It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 7:41 pm

[Suggestion] Sub-Categories for "Share Your Creations"

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

[Suggestion] Sub-Categories for "Share Your Creations"

Post by eclectic-tech »

Would it be possible to separate the "Share Your Creations" topic into sub-categories, similar to the Rainmeter/Skins DA site, to make it simpler to find the different type of skins?
SkinSubfolders.png
It doesn't have to be as specific as this, but any amount of categorizing would help.
I have no idea how much work this would involve, but with the changes at DA, it would make it easier to find creations on the forum.
(Like the Dev Team doesn't have enough to do already ;-) )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Sub-Categories for "Share Your Creations"

Post by jsmorley »

I guess this could be done, and I'm not opposed in principle. I would probably reduce the number from that list a quite bit.

One thing to keep in mind is that it would have to start out with a main category of "uncategorized" or some such, as I have no intention of figuring out where over 1,800 current topics belong in that list and moving them...

The actual owners of the current threads can't move them, only a "moderator" can do that. I think this is more or less going to be a "going forward" type of exercise. Folks can make a new post in their topic requesting a move, which we can then do and just delete that request post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

My first pass at a list is:

General
Suites
System Monitoring
Date and Time
Weather
Feed Readers
Sound, Music and Visualizers
Quotes and Notes
Images and Animations
Docks and Launchers

With "General" containing all the current uncategorized topics. We can all work on moving them over time, but it can't possibly happen quickly.

I am certainly open to suggestions about the categories I suggested. I have no doubt it is not perfect.

This is a very "subjective" set of categories, and I have no doubt that the temptation would be to increase the number over time as we run into things that are not a perfect fit in any of them, but I would hope we would resist the urge to steadily grow the number of categories over time. It can easily quickly grow to the point where the whole idea does as much harm as good.

One thing we need to discourage is folks posting the same skin(s) in multiple categories because a set of skins fits in more than one place. They must "pick one", or just put it in "General".
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

I like the first pass, FWIW.

If there was a way to have a page that could aggregate the topics with thumbnail images in a tiled "gallery" format (sort of like this example I saw: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2) maybe even be sortable by most recent, most whatever, then ... DA is a dead duck. And good riddance.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 5:28 pm I like the first pass, FWIW.

If there was a way to have a page that could aggregate the topics with thumbnail images in a tiled "gallery" format (sort of like this example I saw: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2) maybe even be sortable by most recent, most whatever, then ... DA is a dead duck. And good riddance.
Nope. The forums are what they are...
JelleDekkers

Post by JelleDekkers »

jsmorley wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 6:33 pm Nope. The forums are what they are...
Is there maybe a possibility of "pinning" threads to one's profile or something similar? That way you could easily see all of the skins a user has made (provided they'd actually use the feature). Not really anything concrete, just throwing ideas out there for the sake of it.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

JelleDekkers wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:38 pm Is there maybe a possibility of "pinning" threads to one's profile or something similar? That way you could easily see all of the skins a user has made (provided they'd actually use the feature). Not really anything concrete, just throwing ideas out there for the sake of it.
No, there is not.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Make no mistake, we are NOT going to alter the functionality of phpBB at all in order to support this. It just makes keeping current with the latest version of phpBB very difficult, orders of magnitude more difficult than it is now.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

JelleDekkers wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:38 pm Is there maybe a possibility of "pinning" threads to one's profile or something similar? That way you could easily see all of the skins a user has made (provided they'd actually use the feature).
Even if this is not exactly the same, you can use a serch over the Share Your Creation section of the forum, looking for the posts of the desired user.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

jsmorley wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:42 pm Make no mistake, we are NOT going to alter the functionality of phpBB at all in order to support this. It just makes keeping current with the latest version of phpBB very difficult, orders of magnitude more difficult than it is now.
SORRY ... Looks like I didn't read the label...

It was not my intention to replace DA with this suggestion, simply inquire if categorizing skins was a possibility on the forum.

@balala Yes, I use the search feature to narrow down items in this forum. I also will look up a memeber and click the link in their profile to "search this users posts", there are several ways that search can improve finding that "needle in a haystack" post. :)