It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:34 pm

Skin too large for my desktop

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
Cointoss Studios

Skin too large for my desktop

Post by Cointoss Studios »

I recently installed a skin that looks very nice with my setup. However, it is too big for my desktop. Is there any way to resize it?

https://www.deviantart.com/brax64/art/Gruvy-Rainmeter-skin-Version-1-81-823640254
Last edited by Cointoss Studios on May 23rd, 2021, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
death.crafter
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Skin too large for my desktop

Post by death.crafter »

Cointoss Studios wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 6:59 am I recently installed a skin that looks very nice with my setup. However, it is too big for my desktop. Is there any way to resize it?

[https://www.deviantart.com/brax64/art/Gruvy-Rainmeter-skin-Version-1-81-823640254][/https://www.deviantart.com/brax64/art/Gruvy-Rainmeter-skin-Version-1-81-823640254]
Unless you plan to change every meter manually, no!
from the Realm of Death
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Cointoss Studios wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 6:59 am I recently installed a skin that looks very nice with my setup. However, it is too big for my desktop. Is there any way to resize it?
Don't know, none skin of the linked package doesn't look too large. What do you mean by "it is too big for my desktop", because I can't imagine how those skins might be too big? What's the resolution of your screen?
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

If it is just the background image - resize it to "fit" in the desktop context menu "Personalize".
ƈǟռ'ȶ ʄɨӼ ɨȶ ɨʄ ɨȶ ǟɨռ'ȶ ɮʀօӄɛ - ʊռʟɛֆֆ ɨȶ ɨֆ ɨռ ƈօɖɛ.
TRSxKryPtoN

Post by TRSxKryPtoN »

I installed a skin that looks very nice with my setup but is too big for my desktop. Is there any way to resize it? Please help me with this!
I have also attached a screenshot of my desktop!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Skins are from Gruvy Suite: https://www.deviantart.com/brax64/art/Gruvy-Rainmeter-skin-Version-1-81-823640254

I do not use these skins, so to make them smaller you should probably ask the author at the link above.
If you cannot resize them, you may just need to drag them to other areas of your desktop, so they are not below your screen...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Generally, if not provided by the skin author, properly resizing (aka "scaling") most skins is a simple, but quite tedious process, since you'd have to:
- add a Scale variable to the [Variables] section of the skin, and set it to some factor (1 being the original size factor)
- manually (or automatically, via Notepad++ regular expression Replace, for simpler cases and power users) multiply any coordinate related value, variable or formula in the code with the above #Scale#, enclosing such products between round brackets to alert Rainmeter that they are formulas
- optionally, if dynamic scaling by modifying the value of the Scale variable in a meter's mouse action like scrolling is desired, add a DynamicVariables=1 line to every section (measure or meter) where #Scale# is used

Unfortunately, Rainmeter doesn't (yet?) provide general skin or meter scaling as that would probably complicate its code internally, so this has to be done by either the skin author (preferably) or the user (otherwise). Obviously, if done by the author from the start (i.e. at the time of writing the skin), it's way easier, because afterwards in involves editing lots of such coordinate related values.

There are other ways of scaling like using TransformationMatrix on each meter, but those are usually more complex and have some drawbacks when it comes to mouse actions.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Just curious.

Can you manage your screen resolution?

What I mean is there a possibility that you can increase the resolution through windows Personalization options?.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

CodeCode wrote: February 27th, 2024, 7:09 am Just curious.

Can you manage your screen resolution?

What I mean is there a possibility that you can increase the resolution through windows Personalization options?.
AFAIK, Windows' Personalization options deal mostly with the wallpaper and such, not necessarily with screen resolution (and the wallpaper size doesn't determine resolution, it's the other way around, if set to "Strech to fit"), so the answer is most likely no. As for changing resolution via Rainmeter, not yet sure, but here I suspect the OP is already using the maximum possible resolution supported by his screen (who doesn't?), so in such a case you couldn't increase the resolution anyway, even if you had the means to do it.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
CodeCode

Post by CodeCode »

Yincognito wrote: February 27th, 2024, 8:43 am AFAIK, Windows' Personalization options deal mostly with the wallpaper and such, not necessarily with screen resolution (and the wallpaper size doesn't determine resolution, it's the other way around, if set to "Strech to fit"), so the answer is most likely no. As for changing resolution via Rainmeter, not yet sure, but here I suspect the OP is already using the maximum possible resolution supported by his screen (who doesn't?), so in such a case you couldn't increase the resolution anyway, even if you had the means to do it.
I was just taking a poke a the possibility. It is a common thing. Some Windows do not se the maximum resolution by default. So maybe that could be changed? That was what I was aiming at. no dice then no prob. Just adjust every X and Y in the skin will be the only way.