, you might been banned by the provider. Wait one day a try it again. As long as I know, if you indeed has been banned, after (around) a day you can start using the service (sorry if I'm mistaken here).
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

TGonZo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 5:26 pm I assume you just started jsmorley's weather skin, so it just refreshed. I started it up as well.
Does this work in your browser?

Code: Select all

https://api.weather.com/v3/aggcommon/v3-wx-observations-current;v3-wx-forecast-daily-15day;v3alertsHeadlines;v3-location-point?format=json&geocode=38.723249,-77.069950&units=m&language=en-US&apiKey=21d8a80b3d6b444998a80b3d6b1449d3
If this works, jsmorley's weather skin should work for you as well, assuming you didn't change anything in his .inc files (like the UserAgent, for example). If it works but the weather skin doesn't, then maybe you're one of the first to be affected by the proposed future deprecation of the UserAgent header (yeah, I know, not that great of a news for communities like our own)...

If the above doesn't work for you, you can try and test the Weather skin from my suite (link in my profile signature, you don't have to install or use any layout, so you can uncheck that), because one of the differences from jsmorley's skin is that if you remove the API key from the Settings skin in the suite, the Weather skin will fall back to parsing the JSON embedded into the main weather page, basically parsing the main page (and using the same regexes too):
MYiniMeter - Weather - No API Key.jpg
Obviously, this is just for testing, as my approach is tailored for my skin and is not released as an .inc the way jsmorley did.

Other than that, balala's hypothesis is possible. In general, when testing things out or refreshing repeatedly a web dependent skin, it's a common sense measure to use a saved offline equivalent of the page you're polling, precisely to avoid such potential IP bans and such. Personally, I've never encountered such a scenario, but then it's true that I take the logical precautions in such cases.
TGonZo

Post by TGonZo »

Sorry for the fire drill. I notice on my other computer, the weather was working. Went back to my main computer, still not working. I rebooted, and all it working now. Very strange. I have no idea what was going on, or how a reboot fixed it.

Sorry again. All is fine now.
TGonZo

Post by TGonZo »

I did try a VPN to change my IP. I was thinking the same thing. But it still did not work. Probably something in my Windows. My machine was up less than 2 days when I rebooted just a few minutes ago, which fixed it. I have no idea what that was all about. I chalk that up to..... it's Windows.

Thanks everyone for checking in, and letting me know your experience.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

TGonZo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 8:26 pmMy machine was up less than 2 days when I rebooted just a few minutes ago, which fixed it.
On occasion and in certain conditions (there is a thread about this somewhere on the forum) WebParser gets "locked up" in a non-functional state and it needs some Rainmeter / computer restarting...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

TGonZo wrote: July 29th, 2023, 8:26 pm My machine was up less than 2 days when I rebooted just a few minutes ago, which fixed it. I have no idea what that was all about.
As Yincognito said, most probably the WebParser measure has been hanged up after repeated refresh of your skin. This is a known issue of WebParser measure. If anyone would have been realize what is going on, you shouldn't have been restarting the computer, a restart of Rainmeter were enough (see the link below). However since restarting the computer had been proved a good solution, it's alright, I think.
Yincognito wrote: July 29th, 2023, 8:38 pm (there is a thread about this somewhere on the forum)
Yep, it is. Here.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: July 29th, 2023, 8:47 pmYep, it is. Here.
There you go - thanks for pointing it out. :thumbup: