It is currently April 20th, 2024, 1:53 am

Adjust Mic Volume Level?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Adjust Mic Volume Level?

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing how one would implement this using Win7Audio for "input" devices. How one would get the right "index" number. I'm not sure Win7Audio can be set to control "input / capture" devices. I could be wrong.

I do think nircmd.exe could play a role in this, seems to be the "go-to" utility when you search on the web. If some external process is going to be required, I'd lean toward the Powershell appraoch though. I'm not in love with having to include a .dll cmdlet file, but having to include nircmd.exe is not optimal either. I also think the PowershellRM plugin is going to be a ton more efficient than a boatload of calls to RunCommand and nircmd.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

jsmorley wrote: August 13th, 2021, 1:30 pm Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing how one would implement this using Win7Audio for "input" devices. How one would get the right "index" number. I'm not sure Win7Audio can be set to control "input / capture" devices. I could be wrong.

I do think nircmd.exe could play a role in this, seems to be the "go-to" utility when you search on the web. If some external process is going to be required, I'd lean toward the Powershell appraoch. I'm not in love with having to include a .dll cmdlet file, but having to include nircmd.exe is not optimal either.
Actually, if it's for personal use you can just, Install-Module AudioDeviceCmdlets and use as is. Also if you want to, you can use RunCommand. But I didn't want to open a powershell instance for each time I want to change it or get the value(since it can be changed by other means).
from the Realm of Death
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 13th, 2021, 1:30 pmYeah, I'd be interested in seeing how one would implement this using Win7Audio for "input" devices. How one would get the right "index" number. I'm not sure Win7Audio can be set to control "input / capture" devices. I could be wrong.
You're both right, my bad, forgot the mic is an input device, not an output one. Win7Audio can only handle output ones - that one I knew, just didn't make the connection with the mic being the opposite. :oops:

As a side note, too bad the Win7Audio and AudioLevel aren't more "compatible" with each other, e.g. an index or device ID that you use with one of them to be able to be used with the other as well.
death.crafter wrote: August 13th, 2021, 1:27 pmAnd about nircmd, how would you get the volume?
jsmorley wrote: August 13th, 2021, 1:30 pmI do think nircmd.exe could play a role in this, seems to be the "go-to" utility when you search on the web. If some external process is going to be required, I'd lean toward the Powershell appraoch though. I'm not in love with having to include a .dll cmdlet file, but having to include nircmd.exe is not optimal either. I also think the PowershellRM plugin is going to be a ton more efficient than a boatload of calls to RunCommand and nircmd.
SoundVolumeView & GetNir
And yes, it's easier and much more feasible with PowerShell, in this case. I just mentioned it as an alternative. ;-)
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: August 13th, 2021, 5:17 pm You're both right, my bad, forgot the mic is an input device, not an output one. Win7Audio can only handle output ones - that one I knew, just didn't make the connection with the mic being the opposite. :oops:

As a side note, too bad the Win7Audio and AudioLevel aren't more "compatible" with each other, e.g. an index or device ID that you use with one of them to be able to be used with the other as well.

SoundVolumeView & GetNir
And yes, it's easier and much more feasible with PowerShell, in this case. I just mentioned it as an alternative. ;-)
Yeah, I'm working on an example that let's you use "sliders" and "mute" buttons, to control both ouput (speakers) and input (microphone). I'd sorta like to have this for my own purposes, so it's worth the bit of effort to cobble this together.

So it will use NightHawkSLO's Mouse plugin, and the Powershell cmdlet that has been referenced. I'll post it here when I'm done.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 13th, 2021, 5:24 pm Yeah, I'm working on an example that let's you use "sliders" and "mute" buttons, to control both ouput (speakers) and input (microphone). I'd sorta like to have this for my own purposes, so it's worth the bit of effort to cobble this together.

So it will use NightHawkSLO's Mouse plugin, and the Powershell cmdlet that has been referenced. I'll post it here when I'm done.
Excellent - everybody would like that, not just you. :thumbup:
If only such a thing could be extended to every audio device on one's system while trying to avoid that plugin error, I believe something like this could be posted in a more visible place on the forum. In that case, I would be interested in it as well (my thing with flexibility and all that). :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: August 13th, 2021, 5:52 pm Excellent - everybody would like that, not just you. :thumbup:
If only such a thing could be extended to every audio device on one's system while trying to avoid that plugin error, I believe something like this could be posted in a more visible place on the forum. In that case, I would be interested in it as well (my thing with flexibility and all that). :???:
Yeah, my skin will just address the current default input and output devices. You can easily use Windows setting to change those.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

jsmorley wrote: August 13th, 2021, 5:24 pm Yeah, I'm working on an example that let's you use "sliders" and "mute" buttons, to control both ouput (speakers) and input (microphone). I'd sorta like to have this for my own purposes, so it's worth the bit of effort to cobble this together.

So, you're working on a skin to set sound and mic volume? Is it likely to be any better/different than the code given by death.crafter?
- MuLab -
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sl23 wrote: August 13th, 2021, 7:49 pm So, you're working on a skin to set sound and mic volume? Is it likely to be any better/different than the code given by death.crafter?
Perhaps a bit more complete. It will allow dragging an indicator of the current volume to set it, and buttons to toggle mute on and off.

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Looks good :)
Any chance scrolling can work to adjust the mouse volume so I can use a Roundline Bar with it?
- MuLab -
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Well while waiting, I tried to get death.crafter's code working in my skin. But simply adding 3 Sections and 2 Variables seems to be a problem as nothing is displayed?! :confused:

EDIT: I found the cause. It seems the Container=MeterContainer option isn't required. :D
Last edited by sl23 on August 13th, 2021, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- MuLab -