It is currently April 24th, 2024, 11:56 pm

A Note Reader w/ Voice?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
MarkVI

A Note Reader w/ Voice?

Post by MarkVI »

Is there such an add on that is a note reader and can offer voice updates periodically (15mins, 30mins, 1hr)?

In other words, I want to make notes and have my computer 'remind' me of what needs to be done. I'm probably not explaining this right.
JpsCrazy

Re: A Note Reader w/ Voice?

Post by JpsCrazy »

There is no add on that I know of, but there is a way.
IF you have a program to make the text speak.

jsmorley did it for a time/weather skin.
He made a script in AutoIt.

It is indeed possible, but I don't personally know how. :P
You probably have to make AutoIt activate a program that speaks (The Speech program that comes with Windows?) and then direct it to your skin. Have the UpdateDivider to make it speak every hour.
It's probably more complicated than that, but there's a general idea.

Excellent idea though.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

jsmorley's autoit app actually uses Google's online TTS. Another option is to use Nircmd to send text to Windows' built-in TTS.
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

i use

!execute ["C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons\NirCmd\nircmd.exe" speak text "Whatever you want spoken"]

or

!execute ["C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons\NirCmd\nircmd.exe" speak text "[Measure you want spoken]"]

0r

!execute ["C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons\NirCmd\nircmd.exe" speak file "path to a text file you want spoken"]

and put nircmd (http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/speak.html) in "C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Addons\NirCmd"

hope this helps you :)
MarkVI

Post by MarkVI »

Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to give this a try.

I was really inspired by the JSCLOCKWEATHER. It announces the time and weather on the hour. And I was thinking that it would be cool to have the same sort of announcements for my to-do list.

Wasky1, I'm going to give this a shot but will your way provide me with incremental updates or will I have to "plug" this info in everytime I want it announced?

Thanks!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

MarkVI

Post by MarkVI »

Hey, thanks!!! I really appreciate it!
wasky1

Post by wasky1 »

MarkVI wrote: Wasky1, I'm going to give this a shot but will your way provide me with incremental updates or will I have to "plug" this info in everytime I want it announced?

Thanks!
if you meen does it need to be commanded to speak then yes, but this doesnt mean you have to press a button, the action can be set to a calc measure to play how often you want.

the option jsmorley gave you probably suites your needs better as it has a "stop" option, where nircmd would have to use another app to end the task called "taskill" if you wanted to stop.