It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:57 pm

Known issues with webparser causing Rainmeter to crash?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Cariboudjan

Known issues with webparser causing Rainmeter to crash?

Post by Cariboudjan »

I've finally narrowed down the cause of crashing in my skin. It seems to be caused by the webparser, which grabs weather info, gmail info, and exchange rates from an RSS feed. The problem seems to happen when any of these 3 webparser measures update simultaneously to another, or if a skin is deactivated while a webparser is working.

Seems to be a strange exception handling issue. Not sure why it happens.

Almost at the point where I might choose to eliminate any use of webparsers in my skins.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Known issues with webparser causing Rainmeter to crash?

Post by jsmorley »

I don't know. I have 7 skins that are all running that use WebParser for one thing or another, and I don't have any issue.

The one thing that can give WebParser heartburn is to repeatedly refresh a skin while WebParser is actively downloading from a resource.
Cariboudjan

Post by Cariboudjan »

It's a very hard issue to reproduce. I'm moving all of my webparsers into individual ini files instead of relying on UpdateRate, and activating that ini as if it were a function when needed. It seems to be helping.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: November 29th, 2020, 11:48 pm I don't know. I have 7 skins that are all running that use WebParser for one thing or another, and I don't have any issue.

The one thing that can give WebParser heartburn is to repeatedly refresh a skin while WebParser is actively downloading from a resource.
Right now I have only four such skins, but one of them is using three parent WebPasrer measures, each parsing different things. No problems, all skins are working well, Rainmeter doesn't crash at all. So I agree with jsmorley, WebParser rarelly cause troubles, except the described case, but not either then not a total crash.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

balala wrote: November 30th, 2020, 3:10 pm Right now I have only four such skins, but one of them is using three parent WebPasrer measures, each parsing different things. No problems, all skins are working well, Rainmeter doesn't crash at all. So I agree with jsmorley, WebParser rarelly cause troubles, except the described case, but not either then not a total crash.
Yeah, there is something in one or more of his skins that he isn't seeing that is causing this. I'd be suspicious of something like

[SomeWebParserParent]
FinishAction=[!Do this, do that][!Refresh]

Or some other action that is causing a fatal endless loop.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote: November 30th, 2020, 3:20 pm Yeah, there is something in one or more of his skins that he isn't seeing that is causing this. I'd be suspicious of something like

[SomeWebParserParent]
FinishAction=[!Do this, do that][!Refresh]

Or some other action that is causing a fatal endless loop.
Good point. If you are right (and I suppose you are) the solution would be to Cariboudjan pack the configs he is talking about into a pack and upload it here, so we can check.