It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:00 pm

Rainmeter does NOT start

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
TweezY

Rainmeter does NOT start

Post by TweezY »

I installed Rainmeter ,downloaded a theme and installed it ,but when i try to start rainmeter to apply the theme it wont start. I tried starting as administrator ,installed a older version of rainmeter ,restarted my Computer ,searched for Windows Updates (installed the 10/2020 update) ,but that didnt help. Hope someone can help me :/

Info:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Theme that i want to install:
big sur beta 3
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter does NOT start

Post by eclectic-tech »

TweezY wrote: November 7th, 2020, 2:58 am I installed Rainmeter ,downloaded a theme and installed it ,but when i try to start rainmeter to apply the theme it wont start. I tried starting as administrator ,installed a older version of rainmeter ,restarted my Computer ,searched for Windows Updates (installed the 10/2020 update) ,but that didnt help. Hope someone can help me :/

Info:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Theme that i want to install:
big sur beta 3
Big Sur does not have a "theme" included, you must load each skin that you want to use by opening Manage dialog.

Do you see the "raindrop icon" in the notification area?
If not, then Rainmeter may have crashed... follow the steps here to find out what is causing the problem: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=27981
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

TweezY wrote: November 7th, 2020, 2:58 am I installed Rainmeter ,downloaded a theme and installed it ,but when i try to start rainmeter to apply the theme it wont start. I tried starting as administrator ,installed a older version of rainmeter ,restarted my Computer ,searched for Windows Updates (installed the 10/2020 update) ,but that didnt help. Hope someone can help me :/
Besides eclectic-tech's reply, I suppose you've loaded some skins from that package, because the package indeed has no "theme" (in Rainmeter this is called layout, not theme), as eclectic-tech said. If you have loaded any, I suppose one of those skins is hanging on Rainmeter. Most propbably one which is using the included Backlight plugin, but not basolutely necessary.
What I recommend is to launch Rainmeter by keeping hold Ctrl key. Rainmeter Safe Start dialog appears, asking if you want to start Rainmeter in "safe mode". Click Yes. This way Rainmeter loads the default illustro skins, which most probably will let it to start normally.
If it indeed has started, you can start loading the skins of the Big Sur package one at a time (if you know which ones had you have loaded, load those). When loading any, wait a minute or two, to make sure it is working well. When loading certain of those skins (the culprit one), Rainmeter probably will hang on.
If it does, you found the skin which is causing the trouble. Please come back and post which is it, then we'll see what can we do.
TweezY

Post by TweezY »

balala wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:02 am Besides eclectic-tech's reply, I suppose you've loaded some skins from that package, because the package indeed has no "theme" (in Rainmeter this is called layout, not theme), as eclectic-tech said. If you have loaded any, I suppose one of those skins is hanging on Rainmeter. Most propbably one which is using the included Backlight plugin, but not basolutely necessary.
What I recommend is to launch Rainmeter by keeping hold Ctrl key. Rainmeter Safe Start dialog appears, asking if you want to start Rainmeter in "safe mode". Click Yes. This way Rainmeter loads the default illustro skins, which most probably will let it to start normally.
If it indeed has started, you can start loading the skins of the Big Sur package one at a time (if you know which ones had you have loaded, load those). When loading any, wait a minute or two, to make sure it is working well. When loading certain of those skins (the culprit one), Rainmeter probably will hang on.
If it does, you found the skin which is causing the trouble. Please come back and post which is it, then we'll see what can we do.
https://youtu.be/B4thqEHekuM

I did everything but that changes nothing. Here is a video where you can see that rainmeter is not starting. I tried it with ctrl but that didnt work too.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Using CTRL when you start Rainmeter is new in the beta version of Rainmeter and won't work in the release version.

To fix this, use Windows Explorer and go to:

%APPDATA%\Rainmeter

Delete or rename the file Rainmeter.ini you find there.

Now start Rainmeter.

That will start Rainmeter in the "default" mode, with just the Illustro skins that come with Rainmeter being loaded.

Assuming that works ok, and I'm betting it will, then you can unload the Illustro skins and start loading the skins (one at a time) you downloaded until you find the one that is crashing Rainmeter.
TweezY

Post by TweezY »

jsmorley wrote: November 7th, 2020, 3:42 pm Using CTRL when you start Rainmeter is new in the beta version of Rainmeter and won't work in the release version.

To fix this, use Windows Explorer and go to:

%APPDATA%\Rainmeter

Delete or rename the file Rainmeter.ini you find there.

Now start Rainmeter.

That will start Rainmeter in the "default" mode, with just the Illustro skins that come with Rainmeter being loaded.

Assuming that works ok, and I'm betting it will, then you can unload the Illustro skins and start loading the skins (one at a time) you downloaded until you find the one that is crashing Rainmeter.
I deleted rainmeter.ini and i was able to start rainmeter but when i load a skin/theme it crashes instantly. If you want you can try it yourself through teamviewer.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

TweezY wrote: November 7th, 2020, 4:03 pm I deleted rainmeter.ini and i was able to start rainmeter but when i load a skin/theme it crashes instantly. If you want you can try it yourself through teamviewer.
No, you just need to track down which specific skin is causing it, then you can .zip up that skin folder and attach it here and someone can look at it to see if we can figure out what is wrong with it.
TweezY

Post by TweezY »

jsmorley wrote: November 7th, 2020, 4:08 pm No, you just need to track down which specific skin is causing it, then you can .zip up that skin folder and attach it here and someone can look at it to see if we can figure out what is wrong with it.
I tried it with the default skin ,i downloaded 3 skins from devianart and no one worked. The program crashes ,i dont think a skin is causing that
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

TweezY wrote: November 7th, 2020, 4:11 pm I tried it with the default skin ,i downloaded 3 skins from devianart and no one worked. The program crashes ,i dont think a skin is causing that
When you delete Rainmeter.ini, the Illustro skins load ok right?
TweezY

Post by TweezY »

jsmorley wrote: November 7th, 2020, 4:15 pm When you delete Rainmeter.ini, the Illustro skins load ok right?
no it does not load