It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:42 am

Expose current zpos of skin though lua

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Expose current zpos of skin though lua

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: November 15th, 2021, 10:57 am Not that I think it's a particularly good idea, but you could use WebParser to just get the entire Rainmeter.ini file with RegExp=(?siU)^(.*)$ and then read the value of the WebParser measure in Lua as you like.
I have a plugin that does it better actually. And I made that to read ini files.
And I made this with that:
Screenshot 2021-11-15 163430.png
jsmorley wrote: November 15th, 2021, 10:57 am We will look at exposing this value as a built-in Variable.
Looking forward to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
from the Realm of Death
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Seems to me that if the goal is to control which skins are on top of other skins at any given time, there might be a logical way to approach this that doesn't require "knowing" what the AlwaysOnTop value is for a given skin.

Set all your skins in a Group, then just set the entire group to Desktop or whatever with the !ZPos bang, then move the desired skin to TopMost or whatever you like.

I guess the point is that while today you can't "know" what setting a config has, you can "control" them individually or in a group.

Keep in mind that even if we do implement #CURRENTCONFIGZ# or some such, that is going to be about "that" skin. There is no way you will ever be able to know (short of reading Rainmeter.ini) what the value is for some "other" skin.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: November 15th, 2021, 11:31 am Seems to me that if the goal is to control which skins are on top of other skins at any given time, there might be a logical way to approach this that doesn't require "knowing" what the AlwaysOnTop value is for a given skin.

Set all your skins in a Group, then just set the entire group to Desktop or whatever with the !ZPos bang, then move the desired skin to TopMost or whatever you like.

I guess the point is that while today you can't "know" what setting a config has, you can "control" them individually or in a group.
Ahh no. I am talking about a add-on skin here, which most of my skins are. I don't have any control over what the parent skin will be, so it would be nice if I could get that skin's zpos, so I can automatically handle resetting the zpos of the parent skin after my work is done.

I am working a InputText that is a rainmeter skin and not another uncontrollable window, currently. So, I kinda need the zpos of caller skin to make it work properly.

I could try to make the change to lua, but I can't do something like this without a proper discussion. And I think built-in variable approach might be more viable.
from the Realm of Death
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

I see now what kind of skin what you are but I don't see the goal you want to achieve because I got confused on the way reading all your replies.
I've just recalled that jsmorley created StealFocus.exe some time ago, so if you need to bring some skin forward you can try using it.
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=15564&start=10#p170843
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

CURRENTCONFIGZPOS has been added as a built-in variable.

You will be able to use GetVariable to get it in Lua.

-Brian
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

Brian wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:27 pm CURRENTCONFIGZPOS has been added as a built-in variable.

You will be able to use GetVariable to get it in Lua.

-Brian
Thank you Brian! Now I can die in piece! :rosegift:
from the Realm of Death