It is currently April 18th, 2024, 3:28 pm

Rainmeter starting automatically when charger connected

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter starting automatically when charger connected

Post by jsmorley »

Have you ever installed Rainmeter "As administrator"? I wonder if that could possibly be a factor. I don't know.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote: November 11th, 2020, 2:03 pm maybe with admin rights it would work ok ... windows always likes full rights... maybe it needed elevated rights... :sly:
Well, my question was more related to whether or not he had ever previously installed Rainmeter "As administrator". My thinking was that perhaps, and I don't know, Windows is less likely to allow the latest installation, which was presumably done NOT "As administrator", to modify the previous installation. I don't have any reason to really believe this, since in any case all Rainmeter does is put that shortcut in Startup, which you either can or can't delete, but who knows what Windows does under the covers.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

The Start menu is a union of three different folders. A Start menu shortcut can be in any of those three places. For the "Startup" folder itself, it is these three unioned together:
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
  • C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
  • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
The first one is where Rainmeter's shortcut goes (normally). If someone, or something, were to move or copy that shortcut to one or more of the other folders, then Rainmeter's uninstaller probably wouldn't see it. I think the third folder corresponds to the "All Users" folder, which might be where it could go if installing for "all users" (not sure if that is a thing anymore... it used to be).
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote: November 11th, 2020, 4:52 pm The Start menu is a union of three different folders. A Start menu shortcut can be in any of those three places. For the "Startup" folder itself, it is these three unioned together:
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
  • C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
  • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
The first one is where Rainmeter's shortcut goes (normally). If someone, or something, were to move or copy that shortcut to one or more of the other folders, then Rainmeter's uninstaller probably wouldn't see it. I think the third folder corresponds to the "All Users" folder, which might be where it could go if installing for "all users" (not sure if that is a thing anymore... it used to be).
Well, it's a union in a logical sense, but not really an actual union, in that the Startup folders for

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Are both checked to see if they contain programs or shortcuts when Windows starts up.

The one in AppData is the start menu associated with a named account, the one that logged in. Presumably you, but it might not be if you share your computer.
The one in ProgramData is the "all users" Start menu, which is used no matter what account logs in.

The one in Default is used as a "template" when you create a new account on the system. Nothing in Startup there (in any case the folder doesn't exist by default) will be executed.
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Post by rbriddickk84 »

jsmorley wrote: November 11th, 2020, 1:52 pm Strange. I have no idea what might have been put in some dark corner of Windows for this. Certainly it wasn't Rainmeter directly, as literally all the installer does it put that shortcut in Startup.
My suspicion goes to windows as well, it created something evil somewhere. :D
Weirdly Rainmeter launched only when i plugged in to power my laptop. (and ofc when i launched it)
jsmorley wrote: November 11th, 2020, 1:52 pm Have you ever installed Rainmeter "As administrator"? I wonder if that could possibly be a factor. I don't know.
Uhm, not really. I tried to make my windows as elevated as possible in rights. I mean i am the only person, who is using that windows and laptop, i so used to modify the windows, even in the XP and 7 era to minimize the stuffs what windows puts in my face. I meant that that "confirm this and that you have the admin rights" and sht. I wanted to remove all unnecessary confirmations as possible.

I know that windows cannot be castrated that much what i dreamt of, but i tried. Also i know that even if i have the highest priviliges in windows, if i run things specifically As Admin, then the outcome will differ.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I would be curious to know which version of Rainmeter you are using.

A while back, I corrected an issue where the "Launch Rainmeter on startup" option would not be removed when unchecked.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/history/#r3279

-Brian
rbriddickk84
Rainmeter Sage

Post by rbriddickk84 »

Brian wrote: November 12th, 2020, 12:16 am I would be curious to know which version of Rainmeter you are using.

A while back, I corrected an issue where the "Launch Rainmeter on startup" option would not be removed when unchecked.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/history/#r3279

-Brian
I am using the latest Beta version (4.4.0.3408), though i was paying extra attention to the hidden startup folders before/after reinstallations!
Nothing was there, all the startup folders were empty and remained like that.
I don't think Rainmeter is responsible for this phenomena.
:uhuh: :???:

So far, since i removed the "leftover" files with that uninstaller program, the issue is gone now, and did not returned.
So i think the problem is with windows. Maybe some update made some registry entry or other thing, which wasn't directly connected with Rainmeter and it's uninstaller, so it remained hidden and left back. And with a simple reinstall process it activated again as a Bug in windows.
My thinking was based on that is Rainmeter wasn't launched when the system started up, it launched when i connected to power. Without connected, it did not started, but with connected it started at the time of connection/or connected starting up.
That smells like...windows spirit. :D