It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:38 pm

I'm new and up for the challenge !

Introduce yourself to the Rainmeter community!
komdurdo

I'm new and up for the challenge !

Post by komdurdo »

Hey y'all !
Just discovered this amazing tool with endless possibilities and i think i might be up for the challenge !
I got a pretty good Idea of what i would like my end product to look like and it already makes me want to ask questions to know if some of this stuff is doable !
I'll try to explain thoroughly my concept when i'll learn a little more about rainmeter through the user manual :D

For now i just would like to know if 3 things are feasable :
1) Is it possible protect a folder/icon/file with a password through honeycombs ? (Is it possible for it to ask a question ? A randomized question ? The password wouldn't have to change)
2) Is it possible to unfold a honeycomb when passing through it with the pointer ? Like when it flies over it a different honeycomb appear ?
3) Is it possible to stack a wp over another ? Meaning i'd like the wallpaper to react to the fact my pointer is over certain icons of my honeycomb and change the wallpaper accordingly ? (example : I hover over mozilla and the wallpaper display a kawaiii fox in the water :oops: )

I hope i find a place in this community to preach the good word about this aawwesome tool !
I'll be seeing y'all! :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: I'm new and up for the challenge !

Post by balala »

komdurdo wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm Just discovered this amazing tool with endless possibilities and i think i might be up for the challenge !
Welcome aboard, komdurdo. I completely agree with you: Rainmeter is indeed a great tool.
komdurdo wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm 1) Is it possible protect a folder/icon/file with a password through honeycombs ? (Is it possible for it to ask a question ? A randomized question ? The password wouldn't have to change)
If you'd like to completely protect a folder / icon with Rainmeter in a way to get it not openable only with a password, this is not possible at all, because:
jsmorley wrote: July 1st, 2013, 10:49 pm However, what Rainmeter isn't is a tool to replace or enhance core Windows functionality outside of that desktop. We have no interest in, nor any intention to try, wresting control of functions that in the nature of things belongs to to the operating system.
Rainmeter is not for this kind of stuffs.
Howvere if you want to protect the folder / file only through a Rainmeter skin (so in this case the password will be required only if you want to open the folder or file with the skin), well this for sure is possible, but makes not too much sense.
komdurdo wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm 2) Is it possible to unfold a honeycomb when passing through it with the pointer ? Like when it flies over it a different honeycomb appear ?
So when you're hovering the mouse over it? However I1m not sure I understand what you mean by "unfold", so can't answer (sorry, my English...).
komdurdo wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm 3) Is it possible to stack a wp over another ? Meaning i'd like the wallpaper to react to the fact my pointer is over certain icons of my honeycomb and change the wallpaper accordingly ? (example : I hover over mozilla and the wallpaper display a kawaiii fox in the water :oops: )
This definitely is possible using the !SetWallpaper bang, howeveryou have to take care beacuse if youu're doing such a thing and you're hovering the mouse over more icons (skins) quickly one after the other, you'll get Rainmeter hanged up. It's not a very good idea in my opinion, especially if you'll want to distribute your skin here on forum.
komdurdo

Post by komdurdo »

Hi and thanks for you quick answer !
When i say "unfold", i mean being able to put my mouse on an icon and clicking on it it would show more files in it !
Like i'm thinking about a gaming category, when clicking on it, it would show my games !
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

komdurdo wrote: October 26th, 2020, 12:39 am When i say "unfold", i mean being able to put my mouse on an icon and clicking on it it would show more files in it !
Like i'm thinking about a gaming category, when clicking on it, it would show my games !
Yep, definitely possible, just have to create the subsequent icons, hide them on refresh of the skin, then show them when you click on the icon you'd like to use to reveal the hidden icons. If you don't know how to achieve this, just let me know please to assist you.
komdurdo

Post by komdurdo »

Thanks a lot !
I need to clean up my computer first because i want to do this right ! :D
I'll be back with a few questions on this post if that's okay with you !
Thanks a lot
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

komdurdo wrote: October 27th, 2020, 2:05 am I need to clean up my computer first because i want to do this right ! :D
I'll be back with a few questions on this post if that's okay with you !
Ok, as you wish. Let us know when you have questions.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

komdurdo wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 6:28 pm1) Is it possible protect a folder/icon/file with a password through honeycombs ? (Is it possible for it to ask a question ? A randomized question ? The password wouldn't have to change)
While Windows can do that (and a Rainmeter skin can get you a few steps into the process), the process is somewhat limited and applies to the entire drive, as far as I know. I'd forget about this variant.

A much easier and flexible variant would be to just compress the desired folder/file with some compression software, e.g. WinRar / WinZip / 7-Zip / etc. There, you can set the password to your liking, set the compression to "None" if you only want the password feature and you're not interested in actually compressing the item, and so on. Sure, the result won't be an actual folder or an icon file, but it will get the job done. Most of these compression tools, if not all, have command line abilities, so they should be fairly easy to run by a RunCommand measure in a Rainmeter skin. As for a randomized question and such, maybe the Quote plugin can be used for such a task.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth