It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:22 pm

Media Player Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Tezz95

Re: Media Player Plugin

Post by Tezz95 »

keifufu wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 6:49 pm WebNowPlaying will soon support local players, as long as they report to Windows (the volume popup in win10 or the media control widget in win11)
Hi, You are one of the developers of the WebNowPlaying Plugin. First of all, many thanks for this awesome plugin.
But I have a problem. Actually, I have some local music files, which I play on Spotify along with online songs. Obviously, WebNowPlaying couldn't find any Music Cover for those local songs.
So my question is, Is there any possibility in future to show the local song's music cover from Windows (the volume popup in win10 or the media control widget in win11)?
keifufu

Post by keifufu »

Tezz95 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 6:37 am Hi, You are one of the developers of the WebNowPlaying Plugin. First of all, many thanks for this awesome plugin.
But I have a problem. Actually, I have some local music files, which I play on Spotify along with online songs. Obviously, WebNowPlaying couldn't find any Music Cover for those local songs.
So my question is, Is there any possibility in future to show the local song's music cover from Windows (the volume popup in win10 or the media control widget in win11)?
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I assume you're currently using Spicetify to make Spotify work with WebNowPlaying, that won't be necessary anymore and WebNowPlaying will be able to show info/covers from the windows popups (given no browser media is currently playing, as it'll prefer those)
Tezz95

Post by Tezz95 »

keifufu wrote: May 6th, 2023, 1:20 pm Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I assume you're currently using Spicetify to make Spotify work with WebNowPlaying, that won't be necessary anymore and WebNowPlaying will be able to show info/covers from the windows popups (given no browser media is currently playing, as it'll prefer those)
Thanks.
Waiting for that update.
keifufu

Post by keifufu »

Tezz95 wrote: May 6th, 2023, 3:02 pm Thanks.
Waiting for that update.
It's out now!
If you run into any issue with it, please open an issue on GitHub ^^

https://github.com/keifufu/WebNowPlaying-Redux-Rainmeter/releases/tag/2.0.0
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

keifufu wrote: May 10th, 2023, 8:18 pm It's out now!
If you run into any issue with it, please open an issue on GitHub ^^

https://github.com/keifufu/WebNowPlaying-Redux-Rainmeter/releases/tag/2.0.0
Does it work with Winamp? :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
keifufu

Post by keifufu »

Yincognito wrote: May 10th, 2023, 9:30 pm Does it work with Winamp? :???:
It gets the information from the Windows API, so it'll work as long as the player has support for that.
A lot of outdated/older players like Winamp have plugins for that, however none of them seem to report the duration, even Tidal doesn't..
Either way, a great example is Spotify. They seem to utilize the API to its fullest, which is pretty nice as we don't have to recommend Spicetify for WNP anymore.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

keifufu wrote: May 11th, 2023, 12:31 am It gets the information from the Windows API, so it'll work as long as the player has support for that.
A lot of outdated/older players like Winamp have plugins for that, however none of them seem to report the duration, even Tidal doesn't..
Either way, a great example is Spotify. They seem to utilize the API to its fullest, which is pretty nice as we don't have to recommend Spicetify for WNP anymore.
I see. Well, I tried the skin you provided with my Winamp 5.8 and it doesn't report anything at all. Not sure what and how it should interact with the Windows API and it's hard to believe that even if older there's no interaction since it fully reports to NowPlaying, but it's too bad. It would have been nice to have a plugin that supports both desktop and web players by default, without having to patch things up or dig after the reason why it doesn't. Guess I'll continue to stick with NowPlaying and let others use the newer players as I don't have any intention to replace a player that has served me for decades on multiple Windows version without any issue whatsoever. Let me know if you find out what exactly has to be done for it to work with the new version of WebNowPlaying though, it would be nice to give it a shot. And thanks for your work on it. :thumbup:
keifufu

Post by keifufu »

Yincognito wrote: May 11th, 2023, 8:23 am I see. Well, I tried the skin you provided with my Winamp 5.8 and it doesn't report anything at all. Not sure what and how it should interact with the Windows API and it's hard to believe that even if older there's no interaction since it fully reports to NowPlaying, but it's too bad. It would have been nice to have a plugin that supports both desktop and web players by default, without having to patch things up or dig after the reason why it doesn't. Guess I'll continue to stick with NowPlaying and let others use the newer players as I don't have any intention to replace a player that has served me for decades on multiple Windows version without any issue whatsoever. Let me know if you find out what exactly has to be done for it to work with the new version of WebNowPlaying though, it would be nice to give it a shot. And thanks for your work on it. :thumbup:
NowPlaying directly communicates with the supported players which means all of them have their own specific implementation in NowPlaying.
The windows API I'm using was introduced in Windows 10 called "Global Media Control".
A good indication of if the app supports it is whether or not it shows up in the win10 volume dialogue, or the win11 control center.
Outdated players like winamp, which don't have official support for this API tend to have community plugins for it.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

keifufu wrote: May 11th, 2023, 2:07 pm NowPlaying directly communicates with the supported players which means all of them have their own specific implementation in NowPlaying.
The windows API I'm using was introduced in Windows 10 called "Global Media Control".
A good indication of if the app supports it is whether or not it shows up in the win10 volume dialogue, or the win11 control center.
Outdated players like winamp, which don't have official support for this API tend to have community plugins for it.
Thanks, that helped - I managed to find not one, but two such plugins ("outdated" as it is, Winamp still works with everything, it seems - something that cannot be said of the so called "modern" players). The first plugin is here, the second one is here. At first I thought they didn't work since I put them in the C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins folder, but once I put them in the Plugins folder from the installation folder, stuff began to show up:
WebNowPlaying 2.0 Winamp.jpg
Had to disable "default multimedia key support" from Options / Preferences / General Preferences / Global Hotkeys in Winamp to avoid taking multimedia keys like play / pause twice (once for Winamp's own system, once for the System Media Transport Controls plugin above), and all I tested bar the position and duration of the track worked. I remember seeing the position / duration issue discussed somewhere, but can't remember where. Any solution to that?

Other than the above little detail, I'm glad it works with Winamp. :great:

P.S. Before testing, I installed the 5.92 version of Winamp released 20 days ago just to be "up to date", but I'm sure it'll work with my older 5.8 beta version too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keifufu

Post by keifufu »

Yincognito wrote: May 11th, 2023, 5:50 pm Thanks, that helped - I managed to find not one, but two such plugins ("outdated" as it is, Winamp still works with everything, it seems - something that cannot be said of the so called "modern" players). The first plugin is here, the second one is here. At first I thought they didn't work since I put them in the C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins folder, but once I put them in the Plugins folder from the installation folder, stuff began to show up:
WebNowPlaying 2.0 Winamp.jpg
Had to disable "default multimedia key support" from Options / Preferences / General Preferences / Global Hotkeys in Winamp to avoid taking multimedia keys like play / pause twice (once for Winamp's own system, once for the System Media Transport Controls plugin above), and all I tested bar the position and duration of the track worked. I remember seeing the position / duration issue discussed somewhere, but can't remember where. Any solution to that?

Other than the above little detail, I'm glad it works with Winamp. :great:

P.S. Before testing, I installed the 5.92 version of Winamp released 20 days ago just to be "up to date", but I'm sure it'll work with my older 5.8 beta version too.
The position/duration issue is unfortunate, can't do anything about it if players/plugins don't provide that info to Windows.
It's the same with events like setposition, Playpause, etc. as they also need to be provided to windows from the player.
At least for events, WNP 2.0 has new measures like "SupportsPlayPause" etc to let skins know if the current player has support for it.