It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:21 pm

Skins (Blinking, Flickering, Disappear)

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Havoc

Re: Skins (Blinking, Flickering, Disappear)

Post by Havoc »

Active Colors wrote: June 19th, 2023, 12:04 am I have quite extensively described what to do in the familiar case here
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=38833
and in the follow up message in the thread here
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=38833#p209321

Note that it is about skins hiding but not flickering. However, the described approaches apply here as weell since they deal with the same place where the problem could lay in.

Let us know if something from the list helped you.
Thanks to everyone who responded to the problem!

I tried some tips, the problem with combinations (alt + tab and win + d) disappeared.

But with win + d remained. Skins are on * Normal * - they blink. I tried to change it to *Bottom* - the skin stopped blinking when pressed, but simply disappears until it is pressed again. And last tried *On top * - skins stopped blinking, but hang on top of windows.

I also tried to completely reinstall the program and looked for a problem among other processes that are also superimposed on the screen (Wallpaper, TaskbarX, TranslucentTB), but found nothing

I'll try some more points from another topic or installing earlier versions of the program

There is also an assumption that the number of processes in the system is to blame for everything - 140, but even if so, I have no idea what can be disabled and what not. (I switched to Win 10 a week ago)
I will attach a file with a list of processes, maybe it will help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Havoc wrote: June 19th, 2023, 4:59 ambut even if so, I have no idea what can be disabled and what not. (I switched to Win 10 a week ago)
Alright, here is a list of processes you have and can be disabled. The list is based on my subjective experience (I'm quite restrictive with what processes - and to a lesser extent services - that I allow to run in the background or connect to the internet, and it has served me well over the years since I only allow things that are actually needed, no bloatware, no crapware) and on a comparison with my own task list retrieved using the same method (since I also have an nVidia discrete card, Win 10, etc. but I don't experience the issues you have):

Code: Select all

Id ProcessName                 Description               Company               Path                                                                  
   -- -----------                 -----------               -------               ----                                                                  
 3712 FoxitPDFReaderUpdateService                                                                                                                       
 3696 gameinputsvc                                                                                                                                      
 3896 gameinputsvc                                                                                                                                      
 5812 gamingservices                                                                                                                                    
 5820 gamingservicesnet                                                                                                                                 
 3856 nvcontainer                                                                                                                                       
 6272 nvcontainer                                                                                                                                       
 3548 NVIDIA Web Helper           NVIDIA Web Helper Service Node.js               C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NvNode\NVIDIA Web Helper.exe
 3604 OfficeClickToRun                                                                                                                                  
 2436 SDXHelper                                                                                                                                         
 7424 SearchApp                                                                                                                                         
 8844 ShareX                                                                                                                                            
 9096 TaskbarX                                                                                                                                          
 8712 TranslucentTB                                                                                                                                     
 8144 UserOOBEBroker                                                                                                                                    
 7012 vgtray                                                                                                                                            
 4184 wallpaper32                                                                 G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\wallpaper_engine\wallpaper32.exe     
 4012 wallpaperservice32_c                                                                                                                              
Here is a smaller list of processes that I personally don't trust much, have little experience with for that reason, and that "could" be disabled to see if they play a part in the issue you're experiencing. I know they're classified as trustworthy and all, but many things are and yet they still can cause various problems, so this is optional:

Code: Select all

Id ProcessName                 Description               Company               Path                                                                  
   -- -----------                 -----------               -------               ----                                                                  
 4020 MsMpEng                                                                                                                                           
 8244 NisSrv                                                                                                                                            
 1776 WUDFHost                                                                                                                                          
The rest of the processes should be ok to be running, many of them run for me too and I don't get the flickering.

What I recommend is, first, make sure your computer is clean, since some of the things above relate to security and you wouldn't want to disable them until you're sure you have nothing to worry by doing so. Second, google the ones you don't know about and be sure you know how to toggle them back to run like before, if necessary (some of them can be controlled from Task Manager / Startup, but not all). Third, for an even greater peace of mind, try stopping whichever you decide to stop while you are not connected to the internet.

Then, the best way to do it IMHO would be to temporarily disable / stop them all at once, for one Windows startup session (simply stopping them in the existing session might not produce the expected changes), just to see if any of them are to blame for the problem you have. Normally, this can be replicated even simpler, by booting Windows in Safe Mode, but there are some differences between the approaches, and those differences might play a part in the flickering. Do your skin tests as extensive as you can, notice whether the flickering has been stopped or alleviated, then toggle them back to their original running states if they are not to blame. If they are, you can try further isolating the problem by disabling / stopping just a few, and so on.

The rest is up to you. It's entirely possible that such processes are not to blame, but some other forgotten Windows setting, so at a minimum, what this does is either eliminate or place the suspicion on them. One other thing, when you say that you "switched" to Win 10 a week ago, did you mean by doing a clean install, right? I'm saying this because clean (and pragmatic, i.e. keep only what you need) installs are the best way to ensure things work out as they are supposed to be. Updates are a nice thing to have, but I prefer clean installing new versions 9 times out of 10, and the effects are noticeable - just saying.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

trivial tiatribe:

I don't have any of those services even on the list disabled or otherwise.

How someone who used a decent security program would have those is kinda like - how?

end trivial diatribe.

:vomit:
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: June 19th, 2023, 2:54 pmHow someone who used a decent security program would have those is kinda like - how?
It's not really about security, since none of them should be dangerous or such. Some of them are simply what you'd call bloatware (i.e. stuff you don't really need, e.g. "update" or "enhancement" stuff that one can very well live without), while others might be probable causes for the flickering via a "conflict" of some sort with Rainmeter since their jobs are directly related to how things are displayed on the screen (e.g. "beautifiers" and such). No security program alerts on using either, nor should it. Technically, there's no strong reason to not have them running ... as long as they don't produce side effects (and this is the whole point here - to eliminate that concern when it comes to the experienced flickering).
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Yincognito wrote: June 19th, 2023, 3:16 pm It's not really about security, since none of them should be dangerous or such. Some of them are simply what you'd call bloatware (i.e. stuff you don't really need, e.g. "update" or "enhancement" stuff that one can very well live without), while others might be probable causes for the flickering via a "conflict" of some sort with Rainmeter since their jobs are directly related to how things are displayed on the screen (e.g. "beautifiers" and such). No security program alerts on using either, nor should it. Technically, there's no strong reason to not have them running ... as long as they don't produce side effects (and this is the whole point here - to eliminate that concern when it comes to the experienced flickering).
Sorry about the misunderstanding. I mis-thought such things are unintentional. :vomit:

iirc, my win 10 is a custom build from the start, so it is likely those things were removed to avoid unneeded bloatware - or it is at least possible in that view.

I hope the issue gets resolved. I cannot reproduce the cause on my system, so I really have no idea about anything else, unless shared in this thread.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: June 19th, 2023, 4:11 pm Sorry about the misunderstanding. I mis-thought such things are unintentional.
It's ok, it happens. I only mentioned making sure everything was clean and disconnecting from the internet for the case where some security processes in the 2nd list were temporarily stopped or disabled, that's all. ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

My computer has two video cards: an integrated one and a nVidia (with an up-to-date driver, I hope). Rainmeter was set to use the nVidia card, what led Rainmeter blinking, as described previously. When I switched Rainmeter to use the integrated card, the issue suddenly disappeared.
My reaction: :o :jawdrop :o
No explanation. If the case would have been the opposite one (blinking with the integrated card and not with the nVidia) would have been nice, but this case left me speechless...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: June 19th, 2023, 7:46 pm My computer has two video cards: an integrated one and a nVidia (with an up-to-date driver, I hope). Rainmeter was set to use the nVidia card, what led Rainmeter blinking, as described previously. When I switched Rainmeter to use the integrated card, the issue suddenly disappeared.
My reaction: :o :jawdrop :o
No explanation. If the case would have been the opposite one (blinking with the integrated card and not with the nVidia) would have been nice, but this case left me speechless...
My laptop has roughly the same setup: an integrated video card (AMD Radeon Vega 6) and a discrete one (nVidia GeForce GTX 1650). I had Rainmeter set to use the nVidia card, and as I mentioned before, experienced no blinking on Win + D (or any other key combination, for that matter, but Win + D was easier to test so I used it most of the times). Now after reading what you did, I set it to the AMD card, and still no blinking yet. I even set it from the nVidia Control Panel one way and from the Start / Settings / System / Graphics Settings the other way (for the record, from what I read, the latter is the "right" way to do it and should have "priority" over the former), as well as trying with Hardware Accelaration on and off for every case, in an effort to reproduce the issue, but didn't change anything - my skins just don't blink / flicker and that's it.

I don't have an explanation for this either, BUT I know of software which is sensible to what video card is run onto, and whether that card is the integrated one or not (as far as I recall, it's Space Engine 0.9.8.0, which also prefers the integrated AMD card for me). In fact, it claims that a bug from nVidia drivers is the cause, and that the newest driver from them "fixes" the problem. Trying to get it to run on nVidia too, I downloaded and installed that new driver (that was a couple of weeks ago), and instead of fixing things, not only I still wasn't able to run the program on the discrete card, BUT it did produce a disappearing / blinking / flickering problem on my cursor, for example, when writing some post on this forum in my Chrome browser (skins weren't affected).

The cursor disappearing issue was so severe and annoying that I thought the forum software was buggy and wanted to post it as a bug here... until I remembered that the driver was installed recently and could be the culprit. I uninstalled it, reinstalled my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GameReady Driver 471.96, and what you know, problem gone. I didn't mention this before because I didn't think it was related to the skin issue, but here you have a perfect example of how bad an "update" can go (hence always clean installing things that are tested and known to work). For the record, the issue was that the cursor disappeared as soon as I started to type or move with the mouse on stuff, and only minimizing, waiting a bit, then restoring the browser window (I did this via clicking the Chrome taskbar icon, not using Win + D) showed the cursor again ... until the next occurrence, that is (and they were frequent). Another effect I had was that I could see some very faint white stuff "behind" or "inside" the broswer / message window (not sure if it was the cursor painted white or some things on the desktop behind, though my desktop is usually clean).

As for the video card preference, my guess is that in some cases (or all?), Windows expects the integrated card to be the "desktop mode" one, and the discrete card to be used for games and other D3D stuff that don't use the desktop mode. This could be the logic behind it, but I'm not 100% sure it checks out, just a wild guess.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: June 19th, 2023, 10:09 pm I don't have an explanation for this either, BUT I know of software which is sensible to what video card is run onto,
Yep, most probably this is right. No problem by that blinking at all from my point of view, didn1t even noticed it before the post, so I definitely don't look for which software is causing this.
Aser Lexus

Post by Aser Lexus »

I've found the reason for the Rainmeter flickering. It's all about the desktop slideshow. When personalization settings for desktop wallpaper are set to "slideshow", Rainmeter goes crazy. I haven't found a way to fix this. Returning to the standard wallpaper settings does not solve the problem. Only reinstalling Windows helps. I hope this information will help developers understand how to bring Rainmeter back to life without reinstalling the system.