It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:59 am

ImageRotate or rounding error problem?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: ImageRotate or rounding error problem?

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: October 18th, 2021, 7:23 pm As you see now, these days those small differences have started not to matter too much. Even if many are still using older / slower computers, more and more people are switching to new and much better systems. As this happens, the differences become to matter less and less.
And don't apologize. Those discussions are always welcomed. They (may) reveal some hidden mistakes, inadvertences, issues (and so on).
I don't want to go off topic here, but that was my whole point then: those small differences DO matter, because they add up to other "small differences" in other similarly (read poorly) designed skins or even software (luckily, Rainmeter is very well designed in terms of performance, bar some unavoidable things mainly related to a fast update rate). Having the computing power to afford higher resource usage should never be an excuse to design stuff (skins, in this case) that handle this poorly. Just because it's tolerable on an individual level, it doesn't mean that bad practices in this area should become the norm. When I see such a skin or software, I instantly think of [insert software product taking dozens of GB and running like a turtle because of higher resolution images or other such bloatware] and the throw up instinct kicks in.

Sadly, there are lots of such examples nowadays on the market and people get charmed by the "modern" look and feel, and this is detrimental because you'll never get to run things as fast as they "could" run since having better devices is largely canceled by having more resource hungry programs. Simple example, from a couple of days back: on my 8 GB RAM new machine, when (automatically, through scripting) building up the large image related to the animation in this thread for use in a Bitmap meter, the "modern" Photoshop 2019 couldn't get past frame 260 out of 360 because it ran out of memory, while the "oh, don't use it cause it's not modern" Photoshop CS6 looked like it could do another 360 frames after completing the 360 ones without any issues. Needless to say which version I instantly uninstalled after seeing that... :???:
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

Yincognito wrote: October 18th, 2021, 8:48 pm Sadly, there are lots of such examples nowadays on the market and people get charmed by the "modern" look and feel, and this is detrimental because you'll never get to run things as fast as they "could" run since having better devices is largely canceled by having more resource hungry programs. Simple example, from a couple of days back: on my 8 GB RAM new machine, when (automatically, through scripting) building up the large image related to the animation in this thread for use in a Bitmap meter, the "modern" Photoshop 2019 couldn't get past frame 260 out of 360 because it ran out of memory, while the "oh, don't use it cause it's not modern" Photoshop CS6 looked like it could do another 360 frames after completing the 360 ones without any issues. Needless to say which version I instantly uninstalled after seeing that... :???:
Performance and quality matters too, which may not be too obvious in your case. But Photoshop 2019, or any newer software are designed to perform better, so they couldn't care less about resource usage. Also, 16 gb is a minimum requirement now, for nice games and stuff
, which I can't play :-(
But that apart, I think if you change how you render the image, may be you can bring down the resource usage. Don't know for sure cause haven't used PS much,
:twisted: Only pirated
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: October 18th, 2021, 8:48 pm I don't want to go off topic here, but that was my whole point then: those small differences DO matter, because they add up to other "small differences" in other similarly (read poorly) designed skins or even software (luckily, Rainmeter is very well designed in terms of performance, bar some unavoidable things mainly related to a fast update rate). Having the computing power to afford higher resource usage should never be an excuse to design stuff (skins, in this case) that handle this poorly. Just because it's tolerable on an individual level, it doesn't mean that bad practices in this area should become the norm. When I see such a skin or software, I instantly think of [insert software product taking dozens of GB and running like a turtle because of higher resolution images or other such bloatware] and the throw up instinct kicks in.

Sadly, there are lots of such examples nowadays on the market and people get charmed by the "modern" look and feel, and this is detrimental because you'll never get to run things as fast as they "could" run since having better devices is largely canceled by having more resource hungry programs. Simple example, from a couple of days back: on my 8 GB RAM new machine, when (automatically, through scripting) building up the large image related to the animation in this thread for use in a Bitmap meter, the "modern" Photoshop 2019 couldn't get past frame 260 out of 360 because it ran out of memory, while the "oh, don't use it cause it's not modern" Photoshop CS6 looked like it could do another 360 frames after completing the 360 ones without any issues. Needless to say which version I instantly uninstalled after seeing that... :???:
I don't talk about "general" software (like Photoshop or whatever), but about Rainmeter skins. Excepting a few cases, those skins don't load too heavily a today's computer, I think. They definitely can load an older system, but I doubt a somehow modern (let's say decent) system can be loaded too hard by skins. Software is another story...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

death.crafter wrote: October 19th, 2021, 5:28 am Performance and quality matters too, which may not be too obvious in your case. But Photoshop 2019, or any newer software are designed to perform better, so they couldn't care less about resource usage. Also, 16 gb is a minimum requirement now, for nice games and stuff.

But that apart, I think if you change how you render the image, may be you can bring down the resource usage. Don't know for sure cause haven't used PS much
Precisely - they don't care. Thing is, PS 2019 doesn't perform better, it performs the same (or worse, like the resource usage part, which is an integral part of "performing better" last time I checked) as CS6 - they even largely have the same set of features. Everything else is just bloatware for a nicer look at the expense of countless bugs (I posted a bug report on their site a month ago that never got answered, LOL) and higher resource usage. If one version of a program can do what another version of the same program can, I call that a regress. But then, maybe it's called differently in other dictionaries, who knows? :lol:

By the way, everything, from the method used to the memory available to both PS version in my incidental "test" was precisely the same. The old version did it with fyling colors, the newer (and supposedly, "better" and "more updated") one failed miserably.
balala wrote: October 19th, 2021, 4:03 pmI don't talk about "general" software (like Photoshop or whatever), but about Rainmeter skins. Excepting a few cases, those skins don't load too heavily a today's computer, I think. They definitely can load an older system, but I doubt a somehow modern (let's say decent) system can be loaded too hard by skins. Software is another story...
I was just using the general software as an example / argument for the case of similarly poorly designed skins that take two or three times as much resources as they should have, that's all (I could have come up with skin examples, but obviously I quickly forgot their names after deleting them, and it's not my style to bash fellow skin designers for that). The fact that a single such poorly constructed skin takes just a fraction of what a similarly poorly constructed software does is irrelevant, because when you load 10 of such skins you'll certainly notice that something is very wrong. Again, having more resources at one's disposal is not an excuse to build skins that are not performance efficient - I don't know how else to put this so it is properly understood, really. :confused: