It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:20 pm

drop icon on top of skin prohibited

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
steffanou

drop icon on top of skin prohibited

Post by steffanou »

I'm using rainmeter to draw "fences" around my icones to organize my desk. Simple rectangles with titles. It's great with the option "click through" checked.

But if I try to drag and drop a new icon/shortcut on it change the cursor to the stop/prohibited 🛇.

==> Is there a way to let desktop icons be dropped on skins to move the icon there?

(Workaround is to unload the skin, move icon, load the skin, but it's too many clicks)

Thanks
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: drop icon on top of skin prohibited

Post by SilverAzide »

steffanou wrote: December 28th, 2022, 3:56 pm I'm using rainmeter to draw "fences" around my icones to organize my desk. Simple rectangles with titles. It's great with the option "click through" checked.

But if I try to drag and drop a new icon/shortcut on it change the cursor to the stop/prohibited 🛇.

==> Is there a way to let desktop icons be dropped on skins to move the icon there?

(Workaround is to unload the skin, move icon, load the skin, but it's too many clicks)

Thanks
Any particular reason you don't want to use an app that is specifically built to do exactly what you are asking, namely Stardock Fences? I don't mean to promote their app, but it does exactly what you want and it works a lot better than a Rainmeter skin ever could (due to Windows limitations/restrictions like you have discovered).
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
steffanou

Post by steffanou »

I've tried Fences v3 before and didn't like it. I found it clunky, not working as well as I was expecting. so I stopped using it.
So far Rainmeter is nearly what I was looking for, something to "draw" on the background image without actualy editing the background image.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

steffanou wrote: December 30th, 2022, 3:00 am I've tried Fences v3 before and didn't like it. I found it clunky, not working as well as I was expecting. so I stopped using it.
So far Rainmeter is nearly what I was looking for, something to "draw" on the background image without actualy editing the background image.
Folderview may come close to what you are looking for...
It does support dropping folders on the skin, but not individual desktop link icons.

Or look through 'Dock and launchers' for other possibilities
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

If the limitation is simply the skin getting in the way, make a Clickthrough section for the icon to be dropped on.

Otherwise, dropping icons there are plugins like ET said.

Also, if there is an icon there already that would also cause issues.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

CodeCode wrote: January 1st, 2023, 5:52 am If the limitation is simply the skin getting in the way, make a Clickthrough section for the icon to be dropped on.

Otherwise, dropping icons there are plugins like ET said. https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/bangs/#ClickThrough

Also, if there is an icon there already that would also cause issues.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.