It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:03 pm

NOAA/Storm Prediction Center v1

Weather skins
Thinkr8

Post by Thinkr8 »

SPC_SS.png

I'm sharing my latest creation hoping you'll improve upon it if you can.
I'm thinking if we can get the website "parsed" we could really benefit from this creation, especially now with climate change and storms getting more intense.

I did try the parsing thing using RainRegExp.exe and I'm unable to wrap my head around the procedure. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...

If'n we can get this creation to display more details it is then and only then I will release it to my DA account.
I guess if'n no one wants to take the time and improve upon it I will know in about 30 days.

Thank you.

What products are covered in the RSS feed?

The SPC RSS feed is updated whenever one or more of the following products were issued by the Storm Prediction Center.

Tornado/severe thunderstorm watch: watch number and the link to the watch page and watch status page if issued.

Mesoscale discussion: MD number and the link to the MD page.

Convective Day 1,2,3 & 4-8 outlooks: valid date and time of the outlook and the link to the outlook product page.

Fire weather Day 1,2 & 3-8 outlook: valid date and time of the fire weather outlook and link to the fire weather page.

CREDITS:

Wallpaper_By Thinkr8 - Wallpaper is included.

JSMorely - For (weather.com)

(I usually point all the .ini files to .inc files. Most of the time the .inc files are located in a folder name: "Ink." So if you're looking for the .inc's -in this case- go to, !Rainmeter\Skins\Storm Prediction Center v1\@Resources\Ink. There you will find them.)

REQUIRED SYSTEM:

CPU: 6 cores and up.

RAM: 8GB & Up. Perfer 16GB.

GPU: Onboard or PCI-E. Perfer PCI-E.

Rainmeter Skin Package Info:

Rainmeter Version 4.17.3700 (64-bit) 01-29-2021 Win7 and Up.

Skin Installer Size: 7.18 MB.

English Only.

Every Rainmeter skin/suite I make is free from unwanted content.

Folder Size: 9.05 MB / Files: 105 / 18 Folders. (after installing/folder properties)
NOAA_Storm Prediction Center_1.04-01-2023.rmskin
Additional website links are in the file, Storm Prediction Center v1.ini (SPC website links)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Someone said, "Your thinking too much, so I thought more."
Thinkr8

Re: NOAA/Storm Prediction Center v1

Post by Thinkr8 »

Really? No One? :(
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Thinkr8 wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 11:08 am Really? No One? :(
You have a good start to view information from NOAA, and I believe the reason for limited response is due to NOAA only providing data for the U.S.A. and territories, while the Rainmeter community is global.

If it helps, I looked using NWS data a while back and created a package of 2 skins you can look at. I haven't looked at improving them due to the limited interest and as you mentioned, the difficulty of obtaining weather data in an easy-to-use format. I may revisit this project, but it may not generate a lot of interest here due to its limited coverage area.

Hopefully that won't deter you from continuing to work on this project or asking for specific help if needed. :)
Thinkr8

Post by Thinkr8 »

Thank you very much eclectic-tech, as always I look forward to your input. :) And thanks for the packages. :)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Thinkr8 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:57 pmI did try the parsing thing using RainRegExp.exe and I'm unable to wrap my head around the procedure. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...

If'n we can get this creation to display more details it is then and only then I will release it to my DA account.
I guess if'n no one wants to take the time and improve upon it I will know in about 30 days.
Thinkr8 wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 11:08 am Really? No One? :(
I thought you gave folks a one month time to decide on this? Or was it one day? :D

Besides eclectic-tech's observation about the regional character of these feeds, there could be other reasons for the limited response as well:
- the topic is in the wrong place for getting help on the matter (e.g. this section is supposed to contain complete releases, as far as I know)
- it isn't clear what you refer to when it comes to improvement: collaborative work, others' work for your skin, some specific parsing help, etc.
- it isn't clear what exactly you aim to improve or develop: which address, which part of the webpage, how the structure should look like, etc.
- some data on those NOAA addresses is technical and of reduced common interest, e.g. what are convective outlooks or mesoscale discussions
- even if none of the above would be an issue, it isn't clear what info you want to extract from those addresses or the envisioned level of detail
Basically, the subject is particular, extensive and confusing, and is placed in an area visited mostly by those looking to download and enjoy stuff rather than work on them (especially if they aren't able to take advantage of it themselves).

Other than that, RainRegExp is a good tool, but not that suited for larger or more complex regex tasks. Sites like RegExr are more practical:
RegExr.jpg
The webpage source pasted there, a couple of right clicks and Inspect actions in the browser or formatting via WebFormatter of the page corresponding to the source for a more human readable reference (knowing that the reference won't be exactly the same as the source when it comes to quotes, new lines and similar), some common sense in choosing near unique anchors and a proper structure in your regular expression, as well as a bit of patience and confidence is all you need to get it done - it's all I need as well in these cases. Add that to some basic knowledge on WebParser and how it works and it isn't that hard, if you really want it. The last bit is important, at least for me - motivation, whether it's good will, seeing things as a challenge or an interest in making it work is key.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Thinkr8

Post by Thinkr8 »

Board Index/Community Support/Share Your Creations
"Post your work-in-progress and completed skins to share and discuss."

I looked at, "Post your work in progress ... and thought this is the place to post this." But, thank you for clarifying that for me. If this post is in the wrong spot, then can be moved to where it should be?

And yes, I lost my patience when I saw how many people viewed the post and had no input. My bad.

The website RegExr looks promising and I'll have to take the time to look at it, thank you. :)

AS far providing any details on how I'd like to see this creation get improvements I will have to get back to ya on that.
It's time to think more about it. Thank you. :)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Thinkr8 wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 10:34 am Board Index/Community Support/Share Your Creations
"Post your work-in-progress and completed skins to share and discuss."

I looked at, "Post your work in progress ... and thought this is the place to post this." But, thank you for clarifying that for me. If this post is in the wrong spot, then can be moved to where it should be?

And yes, I lost my patience when I saw how many people viewed the post and had no input. My bad.
Ah, I see, I missed the description of the section - you're right. I wasn't criticizing you for posting it here or being impatient after one day, by the way, I only meant the former as a possible explanation for the lack of reaction (given what this section is mostly used for by people, in practice) and the latter as a joke about the difference between words and actions in general, that's all.

So, you did nothing wrong and it wasn't my intention to suggest that you did - sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have worded it better, I just thought of trying to offer some general help and ideas on this, along with a feedback of some sort. I too was a bit impatient or worried that some of my own posts had been ignored in the past on other matters (eclectic-tech knows, lol), but the world / internet is a big place and one cannot expect everyone to have the same interests as himself. Plus, if someone wants folks to contribute to something, he generally has to make that option attractive or necessary for them. :confused:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Thinkr8

Post by Thinkr8 »

That's cool Yincognito, I'm not mad. And at this time I still can't give any details on this creation -still thinking about it-