It is currently April 24th, 2024, 2:45 pm

[Feature] SkinInstaller.exe parameter options

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Jax

[Feature] SkinInstaller.exe parameter options

Post by Jax »

So a lot of people had requested a feature to install multiple modules in JaxCore. But upon working on it, I realised that it would be pretty funky if Rainmeter keeps restarting everytime a skin is installed. Hence I am hoping for an update for SkinInstaller to accept params similar to Rainmeter.exe like:
/RESTART=0 - Does not restart Rainmeter afterwards
/INSTALLPLUGINS=0 - Does not install Plugins
/S - Does not show popup
/INSTALLSKINS=0 - Does not update / install skin
/BACKUP=0 - Does not backup skin
... and such

Let me know if you have any questions! :thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Feature] SkinInstaller.exe parameter options

Post by Yincognito »

As far as I know, not making a backup or not installing plugins or layouts is configurable from the skin installation popup, if I'm not mistaken. As for using only a set of skins / modules from a suite, an alternative would be to install everything and then just set a skin Group to only the selected ones, and perform operations only on that group instead of everything that is physically installed.

On the restart thing, I don't see any alternative than the one you suggested, but then, if you can solve the others in a different way, the restart point would become more or less moot, right?
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Jax

Post by Jax »

Yincognito wrote: July 27th, 2022, 7:43 am As far as I know, not making a backup or not installing plugins or layouts is configurable from the skin installation popup, if I'm not mistaken. As for using only a set of skins / modules from a suite, an alternative would be to install everything and then just set a skin Group to only the selected ones, and perform operations only on that group instead of everything that is physically installed.

On the restart thing, I don't see any alternative than the one you suggested, but then, if you can solve the others in a different way, the restart point would become more or less moot, right?
Most of the parameters I've suggested do exist as options inside the popup window, but I wanted to have the installations happen silently, so there is no need to use a funky script to virtually click on the UI popup. For the modules, installation everything would work, but having selections for what to install or not allows the modules to be updated individually, instead of in a batch (since there are over 10 skins already, and downloading everything at once would take too long)

When installing a skin, Rainmeter must restart, there's no option to turn that off.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Jax wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:14 pm Most of the parameters I've suggested do exist as options inside the popup window, but I wanted to have the installations happen silently, so there is no need to use a funky script to virtually click on the UI popup. For the modules, installation everything would work, but having selections for what to install or not allows the modules to be updated individually, instead of in a batch (since there are over 10 skins already, and downloading everything at once would take too long)

When installing a skin, Rainmeter must restart, there's no option to turn that off.
Indeed, your JaxCore is bigger in size, so downloading only what one need is reasonable. However, looking through your JaxCore modules, I see that the major contribution to them being larger in size is the Fonts subfolder. The contents of that folder is more or less repeated for every module, which of course will make the entire package (or even just a subset of your modules) quite big overall. Maybe you can save considerable space if you provide all the fonts as a separate (and one time only) download somehow. That way, the overall size of whatever modules one selects from JaxCore would drastically decrease. It's just an idea, feel free to consider it or not, or adjust it further to save space.

The silent install could be a nice thing, though I'm not sure how this would match giving the control to the user, unless the selection is done by the user via your internal "installation dialog window" so to speak. I mentioned getting all JaxCore and then only load the needed stuff because that would save you of the hassle of having to select the desired stuff yourself via scripts and such and would let Rainmeter handle that naturally. If you can reduce the size of the entire package as described above (there might be other ways too), maybe this can become a realistic possibility. After all, that's one of the advantages of a "skin suite", as you have just one @Resources folder used by all the skins, instead of multiplying its contents proportionally with the number of skins / modules.

Yeah, Rainmeter does restart when installing a skin. It's probably like that so one can load the just installed skin afterwards, because otherwise, most skins' contents can just be unzipped and copied accordingly and they'll work right away ... but only after a Refresh All from the context menu. I guess that is why the restart is more or less a necessity, because I assume that only when refreshing all the @Resources folders are scanned, based on the info here.

Anyway, let's see what the devs think about all this, when they can. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth