It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:04 pm

New Windows Media Player not working with Media Player Skins

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
SunBurst29

New Windows Media Player not working with Media Player Skins

Post by SunBurst29 »

I'm currently using Windows 11 and it has a new Windows Media Player. So of course now my media player skin doesn't work with the new WMP and instead only functions with Windows Media Player Legacy(the old WMP). I just want to know how to make the skin use the new WMP. The skin makes you select which media player you use. In most places on my computer the new media player is just called Media Player.

Link to media player skin:
https://www.deviantart.com/madmilov2/art/La-Compagnie-des-Ombres-Music-1-2-487138316
Last edited by SunBurst29 on February 17th, 2023, 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ikarus1969

Re: New Windows Media Player not working with Media Player Skins

Post by ikarus1969 »

which skin are you talking about? Could you provide a link where we can download it, so we are able to have a look at your problem? Which new Windows Media Player do you have, which version is it?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SunBurst29 wrote: February 17th, 2023, 3:05 am I'm currently using Windows 11 and it has a new Windows Media Player. So of course now my media player skin doesn't work with the new WMP and instead only functions with Windows Media Player Legacy(the old WMP). I just want to know how to make the skin use the new WMP. The skin makes you select which media player you use.
Personally can't really help you with this, because I'm still on Windows 10 and WMP 12, which is perfectly compatible with the NowPlaying measures (I assume your skin which doesn't work with the new WMP, uses NowPlaying measures), but can make a recommendation. A while ago a Media Player Plugin has been released by i2002. It can get the track info and can control any media player that shows up in the volume notification in Windows 10. Hope the new WMP can do this. If it can, you can use the mentioned plugin to get the skin working, at least partially (unfortunately the plugin can't return every information which can be accessed by the NowPlaying measures, but it can at least access the most important information, like title and artist).
If you are interested, you can give a try to this plugin. If you don't really know how to do this, please let us know, for further help.
SunBurst29

Post by SunBurst29 »

ikarus1969 wrote: February 17th, 2023, 6:23 am which skin are you talking about? Could you provide a link where we can download it, so we are able to have a look at your problem? Which new Windows Media Player do you have, which version is it?
Ok, I put the link in the original post and the Windows 11 Media Player app is version 11.2211.36.0
SunBurst29

Post by SunBurst29 »

balala wrote: February 17th, 2023, 3:09 pm Personally can't really help you with this, because I'm still on Windows 10 and WMP 12, which is perfectly compatible with the NowPlaying measures (I assume your skin which doesn't work with the new WMP, uses NowPlaying measures), but can make a recommendation. A while ago a Media Player Plugin has been released by i2002. It can get the track info and can control any media player that shows up in the volume notification in Windows 10. Hope the new WMP can do this. If it can, you can use the mentioned plugin to get the skin working, at least partially (unfortunately the plugin can't return every information which can be accessed by the NowPlaying measures, but it can at least access the most important information, like title and artist).
If you are interested, you can give a try to this plugin. If you don't really know how to do this, please let us know, for further help.
So I tried using that media player skin and it does everything except show the album covers. And to make it work with the skin I just had to replace all of the NowPlaying.dll with MediaPlayer.dll right? I don't know if I missed something but doing that just makes rainmeter crash when the modified skin is loaded.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SunBurst29 wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:29 pm So I tried using that media player skin and it does everything except show the album covers.
It should through the [mCover] measure. And it does show it for me, but using not the new Windows Media Player (which, as said, I don't have), but Groove Music. I don't know how WMP treats the cover, maybe there is something related to the player (however if all other information are shown correctly, the cover should also be shown). Unfortunately I can't help you more here, probably there would be needed someone using the same player as you. Additionally you might try adding a question to the Media Player Plugin topic.
SunBurst29 wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:29 pm And to make it work with the skin I just had to replace all of the NowPlaying.dll with MediaPlayer.dll right? I don't know if I missed something but doing that just makes rainmeter crash when the modified skin is loaded.
I assume you skin is an older one, having the NowPlaying measures written as Plugin measures. However even if this is right, it's not quite so easy as rewriting the Plugin options with MediaPlayer, not mentioning the case in which those measures are written not as Plugin, but as NowPlaying measures (however I doubt this is the case). For first the NowPlaying measures (doesn't matter if they have been written as Plugin or directly as NowPlaying measures), should have a parent - child structure (at least this is the most usual procedure with these measures), which if I'm correct, is not supported by the MediaPlayer plugin. Secondly, even the above issue is not a problem here, some of the NowPlaying measures most probably are used to return information which are not supported by the MediaPlayer plugin.
So, no, it's not so easy to rewrite the code. For further help, for first please post the code of your skin here. If it is using some resources, you might want to pack the config and upload the package. Or alternatively, if you're using a published skin, you could post a link, where it can be downloaded (note that if you're using such a skin, but that one has been altered by you, this is not a good procedure, in this case post the code or upload the package, as asked above).
Patedi

Post by Patedi »

SunBurst29 wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:29 pm So I tried using that media player skin and it does everything except show the album covers. And to make it work with the skin I just had to replace all of the NowPlaying.dll with MediaPlayer.dll right? I don't know if I missed something but doing that just makes rainmeter crash when the modified skin is loaded.
It's important to note that the specific usage and features of the Media Player plugin on the i2002 device can vary depending on the device's manufacturer, firmware version, and any customizations made by the user or system administrator. For detailed instructions and information on using the Media Player plugin, it is recommended to refer to the user manual or documentation provided by the device manufacturer.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Patedi wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 3:44 pm It's important to note that the specific usage and features of the Media Player plugin on the i2002 device can vary depending on the device's manufacturer, firmware version, and any customizations made by the user or system administrator. For detailed instructions and information on using the Media Player plugin, it is recommended to refer to the user manual or documentation provided by the device manufacturer.
You're mixing things up here. The plugin has little to do with the hardware aspects you mentioned, and much more to do with the software ones:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/audio-video-camera/system-media-transport-controls
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Perhaps integrate the old MediaPlayer measure to capture the album art?
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.