It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:40 pm

After start/restart notebook Rainmeter create Updates folder in recycle bin - Auto update not working - W7

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
SGvagon

Re: After start/restart notebook Rainmeter create Updates folder in recycle bin

Post by SGvagon »

Yes, there are the installers. So the Rainmeter still creating/deleting Updates folder in recycle bin, because there is not any installer?
Rainmeter_installers.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Developer

Re: After start/restart notebook Rainmeter create Updates folder in recycle bin - Auto update not working - W7

Post by Brian »

I think I found the problem.

Could you guys try this pre-release version?
https://builds.rainmeter.net/test_builds/Rainmeter-4.5.2.3547-prerelease.exe

Note: After installing this test version, it *should* download the current release (4.5.3). However, the auto updating in the current release version is still broken for Windows 7 users. Once we get some feedback from you, and we release a new version with the fix, this issue should be behind us - but, you will still have to manually install the next release.

Thanks for all your testing!

-Brian
SGvagon

Re: After start/restart notebook Rainmeter create Updates folder in recycle bin - Auto update not working - W7

Post by SGvagon »

Brian : Yes, new version was downloaded to Updates folder now and nothing was moved to the recycle bin :-) . Only thing, what still missing, is Install new version in right click context menu https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/img/installing-rainmeter/AutoUpdate02.png .
Rainmeter_update.png
EDIT: And after restart laptop Rainmeter showed UAC table with install the latest version. So I have now the latest Rainmeter again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

SGvagon wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:51 am Only thing, what still missing, is Install new version in right click context menu
Seems to work on my Windows 7 test machine.
ContextMenu.png
It only shows on the context menu for the tray icon. And it will only show if a new version has been downloaded, but before the new version is installed.

-Brian
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Brian wrote: September 27th, 2021, 8:49 pm I think I found the problem.

Could you guys try this pre-release version?
https://builds.rainmeter.net/test_builds/Rainmeter-4.5.2.3547-prerelease.exe

Note: After installing this test version, it *should* download the current release (4.5.3). However, the auto updating in the current release version is still broken for Windows 7 users. Once we get some feedback from you, and we release a new version with the fix, this issue should be behind us - but, you will still have to manually install the next release.

Thanks for all your testing!

-Brian
It works flawlessly! Got the bubble notification and the label in the context menu. I tried clicking on them both (I had to install the prerelease again to test it the second time) and both of them worked perfectly. Updates folder is where it is supposed to be with the installer inside. The update was super instant and silent. Good work!
SGvagon

Post by SGvagon »

Brian wrote: September 28th, 2021, 4:31 am Seems to work on my Windows 7 test machine.
ContextMenu.png

It only shows on the context menu for the tray icon. And it will only show if a new version has been downloaded, but before the new version is installed.

-Brian
Maybe it's my fault, because I have hide Rainmeter icon in tray. I right clicking on my widgets, and there is no New version text. And maybe that's a reason why I didn't saw any bubble notification about new version.
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

It seems that Rainmeter stopped checking for the updates on Windows 7 on 4.5.5.
I got neither a notification nor the context menu item to install the recent 4.5.6.3573 update.

If I downgrade to 4.5.4 where the update issue was fixed it shows that there is a new 4.5.6 version and Rainmeter successfully updates itself if I choose to update..
If I install 4.5.5. the update option+notification are not appearing.

No Updates folder in the trash bin though, so it is not related to the previous issue. But I didn't want to create another topic for an outdated OS.

:(
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I have no idea what happened, but it seems to work for me.

Rainmeter-4.5.5-Update.Notification.png

-Brian
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Brian wrote: December 1st, 2021, 5:39 pm I have no idea what happened, but it seems to work for me.

Rainmeter-4.5.5-Update.Notification.png

-Brian
Looks like the issue is gone by some reason but only partially. Maybe it is due to that I have created another profile (with admin privileges) on my system for study purposes.

I started to get the notifications that new Rainmeter versions are out on different Rainmeter versions. Though I had to re-toggle the update checking option in the Manage windows once.
However, I am getting only the notifications that the new versions are out and... I am getting this error:

Code: Select all

Error	11:25:32.350	>>New installer download failed (res=0x800C0008, COM=0x00000000): https://github.com/rainmeter/rainmeter/releases/download/v4.5.7.3581/Rainmeter-4.5.7.exe
Notice 	11:25:32.180	* New Rainmeter version available!
This error appears on previous versions too, even on that 4.5.4 version that used to be the stable version regarding this issue (for me).
I will check on my other profile if 4.5.4 version downloads the newest 4.5.7 version.

////////////////////////////////

UPDATE: The issue is completely gone on my main profile. Rainmeter 4.5.6 checks, downloads, and installs the new update. Looks that re-toggling the update checking option in the Manage window worked.