It is currently April 20th, 2024, 4:25 pm

RM 4.5.16 crashes when using Folderinfo plugin with IncludeSubfolder=1

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
scorpius

RM 4.5.16 crashes when using Folderinfo plugin with IncludeSubfolder=1

Post by scorpius »

Hello, there,

I recently updated my Rainmeter to 4.5.16.3687 (64-bit). All of my skins worked but one. After testing, I narrowed the issue down measures with the Folderinfo plugin and specifically when using IncludeSubfolders=1 on 3 folders (AppData, Windows, and WinSXS). I use these measures to calculate specific drive space for including in a ToolTipText meter.

The process worked before the update and IncludeSubfolders works for any other measure that doesn't include these three folders. See below sample.

Any thoughts on why the new RM wouldn't work for this measure and folders? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Note: I have tried using the variables with and without quotation marks and have tried setting the folder options to be a variable and direct path.

--------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

[Variables]
PathAppData="C:\Users\Me\AppData"
PathWin="C:\Windows"
PathWinSXS="C:\Windows\WinSXS"

[MeasureFolderAppData]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\FolderInfo.dll
Folder=#PathAppData#
InfoType=FolderSize
IncludeHiddenFiles=1
IncludeSubFolders=1     ******* If I comment out this line, the plugin works and RM doesn't crash ********
IncludeSystemFiles=0
RegExpFilter=.*
UpdateDivider=900

[MeasureFolderWin]
Measure=Plugin
Folder=#PathWin#
InfoType=FolderSize
IncludeHiddenFiles=1
IncludeSubFolders=1     ******* If I comment out this line, the plugin works and RM doesn't crash ********
IncludeSystemFiles=0
RegExpFilter=.*
UpdateDivider=900

[MeasureFolderWinSXS]
Measure=Plugin
Folder=#PathWinSXS#
InfoType=FolderSize
IncludeHiddenFiles=1
IncludeSystemFiles=0
RegExpFilter=.*
UpdateDivider=900
Last edited by balala on November 5th, 2022, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use <code> tags whenever are posting codes. It's the </> button.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: RM 4.5.16 crashes when using Folderinfo plugin with IncludeSubfolder=1

Post by SilverAzide »

scorpius wrote: November 5th, 2022, 6:14 am Hello, there,

I recently updated my Rainmeter to 4.5.16.3687 (64-bit). All of my skins worked but one. After testing, I narrowed the issue down measures with the Folderinfo plugin and specifically when using IncludeSubfolders=1 on 3 folders (AppData, Windows, and WinSXS). I use these measures to calculate specific drive space for including in a ToolTipText meter.

The process worked before the update and IncludeSubfolders works for any other measure that doesn't include these three folders. See below sample.

Any thoughts on why the new RM wouldn't work for this measure and folders? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Note: I have tried using the variables with and without quotation marks and have tried setting the folder options to be a variable and direct path.
The code snippet you posted is working fine for me with 4.5.16.3687 (64-bit). It takes a while (the first time) to traverse those large folders (and Rainmeter pauses for seconds seconds while doing so), but once it does, it's pretty quick. Do you see any error messages in the Rainmeter log?
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: November 5th, 2022, 4:21 pm The code snippet you posted is working fine for me with 4.5.16.3687 (64-bit). It takes a while (the first time) to traverse those large folders (and Rainmeter pauses for seconds seconds while doing so), but once it does, it's pretty quick. Do you see any error messages in the Rainmeter log?
Same here. The code perfectly works, no crash at all, not even after many minutes of running. I'm also on Rainmeter 4.5.16.3687 (64-bit).
scorpius wrote: November 5th, 2022, 6:14 am Note: I have tried using the variables with and without quotation marks and have tried setting the folder options to be a variable and direct path.
None of this does matter. Rainmeter simply ignores the starting and ending quotes on any option (including Substitute!!!). When using a variable "declared" in the [Variables] section in any option, it is acting like the value of it would be written directly to the option. If you change the variable with a !SetOption bang might be another story, but while you're using its directly set value, there is no difference between writing the option directly into the appropriate section or using a variable.
scorpius wrote: November 5th, 2022, 6:14 am Any thoughts on why the new RM wouldn't work for this measure and folders? Any help is greatly appreciated.
The only thing what I see wrong at least in the posted code is the comments added to the end of IncludeSubfolders options of all three measures. In Rainmeter, unlike in real programming languages (what Rainmeter is not), you can't add a comment after an option (and in this case you didn't even add the commenting out character, the semicolon). Comments always have to be added in new lins, which contain ONLY the comment. So the
IncludeSubFolders=1 ******* If I comment out this line, the plugin works and RM doesn't crash ******** options should be only IncludeSubFolders=1. Not sure this fixes the error, especially that as said we couldn't replicate the issue, but probably worth a try.
scorpius

Post by scorpius »

Thanks SilverAzide and balala for verifying the code snippet for me. Perhaps I am getting some other issue from my system that is causing the crash. I will look again and see if there are any errors elsewhere as well.

Perhaps I will try the !Setoption bang and see if that makes a difference on my system.

And yes, those comments would be an issue, I just added those to call out the line item in the note. : ) (I'm sure I've screwed that up before so thanks for the reminder!)

Again, thanks for the help.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

1. Can you try launching Rainmeter with administrative rights and see whether the problem persists?

2. Additionally, can you check if Rainmeter has all the proper rights in place to read those folders?

3. Can you possible downgrade to some of the previous Rainmeter versions you knew working? Maybe something happend during the update that is causing the problem.

4. Can you share with us the whole skin and not just the snippets?
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: November 6th, 2022, 4:05 am 4. Can you share with us the whole skin and not just the snippets?
Having the skin would be most important. This means that packing the whole config and uploading the package would be needed. Posting even the whole code, might be not enough.