It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:30 pm

avoid rainmeter.ini autosave

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
ronzino

avoid rainmeter.ini autosave

Post by ronzino »

I wonder if there is a workaround for this issue.

I use rainmeter skin on a second monitor connect to my pc. Sometimes it can happen that or the second monitor is turned of or due too main monitor resolution changes, rainmeter does not detect in time the presence of the second monitor: in this case, rainmeter renders the whole skins to firtmonitor.

As UNFORTUNATLY rainmeter has autosave feature of rainmeter.ini, suddendly the skins position is overwritten with a randomic one on the main monitor and the original rainmeter.ini is lost.

I have tried to set "only readable file" option in windows for rainmeter.ini but as soon as I start rainmeter, an error messege is invoked saying that the file is not writable (and this is quite annoying).

So the only work around is to have a backup copy of rainmeter.ini and in such case that the issue is triggered i have to

close rainmeter
delete the rainmeter.ini wrongly saved
restore the backup ok rainmeter.ini
restart rainmeter

do you have any suggestion to avoid at least autosave or even better keep loading skins in the same position even if the second monitor is not present ?
CyberTheWorm

Re: avoid rainmeter.ini autosave

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Save a layout when you have the second monitor connected, that way you can just reload that layout.
ronzino

Post by ronzino »

CyberTheWorm wrote: May 9th, 2022, 9:02 pm Save a layout when you have the second monitor connected, that way you can just reload that layout.
mmm good suggestion, i have not yet tried so save a layout
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

ronzino wrote: May 9th, 2022, 9:07 pm mmm good suggestion, i have not yet tried so save a layout
In Rainmeter.ini, find the section for your skin and add the line SavePosition=0 (or set it to zero if it is present and set to 1). Then, in your skin, to ensure it never changes, add the line:

Code: Select all

DefaultSavePosition=0
More info here: Default Settings

If you do this, the skin position will never be saved again, so make sure it is in the spot you want it by default.