It is currently March 29th, 2024, 11:39 am

[Suggestion] Included weather .ini files/webparser

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Cariboudjan

[Suggestion] Included weather .ini files/webparser

Post by Cariboudjan »

I suggest Rainmeter include multiple .ini files, one containing parent measures, the others containing child measures for specific info, like lunar cycles, 14 day forecast, etc.

This would be to have a default weather source for Rainmeter. Authors can include these ini files in their skins. If the source, apikey, or some other attribute changes, updating the ini files and then pushing a Rainmeter update would filter down to every existing skin, rather than all authors (who let's be honest 99% of authors wouldn't) update and push their own new version each time the weather webparser needs to change.
CyberTheWorm

Re: [Suggestion] Included weather .ini files/webparser

Post by CyberTheWorm »

jsmorley already did that with inc files
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=34734
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I don't think we are going to get into the business of including skin-specific items with the main Rainmeter application, especially items that will likely be needing frequent updating.

This is a skin issue, not a application issue.

If skin authors want to help mitigate this issue in their skins, then I suggest creating an online repository (like on github) that contains the proper api key - then have your skins first download this api key before using it on any weather related webparser measures. Then when the api key changes, you can just upload the new correct key (if there will be one). This way skins should not need any updating...unless other parts of parsing break.

-Brian
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

Brian wrote: January 12th, 2022, 1:01 am I don't think we are going to get into the business of including skin-specific items with the main Rainmeter application, especially items that will likely be needing frequent updating.

This is a skin issue, not a application issue.

If skin authors want to help mitigate this issue in their skins, then I suggest creating an online repository (like on github) that contains the proper api key - then have your skins first download this api key before using it on any weather related webparser measures. Then when the api key changes, you can just upload the new correct key (if there will be one). This way skins should not need any updating...unless other parts of parsing break.

-Brian
Unless there is a more substantial change that a simple api key change won't fix. Like what happened when the RSS feed went down.

Eventually something like that will happen again, and I think it would be a nice bit of security knowing it won't render hundreds of weather skins obsolete overnight.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Cariboudjan wrote: January 12th, 2022, 1:11 am Unless there is a more substantial change that a simple api key change won't fix. Like what happened when the RSS feed went down.

Eventually something like that will happen again, and I think it would be a nice bit of security knowing it won't render hundreds of weather skins obsolete overnight.
This was discussed a lot on the main weather.com thread. I would not expect the Rainmeter devs would ever want to tie Rainmeter to the whims of weather.com, or any other third-party site for that matter. TWC could easily change that API key daily, hourly, whatever. It's a miracle they haven't done so already. They could easily change the site to render everything in javascript like many others do, which would make it not even scrape-able.

To them, we are all thieves who are stealing their IP without paying for it. If you want a skin that's guaranteed to work, buy your own API key. You want an API that's free and has complete weather with sub-hourly resolution on the weather and works world-wide? Oh yeah, that doesn't exist anymore. Apple, Verizon, and IBM made sure of that.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
David8192

Post by David8192 »

While at it, I have this issue:

Code: Select all

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Access Denied</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Access Denied</H1>

You don't have permission to access "http&#58;&#47;&#47;api&#46;weather&#46;com&#47;v3&#47;aggcommon&#47;v3&#45;wx&#45;observations&#45;current&#59;v3&#45;wx&#45;forecast&#45;daily&#45;15day&#59;v3alertsHeadlines&#59;v3&#45;location&#45;point&#63;" on this server.<P>
Reference&#32;&#35;18&#46;c9f3617&#46;1642066377&#46;834ade43
</BODY>
</HTML>
Anyone else experiencing this?
Any way forward?
the DA GALLERY 8-) For some Reason, the square root of X2 does not involve X
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

David8192 wrote: January 13th, 2022, 9:53 am While at it, I have this issue:

Code: Select all

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Access Denied</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Access Denied</H1>

You don't have permission to access "http&#58;&#47;&#47;api&#46;weather&#46;com&#47;v3&#47;aggcommon&#47;v3&#45;wx&#45;observations&#45;current&#59;v3&#45;wx&#45;forecast&#45;daily&#45;15day&#59;v3alertsHeadlines&#59;v3&#45;location&#45;point&#63;" on this server.<P>
Reference&#32;&#35;18&#46;c9f3617&#46;1642066377&#46;834ade43
</BODY>
</HTML>
Anyone else experiencing this?
Any way forward?
I think you will find that if you change the API Key to 21d8a80b3d6b444998a80b3d6b1449d3, it will begin to work again.
David8192

Post by David8192 »

jsmorley wrote: January 13th, 2022, 11:08 am I think you will find that if you change the API Key to 21d8a80b3d6b444998a80b3d6b1449d3, it will begin to work again.
Awesome! Works like charm :D
the DA GALLERY 8-) For some Reason, the square root of X2 does not involve X