It is currently May 4th, 2024, 11:51 am

Power Plugin causes rainmeter to crash.

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
negimox

Re: Power Plugin causes rainmeter to crash.

Post by negimox »

yep it only changes the visuals. Guess we will have to wait for someone else to also try this then.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: July 12th, 2021, 6:35 pm It's the battery icon from the top bar skin (i.e. C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Droptop\DropdownBar\DropdownBar.ini).
This is a completely different kind of information. Thanks. Now I see what crashed Rainmeter. It definitely doesn't for me, but I'm on a laptop as well.
Just an additional thing. The place of Skins folder is not absolutely necessary the C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder. Better would be to say it's Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, because the Documents folder doesn't reside necessary on C:\Users\[User]. Mine for instance is located on D:\Documents. This is not addressed to you, it's better a thing which should be taken into account by the guys who are editing / maintaining the help.

Note: I tried to remove the battery and use the computer plugged in. the only problem I found was that the battery level is shown as 100%, but Rainmeter doesn't crash if I click the battery icon.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: July 12th, 2021, 6:54 pm and that PC doesn't have a battery (like the case for most if not all of them),
Definitely not all. Back-UPS are working a battery if they are connected via USB to the desktop computer and the proper piece of software is installed.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:20 pmThe place of Skins folder is not absolutely necessary the C:\Users\[User]\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins folder. Better would be to say it's Documents\Rainmeter\Skins, because the Documents folder doesn't reside necessary on C:\Users\[User]. Mine for instance is located on D:\Documents. This is not addressed to you, it's better a thing which should be taken into account by the guys who are editing / maintaining the help.
Absolutely correct. :thumbup: I used to have the Documents folder on a different drive as well, in the past, so it would be "safe" in case of a backup / restore scenario. I just mentioned it this way as it's the standard place where user documents are located.

That being said, while I fully agree with what you said regarding a more general way to refer to the folder, using just Documents\Rainmeter\Skins could be confusing for newbies, since they could have a similar folder but with no functional connection to Rainmeter somewhere else. It's a bit of a dilemma this one, but then, someone smart and experienced enough to know how to safely move the Documents folder to a different drive would have no trouble making the necessary connection and understand what is being mentioned, as you just proved. ;-)
balala wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:24 pmDefinitely not all. Back-UPS are working a battery if they are connected via USB to the desktop computer and the proper piece of software is installed.
True that.
negimox wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:06 pmGuess we will have to wait for someone else to also try this then.
Well, I unless death.crafter is on PC, we have no way of confirming it doesn't crash there. I have a suggestion though, just to eliminate some things from the culprit list: can you try, for example, my suite here (which also has a battery skin using more or less the same type of measures and plugin) and see if it crashes Rainmeter? You can delete it afterwards, if you want, or use another suite/skin to test this out, but it would help narrowing down the issue: if my Battery skin doesn't crash on your system (hover on the skin's white "BATT" text to show additional info), then the plugin is definitely not the issue.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Post by death.crafter »

Yincognito wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:49 pm Well, I unless death.crafter is on PC, we have no way of confirming it doesn't crash there.
Balala just confirmed it. Laptop is indeed a desktop with a battery. So if you remove the battery, it will behave like one.
from the Realm of Death
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

death.crafter wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:56 pm Balala just confirmed it. Laptop is indeed a desktop with a battery. So if you remove the battery, it will behave like one.
If you say so... :???:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

death.crafter wrote: July 12th, 2021, 7:56 pm So if you remove the battery, it will behave like one.
In fact if the battery is removed, the Power Plugin measure having a PowerState=PERCENT option returns 100(%). So another plugin measure having a PowerState=STATUS option should be used in order to check the status and show something based on the result of this last measure (for instance hide the battery level when there is no battery).
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

This is a simple battery skin - i used it with my PC power backup battery. I worked fine until I got tired of the loud battery, then did not need4 it anymore.

Please try it, since it works and you can modify it much easier than the monsterous suit with lua flinging all over the place.
(lua is cool but i dont understand it very well so my bias is to avoid until i learn it better).
Simple Battery_1.1.rmskin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.