It is currently October 26th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Help editing a skin.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Ervum

Help editing a skin.

Post by Ervum »

I was looking for 'how to configure a weather skin', and when watching the tutorial by the user eclectic-tech, I figured it out, but trying to edit the file variables of the skin eclectic-tech made, I realized that because of this character-separation (like h e l l o), every time I edit the file, it gives me error. Anybody knows how to edit it correctly?

Edit: Never mind, it's just that I was editing the file in Atom, when I opened it in VS it worked, but idk why, because Atom doesn't separate-like-that the characters in other type of files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Should I say that I like whales and cats?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Help editing a skin.

Post by SilverAzide »

Ervum wrote: September 25th, 2021, 6:18 pm I was looking for 'how to configure a weather skin', and when watching the tutorial by the user eclectic-tech, I figured it out, but trying to edit the file variables of the skin eclectic-tech made, I realized that because of this character-separation (like h e l l o), every time I edit the file, it gives me error. Anybody knows how to edit it correctly?

Edit: Never mind, it's just that I was editing the file in Atom, when I opened it in VS it worked, but idk why, because Atom doesn't separate-like-that the characters in other type of files.
It looks like your editor misidentified the file type encoding. The status bar shows it thinks the file is "UTF-8", when it is actually "UTF-16 LE BOM" (Unicode). That's the reason for the extra "spaces" (they are not actually spaces, BTW).
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Ervum wrote: September 25th, 2021, 6:18 pm I was looking for 'how to configure a weather skin', and when watching the tutorial by the user eclectic-tech, I figured it out, but trying to edit the file variables of the skin eclectic-tech made, I realized that because of this character-separation (like h e l l o), every time I edit the file, it gives me error. Anybody knows how to edit it correctly?

Ckeck out this thread https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22856
Ervum

Post by Ervum »

SilverAzide wrote: September 25th, 2021, 8:23 pm It looks like your editor misidentified the file type encoding. The status bar shows it thinks the file is "UTF-8", when it is actually "UTF-16 LE BOM" (Unicode). That's the reason for the extra "spaces" (they are not actually spaces, BTW).
When I tried editing other Skin using Atom, it doesn't show the "spaces", so I don't think it can be that it misidentified the encoding-type; it's weird because I don't remember having this issue with skins that aren't made by eclectic-tech: maybe is his doing? (lol)

Edit: Just read Active Colors thread, so it seems like it, I'll be more careful from now on, anyways, after this I was using VS for editing some skins. I know how to code in Java, Javascript, C++, C# and barely HTML and LUA, when I started to edit skins to my own sake I didn't know anything about this language, but I'm learning it by editing skins so maybe I'll make some skins later...?
Should I say that I like whales and cats?