It is currently April 25th, 2024, 4:35 am

Google calendar

General topics related to Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Google calendar

Post by jsmorley »

Has a "lite" version that is free, but if you want the advanced features like syncing with GCal and such, true.
frankm1977

Post by frankm1977 »

I already have rainlendar, but the thing that i like with google calendar is that i can ad things on it with another computer and have acces at it anywhere . What is was looking for is something that can display me thoses things that i have on my today calendar and display it on my desktop without display my calendar on the internet. I already search on deviantart but no one was working properly, and cant figure out how to make it work.

Thanks
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

SSH to your computer, write in a file, have that file displayed on the right day.
You'd have to make a file for every day that you want something to be displayed.

But say that you have a skin that reads the day like "20100419". Have the webparser parse a file named after the days date and have it displayed on the desk. Should be easy enough. And if you want to add something to your calander (I don't know how to make one that displays for the future just yet), you just SSH to your computer and add it.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

Chewtoy wrote:SSH to your computer, write in a file, have that file displayed on the right day.
You'd have to make a file for every day that you want something to be displayed.

But say that you have a skin that reads the day like "20100419". Have the webparser parse a file named after the days date and have it displayed on the desk. Should be easy enough. And if you want to add something to your calander (I don't know how to make one that displays for the future just yet), you just SSH to your computer and add it.
Haha :) That's incredibly NOT user-friendly!
This guy uses Windows machine. Windows doesn't have SSH server by default so he'll have to resort to 3rd-party solution such as WinSSHD (it's OK and free for personal use).

Then he'll have to find SSH client for his other computers and learn to use it. And what if he wants to edit calendars from his phone? SSH client for his phone!

Then he would have to write a parser, which means he will need to learn how to do that and write it - nevermind that there's probably a suitable one already available.

So that's pretty backward solution you suggesting here. I certainly wouldn't want to waste all that time just to make something that's already exists but I just can't find it.

This is not to say that people shouldn't learn new things but rather they should learn new things when they really need them. As an example, I'm going to learn how to use Ubuntu because my f***ing mainboard no longer boots from HDDs >:/ Definitely wouldn't do that otherwise.
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

You can make your calendar public and access the RSS for it I guess...
asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

dragonmage wrote:You can make your calendar public and access the RSS for it I guess...
This doesn't work well when there's more that 1 calendar.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

asmodeus wrote: Haha :) That's incredibly NOT user-friendly!
This guy uses Windows machine. Windows doesn't have SSH server by default so he'll have to resort to 3rd-party solution such as WinSSHD (it's OK and free for personal use).

Then he'll have to find SSH client for his other computers and learn to use it. And what if he wants to edit calendars from his phone? SSH client for his phone!

Then he would have to write a parser, which means he will need to learn how to do that and write it - nevermind that there's probably a suitable one already available.

So that's pretty backward solution you suggesting here. I certainly wouldn't want to waste all that time just to make something that's already exists but I just can't find it.

This is not to say that people shouldn't learn new things but rather they should learn new things when they really need them. As an example, I'm going to learn how to use Ubuntu because my f***ing mainboard no longer boots from HDDs >:/ Definitely wouldn't do that otherwise.

I offer solutions. They might not be extreamly simple. But they work.
And where did that about the phone come in? If he wants to use a phone, he would need to do a whole new rainmeter. To just look at the computer he would just need someting like tightVNC. And that DOES exist to some phones.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

True, there's VNC and SSH clients for iPhone, pretty nice ones, too. But for simple task of changing calendar - too much work.

You know what would be cool? If RM added native support for GCal! :)
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

It is probably possible for someone to write a plugin to interact with Gcal. If you can find someone to do it, that would be great.
asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

dragonmage wrote:It is probably possible for someone to write a plugin to interact with Gcal. If you can find someone to do it, that would be great.
yeah, but I don't know anyone who could. I bitched about it on IRC though :)) But jsmorley doesn't use GCal and that's the only person I kinda know here who writes skins for RM. Or plugins. Not sure he writes plugins too.
Well, maybe someday!