It is currently April 18th, 2024, 12:57 pm

Rainmeter is REALLY slow - ESET Smart Security

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Illidan

Rainmeter is REALLY slow - ESET Smart Security

Post by Illidan »

Hi,

I installed last day Rainmeter on my Windows 7 Pro x64.

I have ESET Smart Security (like NOD32 but with Firewall and so) and I did the exceptions for Rainmeter folders.

The problem is, it was still slowly. I start Rainmeter and I have to wait one minute until the theme and gadgets come.
If i right click on something or move some gadget it stucks...

What is the problem here? I searched already the forum but I didn't find something what can help me.

Now, i deinstalled it because I'm really angry about it. But I want to know why it was so slowly, maybe I try it then again too :).
maminscris

Re: Rainmeter is REALLY slow - ESET Smart Security

Post by maminscris »

add all rainmeter folders to eset exceptions see here

rainmeter folders
Default File Locations
The Program:
Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter
Windows Vista & Win7: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter

Your "Skin" files
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
Windows Vista & Win7: C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins

Rainmeter.ini and your "Themes"
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\Application Data\Rainmeter
Windows Vista & Win7: C:\Users\YourName\Appdata\Roaming\Rainmeter
from the manual

and :welcome:
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
Illidan

Post by Illidan »

I did this but it didnt help :S!

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to add that I have activated UAC on Windows 7. Is there any problem with it maybe?
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Does Smart Security have additional places where you might need to add exceptions? I would assume it would. I can't tell you where they might be, maybe ESET Support could help.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

What testing makes you think this has anything to do with ESET NOD32? Have you been able to run it without the antivirus running and then it is fast?
Illidan

Post by Illidan »

Smart Security has Exceptions for Firewall. I choosed Rainmeter.exe but it doesn't help.

I'm thinking that ESET is fault, because I saw in this forum many topics where people mean that ESET makes this problem.
But all guys helped out as they created exceptions. Maybe there is another fault on my Computer....

What I see now that Rainmeter has a high CPU usage. 10-50%. Thats not normally, isn't it?
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

No, that is not normal. Unless you are running some really complex skins or have some ridiculously fast updates Rainmeter should usually run at 0-5% with 5% being unusual. I would start disabling each of your security apps one at a time and restarting Rainmeter after each, to try to narrow down your target.

Also, you may want to empty your recycle bin, if you are using a skin that uses the bin plugin, huge numbers of files in the bin will cause a nasty spike in Rainmeter's cpu usage everytime it checks the bin.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

No, that is certainly not normal, but I see nothing in your postings that points to ESET as the problem. More likely it is one of the enigma skins that is hating something in your hardware or drivers. You can find it, but you have to take an organized approach to searching.

1) Install the latest Rainmeter 1.2 beta from http://rainmeter.net

2) Use RainThemes from the start menu, check the boxes "Save as an empty theme" and "Removed unused skins from theme" Enter a name for the new theme like "Blank Theme". Click "Save".

3) Load "Blank Theme". Now you should have Rainmeter running but no skins. Still using a lot of CPU? I'll bet not.

4) Open RainBrowser from the start menu, and using "Browse", go to Enigma and start loading the skins you want. Keep an eye on the CPU between each load. At some point it's going to jump up. That is the skin causing the issue.

My bet... either network (you have an old NIC driver) or network -Wifi. I have seen others having performance problems with the WiFi plugin skin.
Illidan

Post by Illidan »

I removed Rainmeter 1.1 and other folders in Documents and Appdata. Now i installed Rainmeter 1.2 and did the things you said, but it didnt help. If I load my blank theme, I'll get Enigma them again. I checked both boxes you said. CPU Usage is still at 50-90%...

I think that program won't work on my PC hehe :)!

But in my virtual machine it works well. Maybe I'll install there ESET Smart Security again and look if its ESET or not. If its not then I have some other problems with my system (like you said NIC or so...how can I check this maybe? My notebook has W-Lan but it's deactivated and I use PPPoE internet connection.).

But thanks for all these help! :)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't think it is ESET. I am more suspicious of the WiFi skin. Try unloading all network skins and see if the issue goes away.