It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:22 am

[Suggestion] Suppress !DeactivateConfig warnings in the log

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

[Suggestion] Suppress !DeactivateConfig warnings in the log

Post by SilverAzide »

Hello,
I have a suggestion for a very minor enhancement to the !DeactivateConfig bang.

Sometimes folks have skins with a parent-child relationship. For example, a configuration skin with a pop-up color picker skin, or a weather skin with a pop-up "location picker" skin. It is possible in these scenarios to close the parent skin and leave the child skin active, which isn't a huge deal, but is just a little messy. The simple fix for this is when closing a parent, to deactivate all child skins to clean everything up.

Unfortunately, deactivating a skin that isn't active leaves an annoying message in the log:
!DeactivateConfig: "MySkin" not active

I'm not sure how helpful that message is, but in any case there's precedent elsewhere for suppressing unwanted log messages (like WebParser). Could a tweak be added to suppress !DeactivateConfig logging for these type of "close skin whether it's open or not" type of use cases?

I know it is possible to use the ConfigActive plug-in and some additional coding to get fancy, but the ROI for all that is pretty low. I guess for completeness, !DeactivateConfigGroup would also need this same tweak. EDIT: !DeactivateConfigGroup does not output a log message, as described below.

Thanks for listening!
Last edited by SilverAzide on November 28th, 2020, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Suggestion] Suppress !DeactivateConfig warnings in the log

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: November 27th, 2020, 8:49 pm I guess for completeness, !DeactivateConfigGroup would also need this same tweak.
!DeactivateConfigGroup is perfect, avoiding the error message.
To check, replace the !DeactivateConfig bangs with a [!DeactivateConfigGroup "MyGroup"] (use a non-existing config group name). Additionally it's easier to use such a bang, being much shorter than the numerous !DeactivateConfig bangs.
So just include the "child" configs into a group and use !DeactivateConfigGroup.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

balala wrote: November 27th, 2020, 9:37 pm !DeactivateConfigGroup is perfect, avoiding the error message.
To check, replace the !DeactivateConfig bangs with a [!DeactivateConfigGroup "MyGroup"] (use a non-existing config group name). Additionally it's easier to use such a bang, being much shorter than the numerous !DeactivateConfig bangs.
So just include the "child" configs into a group and use !DeactivateConfigGroup.
Excellent! Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: November 27th, 2020, 9:48 pm Excellent! Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:
Did you try it out? Did it supress the message?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

balala wrote: November 27th, 2020, 9:51 pm Did you try it out? Did it supress the message?
Yep, works great and it's easier too, as you mentioned.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

SilverAzide wrote: November 28th, 2020, 12:32 am Yep, works great and it's easier too, as you mentioned.
I'm glad. :great: