It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:45 pm

Sphere or Hexagon visualizer

General topics related to Rainmeter.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Sphere or Hexagon visualizer

Post by balala »

antonio0421 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 5:29 am VisBubble and others Visualizer are consumed a lot of my potato laptop's CPU usage.
All visualizer skins are consuming much more resources than, let's say average skins, being known for this. This is usually caused by the extremely low Update rate, set in the [Rainmeter] section of these visualizer skins. This low value is required by the fact that to have a usable visualizer, the measures and meters must update much more than once a second. Usually the Update is set to Update=50, or even less, which means the measures have to be updated 20 times per second (or more), which I suppose, gives clearly much more work than an update per second, which is the default Update value, used by vast majority of skins.
antonio0421

Post by antonio0421 »

balala wrote: January 28th, 2021, 6:59 am All visualizer skins are consuming much more resources than, let's say average skins, being known for this. This is usually caused by the extremely low Update rate, set in the [Rainmeter] section of these visualizer skins. This low value is required by the fact that to have a usable visualizer, the measures and meters must update much more than once a second. Usually the Update is set to Update=50, or even less, which means the measures have to be updated 20 times per second (or more), which I suppose, gives clearly much more work than an update per second, which is the default Update value, used by vast majority of skins.
That's it.
My cpu is 10%, if I set update=50 it's raise to 20-25%. If set update=25 it's raise to 30% and if update=0 my CPU will raise to 40% :o
Update=50 more or less is okayish for some visualizers. It's look like waves at the beach.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

antonio0421 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:46 pm That's it.
My cpu is 10%, if I set update=50 it's raise to 20-25%. If set update=25 it's raise to 30% and if update=0 my CPU will raise to 40% :o
Update=50 more or less is okayish for some visualizers. It's look like waves at the beach.
Just FYI, the lowest possible value for Update is 16. Anything below that will still be 16.
antonio0421

Post by antonio0421 »

jsmorley wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:48 pm Just FYI, the lowest possible value for Update is 16. Anything below that will still be 16.
Can I make this lower by change the UpdateDivider?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

antonio0421 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:55 pm Can I make this lower by change the UpdateDivider?
No. UpdateDivider can only make the net result of Update "higher". You can never go lower than 16.

I have to say, an active skin like an audio visualizer set to an update of 16 is going to just eat up CPU like crazy. To be honest, audio visualizers in Rainmeter are just plain expensive. I would personally never give up that much overhead on a regular basis. To each his own though.
antonio0421

Post by antonio0421 »

jsmorley wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:58 pm No. UpdateDivider can only make the net result of Update "higher". You can never go lower than 16.

I have to say, an active skin like an audio visualizer set to an update of 16 is going to just eat up CPU like crazy. To be honest, audio visualizers in Rainmeter are just plain expensive. I would personally never give up that much overhead on a regular basis. To each his own though.
Make sense. I rarely turn on visualizer unlesss I want watch my desktop all day 8-)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

antonio0421 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 1:08 pm Make sense. I rarely turn on visualizer unlesss I want watch my desktop all day 8-)
Sure. I can see it if the idea is to toke up, sit back, and listen to The Who's Tommy while watching cool visual effects on your screen and eating an entire box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts . Just be aware of the cost if you are trying to do this while doing other things with your computer...

51iqG27lMhL._AC_.jpg
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

antonio0421 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:46 pm My cpu is 10%, if I set update=50 it's raise to 20-25%. If set update=25 it's raise to 30% and if update=0 my CPU will raise to 40% :o
antonio0421 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:55 pm Can I make this lower by change the UpdateDivider?
Not sure why would you like to set an even lower Update, if even for Update=50 you have a relativelly high CPU loading, which increases even more on much lower Update.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

antonio0421 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 5:29 amBy the way, I've found some visualizer suit me. :thumbup:
Excellent! :great:
antonio0421 wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:46 pmThat's it.
Agreed. I also have 50 ms set as the overall update of my visualizer skin, in my own skin suite. Of course, in my case, since the skins are small and largely text based, the impact is nowhere that significant as in your case (I managed to bring my suite to around 2%-3% on average with the visualizer active and below 1% without it), but I also found that the 25 ms update was too low and the 50 ms approach seemed to strike the right balance between CPU usage and make the visualizer look reasonably "real-time" / "live".

P.S. So that you know, the visualizer skin is NOT the only trigger for higher CPU usage. Other animated skins (visualizers or not) that are active at the same time, and other programs running in the system ALSO play a part.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Yincognito wrote: January 28th, 2021, 2:14 pm P.S. So that you know, the visualizer skin is NOT the only trigger for higher CPU usage. Other animated skins (visualizers or not) that are active at the same time, and other programs running in the system ALSO play a part.
Generally, the lower the Update is set to, the higher CPU usage is going on a skin. An extremely small increase is going on, even on a simple skin, which has just a string meter, which doesn't even change, if the Update is decreased suficiently. but I suppose this is normal: when the Update is decreased, the measures and meters are much frequently updated, which lead to CPU usage increase.