It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:57 am

Asian character support on the twitter reader

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
fenriswaffles

Asian character support on the twitter reader

Post by fenriswaffles »

Any Asian characters (in this case, Japanese) show up on the Enigma Twitter reader skin as some string of numbers (something like: 唐)

I know the Gmail reader displays them just fine, is it a difference in how Gmail and twitter display the characters? Is there really anything I can do to remedy this?
maminscris

Re: Asian character support on the twitter reader

Post by maminscris »

fenriswaffles

Post by fenriswaffles »

Well, it seems at the end of the thread, the poster speaks of a similar problem to mine, without an answer yet.

Just doing substitution would seem ridiculous for the number of Japanese characters.

and I haven't quite figured out how the codepage thing works, I've added it under the [Feed] section as "codepage=932" (I was not quite sure what the codepage would be, and searching most commonly came up with that result), the .rss feed says its encoding is UTF-8, if thats of any help.

EDIT: Actually looking at the .rss, its the same thing there.
kenz0
Developer

Post by kenz0 »

This problem is not related to encoding type of feed, and it is matter of numeric character reference.
Unfortunately, WebParser doesn't have the feature to decode a character reference like browser.
We have only a way to replace each characters using Substitute. (e.g. Substitute="あ":"あ")
But this solution is impractical as you know because you have to replace several thousands of characters.

This problem may be improved in a future version, but spx's WebParser.dll would help you for the meantime.
fenriswaffles

Post by fenriswaffles »

Thank you kenz0, that was very much appreciated. Even if it isn't solved in future releases, I at least have some better understanding of how to go about it.