It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:21 am

Skins (Blinking, Flickering, Disappear)

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Havoc

Skins (Blinking, Flickering, Disappear)

Post by Havoc »

When I press the key combinations that minimize (expand) programs (Win + D, Win + M, Alt + Tab), all skins disappear for a second or flash over windows.

I tried to find a solution on the forum but didn't find it.

OC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64-bit - Rainmeter Version 4.5.17.3700
Skins - (Mond - Clock) + (Montrey - Weather)

Thanks in advance!
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Skins (Blinking, Flickering, Disappear)

Post by Yincognito »

Havoc wrote: June 18th, 2023, 3:52 pm When I press the key combinations that minimize (expand) programs (Win + D, Win + M, Alt + Tab), all skins disappear for a second or flash over windows.

I tried to find a solution on the forum but didn't find it.

OC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64-bit - Rainmeter Version 4.5.17.3700
Skins - (Mond - Clock) + (Montrey - Weather)

Thanks in advance!
You didn't find a solution because it normally doesn't happen - it doesn't for me either. Could be the graphic drivers, could be parts of the Windows ecosystem that contribute to the platform on which modern programs run (e.g. C++ redistributables, .NET frameworks, etc.), could be running on an integrated video card with just the basic driver, could be some other program interfering with displaying stuff on the monitor, could be the way skins are configured from the context menu's Settings, and so on. Hard to pinpoint exactly why that happens, but the key is that it shouldn't.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2023, 4:52 pm You didn't find a solution because it normally doesn't happen - it doesn't for me either. Could be the graphic drivers, could be parts of the Windows ecosystem that contribute to the platform on which modern programs run (e.g. C++ redistributables, .NET frameworks, etc.), could be running on an integrated video card with just the basic driver, could be some other program interfering with displaying stuff on the monitor, could be the way skins are configured from the context menu's Settings, and so on. Hard to pinpoint exactly why that happens, but the key is that it shouldn't.
Oh, really? That's bad, but that need to be expected. Some guesses were confirmed. I'll try to look for a solution on my own.
But I hope there exist a solution

Thank you.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Havoc wrote: June 18th, 2023, 3:52 pm When I press the key combinations that minimize (expand) programs (Win + D, Win + M, Alt + Tab), all skins disappear for a second or flash over windows.
It happens to me too, but only for Win + D. Neither with Win + M, nor with Alt + Tab, only with Win + D, but with this one, it definitely goes on. Never noticed before, since I can't keep key combinations in my mind nad accordingly I never use them. But now that I tried it out, definitely flashes shortly on Win + D.
But can't find a reason of this.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:00 pm It happens to me too...
Really?! :jawdrop

I don't get flashes at all (unless you count the eye paying attention to how fast stuff is drawn on the screen as a flash, that is), but if a skin is set to an Bottom position from the context menu, then Win + D will indeed minimize the said skin, in effect making it "dissapear", at least until focus is requested via some clicks on the taskbar icons.

P.S. I didn't test for the skins that the OP mentioned, by the way, only my suite and a few others I already had in my skins folder.
P.S.S. Maybe some video capture to see how it looks might help?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:55 pm Really?! :jawdrop
Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:55 pm P.S.S. Maybe some video capture to see how it looks might help?
Really. I just tried to get a gif to show how is it going on, but unfortunately it seems that the flash is going on so quickly, that it is not recorded on the animation and additionally when I hit Win + D, my screen recording software is minimized and this causes a not proper recording. However with naked eye I can see the flash, but it can't be seen properly on the animation. But you can believe me, it is happening.
Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2023, 6:55 pm P.S. I didn't test for the skins that the OP mentioned, by the way, only my suite and a few others I already had in my skins folder.
Doesn't matter which or how many skins am I trying with, get the short falsh with all of the ones I'm having activated.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 18th, 2023, 7:55 pmBut you can believe me, it is happening.
Doesn't matter which or how many skins am I trying with, get the short falsh with all of the ones I'm having activated.
It was not a matter of believing you, just of a susprise that this is happening and seeing how it looks to presumably figure out why it happens and what can be done to avoid it, that's all. By the way, screen recording software shouldn't depend on whether they're minimized or not to perform their function - at least my MSI AB and others I'm aware of do not. Also, a typical video capture is getting, depending on how the encoding is set up, between 25 and 30 frames per second (the speed frames are displayed in movies too), so it should capture such a flash. Strange, very strange. :confused:

EDIT: Tried with and without Hardware Acceleration enabled in Rainmeter, thinking that could be one cause, but still not getting the flashes. I'm on Win 10, if that matters, and I even tried filling the desktop with all the skins I could, still no flash. Maybe others could try and test this too, to isolate the problem...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 18th, 2023, 8:16 pm Maybe others could try and test this too, to isolate the problem...
Yep, would be nice. And useful. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to another computer at my office, to see if the issue is present there as well.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 18th, 2023, 8:54 pm Yep, would be nice. And useful. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to another computer at my office, to see if the issue is present there as well.
Alright - looking forward to the result, if and when you'll have it. :thumbup:
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I have quite extensively described what to do in the familiar case here
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=38833
and in the follow up message in the thread here
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=38833#p209321

Note that it is about skins hiding but not flickering. However, the described approaches apply here as weell since they deal with the same place where the problem could lay in.

Let us know if something from the list helped you.