It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:32 pm

[BUG]?Cannot Install on Top of Running Version

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
David8192

[BUG]?Cannot Install on Top of Running Version

Post by David8192 »

The Rainmeter Update will not install if you do not quit the running version. I have noticed this through the 4.5 version on Windows 7.
Earlier, it would say something like: Cannot uninstall Rainmeter. Close the application to continue
4.5.7 was like: Failed to install Rainmeter. Click Retry to try again or Cancel to abort.

After closing the app, it installs effortlessly.
the DA GALLERY 8-) For some Reason, the square root of X2 does not involve X
Brian
Developer

Re: [BUG]?Cannot Install on Top of Running Version

Post by Brian »

I can't replicate this issue on Windows 7 or 10.

Are you by chance running Rainmeter as an admin? If so, could you try not running it as an admin and see if the update works?

Is there anything else different with your installation from the standard installation?

It may be possible for a skin to "lock" a file that might prevent Rainmeter from closing automatically when the installer is ran.
Could you try unloading all your skins, and then manually restarting Rainmeter to see if the update works?

-Brian
David8192

Post by David8192 »

Brian wrote: December 10th, 2021, 6:01 am I can't replicate this issue on Windows 7 or 10.

Are you by chance running Rainmeter as an admin? If so, could you try not running it as an admin and see if the update works?

Is there anything else different with your installation from the standard installation?

It may be possible for a skin to "lock" a file that might prevent Rainmeter from closing automatically when the installer is ran.
Could you try unloading all your skins, and then manually restarting Rainmeter to see if the update works?

-Brian
  • Yes, I am using an admin account.
  • No. Just the usual.
  • Will do
David8192

Post by David8192 »

Well... Now, I can't replicate it either.
Might have been some third party junk I installed. I ran a little cleanup and the problem is gone.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Never had this problem on my Windows 7 x64 Professional. As you said some other running software mostly probably could be the case. Simply restarting the system could probably solve this issue too, maybe you have been doing to your system so it got in that restart-needed state.
David8192

Post by David8192 »

Active Colors wrote: December 10th, 2021, 10:40 am Never had this problem on my Windows 7 x64 Professional. As you said some other running software mostly probably could be the case. Simply restarting the system could probably solve this issue too, maybe you have been doing to your system so it got in that restart-needed state.
Yeah, this one is not on Rainmeter.