Developer

Re: Sliders...

Post by jsmorley »

I have not been following this closely, but there is a simple rule:

[Variables]
App1=C:\Program Files\MyProgram\MyProgram.exe

[Meter]
LeftMouseUpAction=["#App1#"]

It should always be that way, always, without exception, don't worry about spaces or no spaces in the value, just assume there always are.

- Never put quotes around option values, that serves no purpose.
- Always put quotes around string value parameters in [!Bangs] or other [actions].
brax64

Post by brax64 »

jsmorley wrote: August 10th, 2020, 1:40 pm I have not been following this closely, but there is a simple rule:

[Variables]

[Meter]

It should always be that way, always, without exception, don't worry about spaces or no spaces in the value, just assume there always are.

- Never put quotes around option values, that serves no purpose.
- Always put quotes around string value parameters in !Bangs or other actions.
Yep, learnt the lesson! ;-)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

brax64 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 4:33 am Any way to fix that?
I came just now so I'm not sure, but I suppose the issue is solved. Am I right? Beacuse I see some weird things in the code.
brax64

Post by brax64 »

balala wrote: August 10th, 2020, 3:18 pm I came just now so I'm not sure, but I suppose the issue is solved. Am I right? Beacuse I see some weird things in the code.
Hi balala,

yes, the skin is working now, but if you want to have a look and maybe suggest any kind of optimization that would be great.
It's always important for me to hear your point of view.
few post before there's the rmskin file that you may download.

Thank you very much!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

brax64 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 3:23 pm yes, the skin is working now, but if you want to have a look and maybe suggest any kind of optimization that would be great.
few post before there's the rmskin file that you may download.
This one?
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=181623#p181611
brax64 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 3:23 pm It's always important for me to hear your point of view.
Why mine?
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: August 10th, 2020, 1:40 pm I have not been following this closely, but there is a simple rule:

[Variables]

[Meter]

What about programs that have parameters? As far as I know, Rainmeter (or explorer.exe, don't know for sure) requires that it should be written as ["Program" "Parameter"] in a direct execution bang. If one uses the format you recommeded, the bang becomes ["Program Parameter"] after the variable is replaced with its actual value, and that won't run properly. On the other hand, moving the quotes in the variable itself instead of in the bang allows them to be placed appropriately, depending on context.

For example, this is a code that will run Civ 4 without issues (didn't know what other example to use, so bear with me):

Code: Select all

[Variables]
Command=""D:\Software\Games\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="K-Mod""

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=47,47,47,255

---Meters---

[MeterTest]
Meter=STRING
X=0
Y=0
FontFace=Consolas
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=47,47,47,255
Padding=5,5,5,5
FontSize=16
AntiAlias=1
Text="Click To Run Program"
LeftMouseUpAction=[#Command#]
DynamicVariables=1
On the other hand, doing the way you recommended doesn't work (or I am missing something to make it work?):

Code: Select all

[Variables]
Command=D:\Software\Games\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe mod=K-Mod

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=47,47,47,255

---Meters---

[MeterTest]
Meter=STRING
X=0
Y=0
FontFace=Consolas
FontColor=255,255,255,255
SolidColor=47,47,47,255
Padding=5,5,5,5
FontSize=16
AntiAlias=1
Text="Click To Run Program"
LeftMouseUpAction=["#Command#"]
DynamicVariables=1
Sure, the parameter could be placed in its own variable and such, but that's not really an option if there are multiple commands which you don't know if they'll have parameters or not.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

balala wrote: August 10th, 2020, 4:37 pmWhy mine?
Because you are a Rainmeter Sage? And a helpful guy? :sly:
brax64

Post by brax64 »

balala wrote: August 10th, 2020, 4:37 pm This one?
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=181623#p181611

Why mine?
Yes that 's the skin.
Well, I like your approach on how to solve problems, and your knowledge about Rainmeter it seems, at least to me as a beginner as myself, bottomless.
There are,obviously, many other great people here (i.e. jsmorley, eclectic-tech, Yincognito just to name a few and may many others...) that I love to follow that have a very deep knowledge of this software and coding in general but, more often then not, you go for the extra miles to get at the very bottom of the issues.
And with that I don't mean that the others don't do that, it just a feeling, like you like better a writer respect others...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

brax64 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 5:01 pm...but, more often then not, you go for the extra miles to get at the very bottom of the issues. And with that I don't mean that the others don't do that, it just a feeling, like you like better a writer respect others...
You nailed it right there. It's my feeling as well - and might be hard to believe now, but balala helped me as well tremendously improving my own Rainmeter knowledge over time (along with the other "greats" here like jsmorley, eclectic-tech, SilverAzide, etc). Me, I'm not that great, I'm just a normal guy who likes challenges and perfection. :oops: