It is currently April 24th, 2024, 5:43 am

Is it possible for me to display the contents of a markdown file in a skin?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Innocent_Zero

Is it possible for me to display the contents of a markdown file in a skin?

Post by Innocent_Zero »

I wanted to create a skin that read the text off of a .md file that I frequently edit such that it displays the contents of the markdown file and update them when I do so. I ask for markdown specifically because it has formatting options that a regular .txt file does not and I'm open to alternative formats if rainmeter supports them and they have the necessary formatting options. I mostly need blockquotes and heading styles along with horizontal rules. I know basic rainmeter syntax and if it is of any help, python.
N0Syst3m15s@fe. Quite unfortunately, not even this one.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Is it possible for me to display the contents of a markdown file in a skin?

Post by SilverAzide »

Innocent_Zero wrote: May 4th, 2022, 10:21 am I wanted to create a skin that read the text off of a .md file that I frequently edit such that it displays the contents of the markdown file and update them when I do so. I ask for markdown specifically because it has formatting options that a regular .txt file does not and I'm open to alternative formats if rainmeter supports them and they have the necessary formatting options. I mostly need blockquotes and heading styles along with horizontal rules. I know basic rainmeter syntax and if it is of any help, python.
Displaying formatted text files isn't really Rainmeter's purpose in life. So the short answer to your question is: No.

The long answer is, Yes, you can do many (probably not all) markdown things with some work on your part. You can use regular expressions along with the String meter's Inline Options to display many markdown formatting options (bolding, italics, font sizing, etc.). You might not be able to handle things like images and hyperlinks, but that all depends on much work you are willing to put into it.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...