It is currently April 24th, 2024, 12:53 am

Public Service Announcement: Upgrading to HWiNFO 7.0

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
raiguard

Re: Public Service Announcement: Upgrading to HWiNFO 7.0

Post by raiguard »

This is fantastic news. I waa willing to pay for pro because Martin more than deserves it (and I still might), but for the rainmeter community as a whole, this means HWINFO is not dead. Tell Martin thanks for me please!

I look forward to seeing the new solution.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

raiguard wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:15 pm This is fantastic news. I waa willing to pay for pro because Martin more than deserves it (and I still might), but for the rainmeter community as a whole, this means HWINFO is not dead. Tell Martin thanks for me please!

I look forward to seeing the new solution.
Yeah, I have no problem paying for the Pro version for myself, it's really the right thing to do. However, you really can't distribute skins to folks and expect them to pay for using it. That's not what Rainmeter is all about.
y0himba

Post by y0himba »

jsmorley wrote: March 14th, 2021, 5:26 pm Yeah, I have no problem paying for the Pro version for myself, it's really the right thing to do. However, you really can't distribute skins to folks and expect them to pay for using it. That's not what Rainmeter is all about.
Is there a way to give a positive thank you for a reply? This one needs it.
---
Once up a time there was a now playing signature here. Now it is no more. Maybe someone can make a now playing sig gen for Last.fm? :thumbup:
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

jsmorley wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:42 pm Martin at HWiNFO is a good guy, who is only trying to allow HWiNFO to pay for the enormous amount of work that goes into it on an ongoing basis. Keeping up with all the changes to hardware is just a crazy amount of effort. The Shared Memory support was just being abused by commercial entities who wanted all the power of HWiNFO in their applications, but didn't want to provide any support for the project. The impact on the Rainmeter plugin was an unintended, but unavoidable consequence of addressing that.

I think you will find that the new approach is FAR less complicated to setup than it was before with the old plugin. There is still some effort that will be required by the end-user of your skin(s) to configure things, but much, much less than before. No plugin at all will be required going forward. As I said though, you will indeed need to revise/rewrite all of the skins that currently use HWiNFO.

To be honest, this is going to be so much less complicated to use that I actually welcome the change Martin made. There will be some kerfuffle while everyone adjusts to the new approach, but the end result is going to be really good.

I will be posting a very detailed and hopefully clear explanation of how to set things up and use HWiNFO in your skins as soon as the new version of HWiNFO that supports this is available on their site. Martin hopes to have that done as a new beta version in the coming days.
This is definitely way better, rolling out a plugin based off of that program you sent would have required would either have not been as good an experience or would have required giving Rainmeter way to much permissions. Also as someone who does not daily drive HWiNFO but uses it regularly for debugging hardware issue I would also rather give Martin the support.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

Wow! A big changes coming! It's great! Hell, i cannot wait, i want to look at this! O.O

*pressing F and looking for 25$ in his pockets*
Image * Image * Image * Image
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

deflore08 wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:36 pm Wow! A big changes coming! It's great! Hell, i cannot wait, i want to look at this! O.O

*pressing F and looking for 25$ in his pockets*
Coming soon. Hopefully this week.
deflore08

Post by deflore08 »

jsmorley wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:40 pm Coming soon. Hopefully this week.
Thank you, sir! I can't describe how i thankful, but just to understand.. Mm.. i am ready to share my last beer bottle. Thanks to Martin so! :)
Image * Image * Image * Image
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

We are ready to roll this out!

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=37160

I'd like to try to move this discussion and any support for the new approach over to that thread.