It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:42 am

Small docs suggestions

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
Jeff

Re: Small docs suggestions

Post by Jeff »

https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/measures/webparser/#ProxyServer

1. With IE being phase out, the /auto option will probably stop working on Windows 11, correct?
If all of a sudden the proxy settings get converted from the IE settings to the new Settings window (like MS would ever warn you about that), I don't think it will be a problem, but in case it DOES happen to be phased out and MS to not create pointers for those, just wanted to give a heads-up

2. You guys say This must be set in a [WebParser.dll] section in Rainmeter.data. but the snippet is literally copy pasted from the code box above without any change, so the example there doesn't make sense if you copy paste it in Rainmeter.data as well
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Jeff wrote: October 1st, 2021, 4:16 pm 1. With IE being phase out, the /auto option will probably stop working on Windows 11, correct?
If all of a sudden the proxy settings get converted from the IE settings to the new Settings window (like MS would ever warn you about that), I don't think it will be a problem, but in case it DOES happen to be phased out and MS to not create pointers for those, just wanted to give a heads-up
We will update this once Windows 11 comes out. Even if IE does not exist on Windows 11, they will have to have these settings "somewhere". With Windows 10 (and prior versions), you can get to these settings via the internet options control panel item inetcpl.cpl without having to open IE at all.

Jeff wrote: October 1st, 2021, 4:16 pm 2. You guys say This must be set in a [WebParser.dll] section in Rainmeter.data. but the snippet is literally copy pasted from the code box above without any change, so the example there doesn't make sense if you copy paste it in Rainmeter.data as well
I fixed this. We recently changed both ProxyServer and UserAgent to use [Webparser] (without the ".dll") in Rainmeter.data, but the old way still works. Thanks for the heads up!

-Brian
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Brian wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 7:47 pm We will update this once Windows 11 comes out. Even if IE does not exist on Windows 11, they will have to have these settings "somewhere". With Windows 10 (and prior versions), you can get to these settings via the internet options control panel item inetcpl.cpl without having to open IE at all.

inetcpl.cpl is still supported in Windows 11. In addition, this can be changed directly in Settings, now that Internet Explorer is entirely gone in Windows. There are "stubs" for iexplore.exe in Windows 11, but they simply run Microsoft Edge.

1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Understood (from both of you)!
I expected Internet Explorer to be just the most simple HTTP protocol and that on top of it settings were built like extensions, that's why I imagined something crucial like proxy settings would be built on IE without any thought from Microsoft.
That means I'll have to edit an announcement since there's misleading info in it now :v
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hey, while I am here, will the Important Links section ever get updated?

I'm asking because, since it was last updated, there have been a few new additions. Right now it's divided like:
- Other communities: DeviantART, /r/Rainmeter, Lifehacker (which has been infested by RainmeterBase)
- Text editors (and extensions): Notepad++, RainLexer, Sublime Text 2 Editor, Sublime Rainmeter
- External dependencies: AutoIT, NirCmd, Core Temp, SpeedFan
- Fonts: DaFont

While it does the job, there have been quite a lot of developments, for each category you now should have as well:
- Text editors (and extensions): VS Code and extension, Atom and marcopixel's extension (person who beautified the docs and home page)
- External dependencies: HWiNFO (surprised it's not there), AutoHotKey (saying this because as of recently death.crafter, Jax and khanhas have made popular skins (Keystrokes by Jax and death.crafter; Polybar/Notch by khanhas, which is also featured on the front page) that use it), Python 3.5 (this one is very rigid, there is a small number of people that use Python and the Python Script Plugin, so add this only if you're confident it will be used)
- Fonts: Google Fonts, NerdFonts

While most likely not a lot of people access that portion of the forum, it would still be nice to bring it up to times with new changes with community changes (I'm speculating that AutoIT being there and the random AutoIT example in the plugins page may conclude that the section was only modified ever by one singular dev when it was first made)
If it helps, maybe in the future the Rainmeter Docs would also have a similar section (if the Important Links section on the forum is not accessed at all)
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Oh, and I just remembered, on the Rainmeter Discord (enter at your own risk, young adults invaded the place) where people are more focused on how stuff looks (by extension the same happens on reddit), we also have an extension of too many wallpaper sites, we should modify it too to be similar to the Important Links section on the forum, but this is what we have
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

RainmeterBase seems to be gone, which is fine by me...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

jsmorley wrote: October 9th, 2021, 3:08 pm RainmeterBase seems to be gone, which is fine by me...
Yeah, "gone"
What about the other suggestions?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Jeff wrote: October 9th, 2021, 4:08 pm Yeah, "gone"
What about the other suggestions?
I will revisit that "Important Links" area soon...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Probably not worthwhile, but Rainmeter dosen't have something equivalent to Lua's s:format("%02d") for leading zeros

I'm asking if to the Animated .GIF Files page, for people who's file naming scheme is something like frame0001.png, if an instruction/note that tells you to add

Code: Select all

RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="(^\d\d\d$)":"0\0","(^\d\d$)":"00\0","(^\d$)":"000\0"

; "(^\d$)":"0\0"
; for only one leading zero

; "(^\d\d$)":"0\0","(^\d$)":"00\0"
; for only two leading zeros

; "(^\d\d\d$)":"0\0","(^\d\d$)":"00\0","(^\d$)":"000\0"
; for three leading zeros
(obviously modified to have the correct number of leading zeros and all of that) to [ImageNumberCalc] could be added

Where and how is up to you, just suggesting it since the solution is out there and it could be easier to have on that page

Well that was a small doc suggestion, finally living up to the thread name