It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:47 pm

Learning Rainmeter coding

General topics related to Rainmeter.
TroVo05

Learning Rainmeter coding

Post by TroVo05 »

Is there a spot to go to learn rainmeter coding? I know this site is great BUT where can I go to read about code and study/learn it. I would love to get into this and become more advanced. If y’all can point me into the right direction, rainmeter coding for dummies I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Learning Rainmeter coding

Post by SilverAzide »

TroVo05 wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:47 am Is there a spot to go to learn rainmeter coding? I know this site is great BUT where can I go to read about code and study/learn it. I would love to get into this and become more advanced. If y’all can point me into the right direction, rainmeter coding for dummies I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Why don't you start by reading the user manual?

Rainmeter is not really a programming language in the traditional sense. It's really more of a configuration language using "code" in old-style Windows .INI-formatted files. Where math or logic expressions are used, the language it most closely resembles (and can use) is Lua. There's no looping and structured programming in Rainmeter, it's just configuration. If you really need actual programming (for loops and other complex processing), you can write code in Lua that can be called from your Rainmeter skin, but this is not typical.

Find a skin you like and start playing around with it to figure out how it works. Don't try to jump into complex skins like weather skins, audio visualizers, etc., otherwise you may get overwhelmed. The first thing to learn is "measures" read things, "meters" write things (to your display). They may look a little bit the same, but they are totally different and you don't want to get them mixed up. The manual will show you the rest.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

TroVo05 wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:47 am Is there a spot to go to learn rainmeter coding? I know this site is great BUT where can I go to read about code and study/learn it. I would love to get into this and become more advanced. If y’all can point me into the right direction, rainmeter coding for dummies I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
I would start here: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/getting-started/using-rainmeter/.
This explains the basic ideas to work with skins.
From there click on the links in the lower right corner to see more advanced techniques.

Then start installing some of the example skins or simple-looking skins and making code modifications.
Don't worry if you break the skin, it can be repaired simply by reinstalling the skin.

If you have questions, and the Documentation doesn't help, feel free to ask on this forum under 'Help with Skins'.

Welcome! :welcome:
TroVo05

Post by TroVo05 »

:twisted:
SilverAzide wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 1:28 pm Why don't you start by reading the user manual?

Rainmeter is not really a programming language in the traditional sense. It's really more of a configuration language using "code" in old-style Windows .INI-formatted files. Where math or logic expressions are used, the language it most closely resembles (and can use) is Lua. There's no looping and structured programming in Rainmeter, it's just configuration. If you really need actual programming (for loops and other complex processing), you can write code in Lua that can be called from your Rainmeter skin, but this is not typical.

Find a skin you like and start playing around with it to figure out how it works. Don't try to jump into complex skins like weather skins, audio visualizers, etc., otherwise you may get overwhelmed. The first thing to learn is "measures" read things, "meters" write things (to your display). They may look a little bit the same, but they are totally different and you don't want to get them mixed up. The manual will show you the rest.
Thanks! Yeah maybe coding is the wrong term. I want to get good with rainmeter not actual coding I guess. Wasn’t sure in the terminology.

I’ll see what I can do.