It is currently April 19th, 2024, 3:54 am

Opinion of Easy-ness of Code Read-abiliy

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
poiru
Developer

Re: Opinion of Easy-ness of Code Read-abiliy

Post by poiru »

JpsCrazy wrote:If you were JUST changing the Variables, would it be easy to change the measures to what you want?
Why shouldn't you just change the stuff under [MeasureX]? I get what you're after, but the variables are scattered around the Variables file, and that alone makes it a lot more complicated. If they were under [MeasureX], you could just add/remove/edit them all in one place.

Also, becuase there tons of Measures, this isn't really a fool-proof solution. The Variables file doesn't cover all entries (e.g. MaxValue) and it would be stupid to change stuff in two places (both in the Variables file and in the skin file itself) just to add/remove/edit entries of a measure.
Last edited by poiru on May 2nd, 2010, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

JpsCrazy wrote:If you were JUST changing the Variables, would it be easy to change the measures to what you want?

The actual code for the config is never intended to be looked at by the user, just the variables.inc
In fact, added ;--EDIT THE MEASURES IN VARIABLES.inc------------------ above every measure's section.
Trouble is, users WILL want to edit the skins. They are going to want to add stuff, remove stuff etc. It's kind of the point of Rainmeter. A suite / skin that tries to be a "widget" like a Windows Sidebar Gadget is fine as far as it goes, but not really "Make your desktop your own" is it?

Just my two cents. There is a natural tension between user friendly and customizable that has no one-size-fits-all solution. Trying to find the balance is half the fun.
JpsCrazy

Post by JpsCrazy »

That was the original question of the post actually. Ahaa.
Grouped variables by type, or grouped by measure then options for it?
JSMorley preferred it grouped by type (I think?), and you prefer it by measure then options.
So 1v1. Whichever has more by the time I fully complete the skin it's getting changed to.
I may just include variables.inc and variables2.inc, one being one way, one the other, but the same info.
I have a small ReadMe, and I'll include that in there.

I have EVERY option in the Variables.inc that I thought could be used.
Every meter is a bar, so I didn't think MaxValue/MinValue and such would be needed.
If it is, I can easily include it. The only one that's as is in every measure is PowerState=Percent.
Sure it gets bulky and excessive.. but it's my time wasted, and I'm sure it won't be too hard on the users.

If I'm missing anything that can be used with a meter=bar or have something than can't, just let me know.
I haven't gotten around to testing everything yet.
jsmorley wrote: Trouble is, users WILL want to edit the skins. They are going to want to add stuff, remove stuff etc. It's kind of the point of Rainmeter. A suite / skin that tries to be a "widget" like a Windows Sidebar Gadget is fine as far as it goes, but not really "Make your desktop your own" is it?
That's very true, and I considered it.
I just had a problem with a previous skin someone made, and I pretty much had to recreate the whole thing to get half what I wanted. I'm considering just completly scrapping it, stealing a few things, and make it pretty much by myself for myself. (Not publishing it as my own, of course.)
I was just hoping this was a happy ending for that kind of situation.

And my skin is very unique. xD A Zelda themed system monitor. There's not much you can do besides changing the measures. Thought - might as well have it all together. Plus, I'm making more sizes of it, because some people's resolutions were too high for the original. That way, all 3 skins all use the same variables.

I might just release a inexperienced user version, with the two types of variables.inc, alongside the do it yourself version. It should still be under 0.5mb, including the photoshop files I can easily take out and make availible elsewhere.

Yes. I make things way more complicated than it should be.