It is currently April 25th, 2024, 10:40 am

Finally making account

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
pakwo

Finally making account

Post by pakwo »

Hello folks, I'm pakwo from Indonesia. I've been a rainmeter user since 2008 and never had a problem...until recently, LOL.
Currently trying to troubleshoot because even fresh installing is getting error. Wish me luck folks.
Cheers.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Finally making account

Post by balala »

pakwo wrote: December 17th, 2021, 3:12 am Currently trying to troubleshoot because even fresh installing is getting error. Wish me luck folks.
Hi pakwo,

Welcome aboard. And wish you luck and all the best. But I suppose your problem has been fixed, right? However it is weird to have to run the installer as administrator, but finally if this fixed the issue, I think it's alright.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

balala wrote: December 17th, 2021, 12:46 pm Hi pakwo,

Welcome aboard. And wish you luck and all the best. But I suppose your problem has been fixed, right? However it is weird to have to run the installer as administrator, but finally if this fixed the issue, I think it's alright.
I don't think it is alright because there are couple of concerns:
• Previously this user didn't need to run the installer with admin rights.
• The installer appeared in Arabic. I suppose previously it appeared the way it had to be but this time it was Arabic.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Active Colors wrote: December 17th, 2021, 1:05 pm I don't think it is alright because there are couple of concerns:
• Previously this user didn't need to run the installer with admin rights.
• The installer appeared in Arabic. I suppose previously it appeared the way it had to be but this time it was Arabic.
I said it's alright, because pakwo wrote:
pakwo wrote: December 17th, 2021, 3:08 am --solved--
Dang it, it only need to run my installer as administrator to solve this.
According to Brian's reply this is a not too good solution (or in fact it's a completely not-desirable solution), but I saw his reply after posted mine.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

balala wrote: December 17th, 2021, 4:38 pm According to Brian's reply this is a not too good solution (or in fact it's a completely not-desirable solution), but I saw his reply after posted mine.
I didn't mean for it sound like you shouldn't run the installer as an admin in general. I just wanted that test version to be ran normally to see if the language issue is solved. I edited that post to hopefully make it a little clearer.

The installer will cause a UAC prompt, which elevates the installer to basically give admin rights so it can install to protected folders (like Program Files).

-Brian
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Brian wrote: December 17th, 2021, 4:44 pm I didn't mean for it sound like you shouldn't run the installer as an admin in general. I just wanted that test version to be ran normally to see if the language issue is solved. I edited that post to hopefully make it a little clearer.

The installer will cause a UAC prompt, which elevates the installer to basically give admin rights so it can install to protected folders (like Program Files).

-Brian
Me personally had never such problems, so don't know what to say. But probably there are a lot of system, with lot of different settings, so might appear different problems. But running either the installer or Rainmeter itself as admin, doesn't seem to be a good idea. At least in my opinion.