It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:54 pm

Lost All Settings

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
MacaroniDuck

Lost All Settings

Post by MacaroniDuck »

I've been using Rainmeter for some time and haven't changed any settings in at least a couple of years. Recently I noticed that the weather module wasn't working. In the "updates section", I saw that a "Sonder" update was available that mentioned a weather fix. First, it required that I update to the latest version of Rainmeter. I did this without issue. Then I installed the Sonder update, which appeared to install properly, but it also completely reset all of my settings to the original "out of the box" ones. (i.e. all of the different modules disappeared and I only have the date and time one in the middle of my screen).

Is this intended behavior? I tried reinstalling and had the same result. I set all of this up so long ago that I'd have to re-learn how to set it all up again and am hoping I can avoid that. I'm hoping there's some save of my settings that I'm just forgetting to turn on? It's definitely distressing that an "update" would wipe out all settings without warning.
MacaroniDuck

Re: Lost All Settings

Post by MacaroniDuck »

As an update, I have gone into "Manage Rainmeter" / Layouts and attempted to load all of the layouts saved there, none of which bring up the savings I had created and I do know that I saved them back when I finished creating them originally. It seems that the "update" wiped out the settings :\
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Navigate to your taskbar
Find there Rainmeter
Click right mouse button
Choose Manage
Open the Layouts tab
In the "Saved layouts" list choose @Backup and click Load

Does this help?
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

MacaroniDuck wrote: January 11th, 2022, 2:45 pm As an update, I have gone into "Manage Rainmeter" / Layouts and attempted to load all of the layouts saved there, none of which bring up the savings I had created and I do know that I saved them back when I finished creating them originally. It seems that the "update" wiped out the settings :\
So, what exactly happens when you load one of the layouts?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The likely scenario is that the skin(s) in question came with a Layout as a part of the distribution. So when you originally installed it, that layout was applied and copied to the Layouts folder. Then over time you have modified the layout, opening other skins, moving things around on the screen, etc. Presumably you saved the Layout after making the changes but saved it to the same name as the original layout.

When you re-installed the .rmskin, the Layout that is included in the distribution was again applied and saved. So yep, you have likely lost all the changes you made.

What I would do is start over making whatever changes you want, and when you are again happy with the result, save a brand-new Layout with a new name.
MacaroniDuck

Post by MacaroniDuck »

Thank you for the feedback so far. A further update. I found that the backup of the layout I had was being restored, just not in the same positions. So all modules were being restored when I applied my saved layout, but not in the same places on my screens. Note the plural as I have 3 monitors. I didn't originally see that it was being restored as the modules were ending up behind other applications.

So, the remaining question: Is there any way to save a layout so that it properly remembers the position of various elements in a multi-screen set up?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

MacaroniDuck wrote: January 11th, 2022, 4:02 pm So, the remaining question: Is there any way to save a layout so that it properly remembers the position of various elements in a multi-screen set up?
Right-click the Rainmeter icon in the notification area, then select Manage, then select the Layouts tab. Give your current layout a name and save it. Done.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
MacaroniDuck

Post by MacaroniDuck »

Yes, that is how I had previously saved the layout and restored it. When restoring, however, it did not load the various modules in the screen locations where they were when I saved. One moved from my left monitor to the main/middle monitor. Another moved from the left monitor to the right monitor. Perhaps something to do with the multi-monitor settings? (i.e. whether they are extended, etc.)
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

MacaroniDuck wrote: January 11th, 2022, 6:44 pm Yes, that is how I had previously saved the layout and restored it. When restoring, however, it did not load the various modules in the screen locations where they were when I saved. One moved from my left monitor to the main/middle monitor. Another moved from the left monitor to the right monitor. Perhaps something to do with the multi-monitor settings? (i.e. whether they are extended, etc.)
I have never had a multi-monitor setup, but perhaps you have to set the desired monitor for each skin via the designated manage/context menu option.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.