It is currently April 25th, 2024, 7:50 am

Show Desktop - Argh!

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
AdD1cT

Show Desktop - Argh!

Post by AdD1cT »

I feel quite embarrased posting this, ive just installed rainmaker (1.2) for the first time ever and i want to make sure it stays when i click 'show desktop' (Windows key + D). I tried to follow the patch notes:

If set to 1, the window is always on top of other windows. If 0, the window positioning is normal. If set to -1 the window stays behind the other windows. A value -2 pins the window to the desktop and 2 keeps the window ontop of other topmost windows.
Note that -2 (On Desktop) only works with Explorer.exe as the Window shell. Also be aware that the "order" of skins when two or more are set to "On Desktop" and positioned on top of each other is determined by their order in Rainmeter.ini in ascending order. The first skin [section] in Rainmeter.ini is on the bottom relative to ones that come after. A value of -2 (On Desktop) will work with XP/Vista/Windows 7 with the Aero Interface on or off. In Vista and Windows 7 if a skin is set to On Desktop and Windows "Show Desktop" is used (WIN+D), the Rainmeter skins will stay visible.

These values can also be set via the context menu by right-clicking the desired config and navigating to "Skin Menu > Position".

But have no idea where to go, i right-clicked the icon then went: > edit settings . Changed every 'AlwaysonTop' value to -2 and that didnt work, then i tried editing a few other files i found but no luck! Could anyone tell me where i can find the correct config file that im supposed to change, and what exactly i should be changing it to?

Im running 64bit Win7 ,

Thanks so much for any help provided
AdD1cT

Re: Show Desktop - Argh!

Post by AdD1cT »

Ok ive tried altering all the 'Alwaysontop' values to -1 and the taskbar (HDD, CPU status) seems to stick when i show desktop but nothing else o_O
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

There are certain settings that can't be changed from the .ini file while Rainmeter is running. It will revert your changes back to the original values. Instead, you can either right-click the skins themselves and go to Skin Menu -> Position -> On Desktop or you can choose "Edit Settings" from the menu and once Rainmeter.ini pops up, close Rainmeter completely (right-click -> Exit), then make your changes and save the file.
ImageImageImageImage
AdD1cT

Post by AdD1cT »

Fantastic! Thank you for your concise and fast response :) Such a simple fix !
Vort3x

Post by Vort3x »

I am having the same problem, but I do not know what variable to set in the rainmeter.ini file. Is it the AlwaysOnTop variable?
I did set it to -2 but now the transparency effect of Enigma is not working.It is fully opaque.It also does not seem to stick to the desktop correctly as Win+D
minimizes rainmeter/enigma as well. The only difference I have found is that if I manually minimize ALL windows.It still shows, but then Win+D still minimizes it. Also when I win+D
and it minimized how do I restore it to desktop? Only way I could was either to restart rainmeter OR minimize every window manually and then win+d only affects rainmeter to toggle on and off on the desktop.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Vort3x wrote:I am having the same problem, but I do not know what variable to set in the rainmeter.ini file. Is it the AlwaysOnTop variable?
Right-click on the skin -> Skin Menu -> Position -> On Desktop. Make sure you're running the latest version of Rainmeter, as older versions had problems with On Desktop and Vista/7.